I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Looking for a pic of an idea
Posted by: Nathan Smith (---.qc.sympatico.ca)
Date: January 02, 2006 04:08PM

Hey guys

I am looking into getting a custom Fronteir mx tied up very nicely or a loomis IMX for steelhead fishing. I have decided that the theme for the wraps is going to be black and blue and this where I come to a road block.

The plan is to use black wraps with blue accents, with a Ti colour SIC guide... until I thought about Getting the guides I have seen that have a Ti colour frame with the blue insert.

I was wondering your opinions and if anyone maybe has a picture with a blue insert in a guide on a grey/black blank so I can try to picture if I should go for that or just a plain Ti SIC guide.

also is there a company that makes SIC guides where the insert is blue?

Nate

Thanks alot for any help

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Looking for a pic of an idea
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 02, 2006 04:44PM

Hi Nate,
Your email address is hidden so I posted a photo on the photo section of Blue Zirconium ring guide with a chrome frame.

Hope this helps.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Date: January 02, 2006 04:53PM

Thanks alot. By the way is that an SIC guide or what type? thanks

Nate

keep it coming please, all opinions are more than appreciated

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2006 04:54PM by Nathan Smith.

Date: January 02, 2006 04:54PM

Un-hide your email address of send me one

Raymond Adams

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.onspeed.com)
Date: January 02, 2006 06:32PM

Here is another picture of a Forecast Ti frame with a blue insert. [www.rodbuilding.org]

Bob

Date: January 02, 2006 07:23PM

Is there a really big difference between Ti inserts and SIC?

Nate

that pic is perfect thanks alot

Date: January 02, 2006 08:16PM

I think the guide is an Amtak Zirconium not SiC

Raymond Adams

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 02, 2006 08:25PM

HERESY WARNING: SIC is the smoothest, most durable material out there for guide inserts and their relative cost reflects that. (here comes the 'heresy') I doubt that 90+% of the fishermen out there can tell the difference between an SIC guide and the American Tackle, Batson, PacBay, Zirconium or TiG guides when fishing with them or in terms of "durability". The "new" composition guides are tough enough to handle any line you're likely to run through them for many years before any 'wear' shows up.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.il-chicago0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: January 02, 2006 09:10PM

Nathan,
The black frame/blue ring guides look nice on a steelhead rod also.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: January 02, 2006 09:24PM

Their catalogs show the pictures fine, too. You might try getting some of these catalogs for your current project and for future ones, too. Their pics are very professional and show the detail you're looking for.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Nathan Smith (---.sympatico.ca)
Date: January 02, 2006 10:49PM

Hey guys

The only reason I ask about the quality difference in the two types of guides if that I currently have Ti Halogen (zicroniam I beleive) coloured inserts on my custom rainshadow. Now I have had the rod for 4 years almost now and fish it alot because im only 15 and afterschool = fishing time usually (4 times a week atleast). I have noticed some 'wear ion the guides mainly the colour is no longer as sharp and eye catching as it once was. Don’t get me wring the rod is great but it is a bit heavy as I think this was tied on the older rainshadow blanks which I believe were heavier. I just don’t want so much work to be put into this rod to have the guides finish dull out and if it will do that in a few years id sooner go with the SiC guides from pac bay.

Nate

really appreciate all of the opinions

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 03, 2006 06:14AM

Nathan -
You're right that the pretty finish on the guides' rings will "dull out" - more so and quicker if you fish salt or brackish water (and neglect to rinse off the rod in clear fresh water). Early, early on American Tackle had problems with the thickness/quality of the finish on the guide frames as well - but I think that is solved and now "history". PacBay used to have a problem with their gold framed guide - the guide still looked gold but over time looked considerably "duller" than the Fuji brand frames. I don't know if that is still the case or not - I just haven't had a call for gold-framed guides so I haven't had a need to order more from PacBay, Fuji or anyone else. SIC is a grey / black colored insert that has no pretty finish on top of it so it will always stay the same color. Neither the SIC nor the Zirconium rings will "wear out" (in my lifetime - but I'm not as young as you are). Here's what I can say about one configuration. I made up a set of trolling rods using American Tackle black finish over brass with a gold inner ring that have been used for the last 4 years on the Chesapeake Bay virtually every day 8+ hours / day from April through December pulling heavy braided trolling lines (80lb line). The most "damage" to the original black frame/gold inner ring guides is that the gold is duller (not as shiny) - and it's time for me to touch up the wraps because they're dulled from the effects of saltwater, sun and flexing.

Posted by: Grant Darby (169.204.109.---)
Date: January 03, 2006 11:37AM

I've got a lot of the Forecast blue and gold ring guides on the water and they seem to hold up just fine. Finished a repair on a Hot Shot blank with the gold rings thats almost two years old, used about 100 days a year on rivers and the guides looked bright.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster