I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spiral guide lay out
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: January 01, 2006 08:36AM

I have seen several rods that the guides start on top then spiral down to the bottom. I was wondering doesn't this create twist in the rod and as i understand twist is the one thing you don't want in your rod.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spiral guide lay out
Posted by: John Dow (---.245.167.71.Dial1.Stamford1.Level3.net)
Date: January 01, 2006 08:47AM

Tim , there has been a ton of disgussion on the spiral wrap lately , more so on the new "bumper system"of guide lay-out . Try looking thru the last 2 or 3 pages of posts on the board on this subject . You can also do a search on spiral wrap and come up with a ton of stuff to get you firmilliar with the concept . The line transitions to the bottom of the rod on a conventional set-up , and stabilizes the rod from twisting by having the line pressure on the bottom of the blank as a spinning rod has . You should be able to find enough to get you to the point where you can get more specific info on the topic .. Hane fun , John

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 01, 2006 09:06AM

Spiral wraps actually prevent rod twist. Do a search or check the FAQs and Glossary pages here for more information.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 01, 2006 09:47AM

Even better, find one and try it.That will convince you!!

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Ken Blevins (---.ironoh.adelphia.net)
Date: January 01, 2006 10:05AM

Tim
Go to this site [www.westcoastangler.com] for a diagram of rod twist
Ken

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 01, 2006 12:22PM

Ken,

Thanks! Very good article!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: January 02, 2006 12:47AM

"The SIMPLE SPIRAL WRAP: The BUMPER SYSTEM"
Author: William "Bill" Colby [RMM-8(2)]
RodMaker Magazine Volume-8, Issue #2, pages 16-17
Back issues ($7 each) available at www.rodmakermagazine.com

The 2 photographs and the 2 illustrations tell it all, and they clarify some of the confusion of the earlier Posts made before Colby's Article in RMM-8(2) was widely available to most subscribers of RMM. ... -Cliff Hall+++ Gainesville, FL-USA

P.S. - IMO, Spiral Wraps, and the Bumper System in particular, is one subject / system / methodology in rod-building that is far too easily misunderstood without the proper pictorials and texts. Do yourself the favor of buying the RMM-8(2) back issue ASAP. Read that carefully, and especially study the pictorials.

THEN when you read the RBO Forum Archives, what they are saying will make much more sense and be far less confusing. The pictures are worth 10,000 words. You can easily find and read 10,000 words on the RBO Forum from the Archives on this subject, and still hardly advance your finer understanding of the subject. Because, in this case, you have to SEE what they are talking about to ensure that you are not mistaken.

If your budget is overly taxed by the price of back issues and other educational rod-building resources, then you'll have to recognize the limits of a Forum like this one for exchanging information. It simply can't handle graphics (nor complex math formulas). And the clarity of description can vary widely ... or simply be misunderstood. -Cliff Hall+++

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster