I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank suggestions
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nj-01.cvx.algx.net)
Date: January 01, 2006 02:18PM

Happy New Year All !!

Looking for a Quality blank for bone fishing. 7' 4 piece Got to throw a hook with a piece of crab meat on a country mile, on 10 lb test line. Guy said the last one was to stiff.
Looked at Dan Craft, was thinking of CTS for some color ?
Maybe with Titan guides ? Looking for suggestions

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2006 02:55PM by bill boettcher.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank suggestions
Posted by: tom nair (---.ptldor.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 01, 2006 02:36PM

Those CTS blanks, they are pretty nice looking. I hope to get one sometime.

Posted by: John Dow (---.245.167.198.Dial1.Stamford1.Level3.net)
Date: January 01, 2006 07:13PM

Bill , I have built some spinning rods out of fly blanks for some older gents looking to throw a small bubble and fly on my gun club lake . I generaly use a 2 pc 8' or 8'6" 4 or 5 wt and nibble a bit off the tip or butt (depending on the blank) to suit there perticular needs. The guys use a very small spinning reels with 4 or 6 lb mono, the fish are in the 14-20" range. I set them up "New Concept style" , with the last 4 or 5 fly guides and an unbraced tip top . I think one issue will be length , but if you look around , I'm sure you can find somthing to fit . I'm not firmilliar with the live baits (crabs) and how heavy they are , but the bubble and fly are pretty light . Some guys inject a bit of water into the bubble to add some weight , but it's still light and they can throw them a long way .
Another problem will be the pure strength of the fish , I believe most 8wt fly rods will handle almost any bone fish (though I never have fished for them ) so that may be the route you may have to go .
Let me know what you come up with . John

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: January 01, 2006 07:44PM

Boy, you sure would have an easier time with a 3 piece blank getting what you want. A blank like the Shikari P, IP,PP 7000 or Loomis P8400 in a multi piece might put you in the ballpark from your discription. The Rainshadow IP 841 may also be in there, but you'd have to find someone to make one 4 piece. Where is the original to stiff? These blanks have soft tips, beef up quickly about 1/3 back.

Date: January 01, 2006 08:55PM

That is what I started to look at, fly blanks. A tip action would probably work well.
The guy wanted two and I have to find out about colors. That's why the CTS and now I'm looking at GUSA blanks also.I'm thinking a hook and small piece of meat about 3/8 - 1/2 oz ?

Posted by: John Dow (---.245.155.36.Dial1.Stamford1.Level3.net)
Date: January 02, 2006 12:35AM

Bill , an 8 or 9 wt will handle that weight . An FT would be perfect for that , but I'm not sure if Dan has one as short as you need . I don't recall seeing any thing over a 5 or 6wt that short on any site I've looked at . You could always try a 5 pc 10 wt and drop the butt ,St Croix has one in SC4 . Not sure how much power you would loose with out that bottom section though . I think you are going to have to actually have a couple of blanks in your hands to give a shake and feel to see if they'll work . That's a pretty tough spec to find somthing for . Good luck . John

Got Fish ?

Date: January 02, 2006 12:52AM

I know what you mean. My eyes are starting to cross from looking at so many blanks !!??
The only one that my " guts " tell me will work nice is a Rainshadow 7' spin in a 3 PC. Plus got a nice color on the emerald green. The ISP843 - 3 has a mod-fast action.

Posted by: John Dow (---.245.155.36.Dial1.Stamford1.Level3.net)
Date: January 02, 2006 01:10AM

You think that will handle an 8lb bonefish ? I just looked around on some sites and didn't see too much to fit that bill , and he wants a choice of color too ................ the 3 makes me think it's a bit light , but I've only built a 782-2 . Do you have access to one to feel one before you have to buy ?

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: January 02, 2006 04:44AM

What is the SECTION LENGTH limitation
that this customer has? ... ~24 inches?

Maybe a 3-piece RAINSHADOW SB-84-(1 or 3 power) -3 (piece) would fit his length restriction. These 3-pc, 7-foot sections are ~ 30 inches long. This series is a Spin-Bass blank in RX-6 Graphite (~$45 retail, $35 dealer).

Otherwise maybe a longer 5-piece fly rod can have one section omitted from the butt end and have the right section length, and overall length and power.

If FLY-WT = __ / 16ths OUNCE LURE-RATING for spinner
If FLY-WT = __ POUNDS of LINE-RATING for a spinning rod

If you want a 3/8th - 1/2 ounce bait, then a
5-piece 9-foot 8-wt fast-action fly-rod
without the butt section could fit the bill:

RainShadow (F908-5): F-90-8-5
5-piece 9-foot 8-wt FLY rod in RX-6 Graphite
These sections should be ~ (23-24) inches long.
F908-5: ~$48-retail; ~$39-dealer
Butt OD 0.400". Tip OD 4.5 / 64ths.
Action: Moderate-Fast. Weight: 2.15 oz
Color: Dark Blue Gloss

There are also 6-wt and 7-wt rods in this 5-pc series,
and a 5-pc 8'6" 5-wt (drop the tip section?) mod-fast.

For more information, contact:
www.FISHSTICKS4U.com
Robert Tignor <[email protected]>
Home Office: (804) 746-9711

-Cliff Hall+++

Date: January 02, 2006 09:12AM

Good info Cliff
You missed the ISP-843-3 RX-7 graphite blank of Batsons.
He was talking about 36" of case space so I have plenty of room. Plus it comes in the emerald green. Nice color.
I was also thinking of a longer blank, on the flats there is plenty of room to cast, plus the longer rod would help get it out there.

What would a hook and piece of crab meat weight ??? That's why I was thinking about 3/8 oz ?

John
there is another a little heaver, the picture he sent me with a bonefish in it, a good size bass is larger ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2006 09:21AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: John Dow (---.245.167.239.Dial1.Stamford1.Level3.net)
Date: January 02, 2006 09:34AM

I didn't see the Rainshadows that Cliff mentioned , looks like one of those might do it . If you can get away with a 7- 8 ft rod , I think you will have no problem finding an 8 or 9wt 9', 5 pc and dropping the butt . As long as there is enough Power left .
Let me know what you choose , I'ld be interested in finding out , Thanks John

Got Fish ?

Date: January 02, 2006 09:43AM

This is the part I hate. Picking just the right blank to fits some one's needs So many out there .
Just emailed him to see if he is set with a 7 footer.

Well he says he will go for a longer rod, now I have a larger list to check out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2006 11:16AM by bill boettcher.

Date: January 02, 2006 02:40PM

Bill - Client has said he has 36 inches of baggage length to work with. So any sections around or below say 34 inches should easily fit that baggage size, and should still have room on both ends for a packaging cushion, to keep the ends of the sections away from the baggage walls and out of harms way.

If you build a 3-piece rod, then you can use sections up to 34 inch long. Each section will contribute ~ 32 inches to the overall length of the assembled rod, assuming ~ 2 inches of overlap for each section's end involved in the ferrules. There is always one ferrule less than the number of rod sections (pieces). This can get a little confusing, if you try to be too exact in the calculation of the section length from the number of pieces and the reported "length over-all" (LOA) of the assembled fishing rod. It is easier to just call or e-mail the Supplier and just ASK them to measure exactly how long the longest rod section is, if this is too close a call for assumptions.

So what I'm trying to say is that:
3 pieces x 34 inches = 102 inches - 2 x ( 2 inches over-lap)
102" - [ 2 ferrules x ( 2" over-lap each) ] = 102 - [(4)] = ~ 98" LOA

SO, almost ANY 3-PIECE ROD that is 8-FOOT (96 inches) or LESS in LOA will fit inside his 36" suitcase or 36" rod tube. ...

Make sure this guy has measured the actual internal length inside the actual SUITCASE or the ROD TUBE (or whatever) that he will actually use for packing / shipping his rod. ... It is too easy for him to measure the OUTSIDE length and screw himself up. Then, on the night before the trip, he finds out that he measured the OUTSIDE dimension of the suitcase or rod tube, and discovers that it is just a wee bit TOO SHORT for his packing plan. ... Mr. Short Whit is gonna blame everybody but himself for that one, and you'll never hear the end of it. MAKE SURE !! you have enough leeway that he could even switch suitcases or rod tubes and still come out okay ! ...

Like I say, Bill, chances are that if he really has a genuine capacity for a 36 inch rod section length, then the rod sections of almost ANY 3-PIECE 8-FOOT (96 inch LOA) fishing rod blank will fit inside that limit.

Now, the options for a 3-PIECE SPINNING ROD are many, right, ...?...

RainShadow 7-foot "Spin Multi-Purpose" RX-7 Graphite Travel Rod:
Retail: ~$76. Dealer: ~$61. "Olive Green" or "Matte Clear" Finish.

ISP-84-3-3pc: 6-12#; 1/4-5/8ths; 0.450"; 5.0/64ths; MOD-FAST; MED; 1.70oz

RainShadow 7-foot "Spin-Bass" RX-6 Graphite Travel Rod:
SB-84-(1 or 3 power) -3 (piece) either are ~ $45, "Clear Gloss".

SB-84-1-3pc: 6-12#; 1/8-3/8oz; 0.615"; 5.0/64ths; FAST; MED-LT; 2.40oz

SB-84-3-3pc: 10-17#; 5/16-3/4oz; 0.630"; 6.0/64ths; FAST; MED-HVY; 2.65oz

Ranking in power, it looks like these three rods are,
in ascending order, from lower to higher power:
SB-84-1-3pc: ~$44 / 35 . 6-12#; 1/8-3/8th; FAST; MED-LT
ISP-84-3-3pc:~$78 / 61 . 6-12#; 1/4-5/8ths; MOD-FAST; MED
SB-84-3-3pc: ~$46 / 37 . 10-17#; 5/16-3/4oz; FAST; MED-HVY

If he doesn't mind the extra money, the ISP-84-3-3pc is probably the rod blank that will give him the zippy casting performance he wants, to sling those small crabs out there well in front of the school of roving bonefish. Casting distance is often a big deal with this kind of fishing, to keep from spooking a school of fish. Crabs tend to have a fair amount of wind resistance and flutter a bit if not punched out there, which is easier to do with a softer rod tip than with a stiffer one. And contending with some wind while casting is often a factor in bonefishing

Hook setting power is not much of an issue, and too much backbone can actually work against you. Bonefish are skittish, like glorified mullet, and run like the dickens when the line comes tight on the bait, or they feel the steel of the hook or any line drag.

Long rods help keep the line out of the shallow water and reduce the line's belly drag in the water, if the fish turns direction. Long rods held high reduce the line's bottom- dredging effect, which can pick up weeds or get caught in some grass or fans if the rod tip is not held high. Which is also why you don't want too fast a taper NOR too much BACKBONE.

Most FL-Keys bonefish are probably in the 2-4# range. You don't really lose bigger fish because your rod was too limber. Losing a hooked bonefish is more likely due to the line snagging bottom on a longer fight; or you got spooled because the boat could not move into water that was too shallow; or a barracuda or shark got to the fish before you did. Which are two good reasons not to get out of the boat and go after the fish ... Poor foot gear / dangerous bottom are two more reasons to look before you leap. (Watch out for sting-rays!)

With "too stiff" a backbone, almost any fish can leave you "high-sticking" it as the fish approaches the boat, ... or you lean over the gunwale to net or belly-land the fish by hand. Popped rod on lifetime vacation = bad publicity and warranty work. NOT!

I would be afraid the SB-84-3-3pc would feel too stiff for his tastes, like the last rod he used and said was "too stiff", ... but the question remains - "too stiff" in the TIP or where...? Ask him, Bill. ... Also, the fewer the number of rod sections, the more likely he will not feel that the assembled rod is "too stiff". A 3-pc 7-8 footer should do nicely.

For more information, contact:
www.FISHSTICKS4U.com
Robert Tignor <[email protected]>
Home Office: (804) 746-9711

Good Luck, Bill, ...and Happy New Year.
-Cliff Hall+++ Gainesville, FL-USA*****

P.S. - Bill - FYI - Your new Verizon e-ddress came up "temporarily suspended" or something like that, and I didn't know if you are checking your old Juno account, so I bored everybody here with these details, ... LOL.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2006 03:06PM by Cliff Hall.

Date: January 02, 2006 03:09PM

Cliff
I tried the Verizon but every time I called up the teck department, they had to get another teck person to help them. Then it was hard to know if any thing downloaded cause there was no pop up window to tell me ??
Went back to Juno. That guy told me to give him a longer rod if I thought it would be better.
So now I think a RX 7 IF866-4 will work nicely. Longer for more distance and 8'6" = 102" each piece at 25.5, pluss 2" for overlap, so I figure should be 27.5" I'll have it measured and make sure, makes for a shorter rod case. Also give me reason to have some cases made up with a logo on.

Posted by: John Dow (---.245.167.154.Dial1.Stamford1.Level3.net)
Date: January 02, 2006 06:05PM

Sounds like you got it figured out , Bill . Good luck . John

Got Fish ?

Date: January 02, 2006 07:51PM

BB48: "So now I think a RX 7 IF-86-6-4 will work nicely."
FYI: That is a 4-pc, 6-WT FLY rod; Med-Fast Action; RX-7 Graphite.

BB48: "Longer for more distance and 8'6" = 102"
IMO, after about the 7'-8' length of the rod, you may reach the point of diminishing returns by go going much over 7-1/2-feet (90") in assembled length. Storage in the house or stowage aboard the boat may introduce a desire to keep it below 8'.

BB48: "... each piece at 25.5", plus 2" for overlap, so I figure should be 27.5" ..."
IMO, you may want to think about adding another ~2-3" to the rod tube length for a cushion of foam at each end of a rod tube. Also, remember that a rod tube is ~2-3" wide. If the suitcase is measured on a DIAGONAL, then the rod tube will have to be an additional ~2-4" shorter than the suitcase's diagonal.

BB48: "I'll have it measured and make sure, makes for a shorter rod case. Also give me reason to have some cases made up with a logo on."
CMH: Check some luggage in fresh-stock stores and / or call some national airlines, and see what are the typical dimensions for airline under-the-seat, carry-on and checked baggage. Make that compatible with the section lengths for your typical travel rod, and then go from there. ... You don't want an inventory of rod tubes that won't fit the rod sections and an airline traveler's luggage. (Too long a rod tube for the luggage, or too short a rod tube for the rod sections.)

-Cliff Hall+++

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.48.79.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 02, 2006 09:58PM

John
I thought so until I read Cliff's post, now I wonder.
If I can get the measurements of the suitcase he will use, he did want a case for each rod also.
I already put in all this work and did not get the deposit yet ??
The longer blank fly would be made a spin.
I also saw some RX 6 blanks of more pieces, but I am not to keen on 6 for a customer, I figure the 7 is more durable and a little faster.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2006 10:02PM by bill boettcher.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster