I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Forecast blanks
Posted by: Martin Francis (---.people.net.au)
Date: December 31, 2005 06:57AM

Hello all. Hope you enjoying your holidays.

Is there any difference between pre-2005 and post-2005 Forecast fly blanks?
I have a pre-2005 5# fly blank and want to know if the quality has improved.
cheers
Martin

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Forecast blanks
Posted by: vance corbett (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: December 31, 2005 09:08AM

Martin... I have no expertise on this but I can offer my observations... I recently purchased several Forecast fly blanks that I believe were made in 2003 (paid next to nothing for these). I also have two complete fly rods I bought from a small rodmaker in New York that were built on Forecast blanks in 2002-2003 timeframe. I can compare these to the four fly rods I built last year on 2005 Forecast blanks and the two 2005 Forecast blanks I am about to build on. There is no comparison. The 2005 blanks are beautiful. The fit and finish are outstanding and very consistent from blank to blank. The older blanks have sort of a teal blue (almost green) tint in the sunlight. The newer blanks are a refined deep gloss blue. The older blanks also have matte areas (no finish) where the sections meet. The male section butts and the tip ends are filled on the newer blanks, while they're open on the older ones. The fit is noticeably better on the 2005 blanks. I guess we can thank the folks at Batson Enterprises for continually improving and marketing a superb product that is within reach of the average guy who wants to build a very nice rod and still send his kids to college. Regards, Vance

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.114.127.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: December 31, 2005 11:49AM

i completely agree with vance's assessment between the different versions. i can add that when casting two fly rods i made on the older teal colored forecast blanks, i'd have sections come loose during casting. the newer version no such thing (yet). Version 2.0 of the Forecast (now called RX6) blanks are a marked improvement.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: dave potts (64.149.213.---)
Date: December 31, 2005 01:32PM

I have one of the older blanks that I haven't worked up yet. I can't decide what color it is. I can take it outside in the sunlight and swear that one section looks blue and the other section looks green. The problem is-what color thread do I use?

Dave

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster