I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

BMBOO FLY ROD
Posted by: Bill Gaude (---.an4.atl16.da.uu.net)
Date: December 30, 2005 02:12PM

Just picked up a Compac 3 piece fly rod 8.6 length. Guides and original wraps are in good condition . Was going to strip , rewind with new guides, etc but see no need. Someone mentioned Tru oil for rod (gunstock finish). Any comments. Hate to buy Varnish for one rod. Windings are verigated and original. Can I use Flex coat? Not much sign of original coating but plan to give whole thing a scrub with acetone. Thanks Bill Gaude

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: BMBOO FLY ROD
Posted by: Jim Benenson (164.64.146.---)
Date: December 30, 2005 02:59PM

I use Tru Oil finish on bamboo rods that I restore. I produces a very nice finish with a "hand rubbed" look (which of course it is); I prefer it to varnish. The bottle is small and inexpensive (about $10 I think) and it will last you two lifetimes of bamboo rod building. I would keep bamboo rods and acetone far away from each other! I use only alcohol, and them minimally. Bamboo is a natural, absorbent grass; it's as far away from impermeable graphite as you can get. Proceed with patience and caution; you'll be happy with the result.

Jim

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 30, 2005 03:02PM

Bill -
PLEASE STOP! If this rod is in 1/2 the decent condition that you describe (guides all in place/windings good) you should not consider stripping or "scrubbing". Unless you know that this rod has NO VALUE as a collectable piece you ought not change it. Are there any labels in place? If so how legible are they? I would urge you to take a photo or two and post it to one of the Collectable Bamboo rod web sites before you do anything to it.

Posted by: Bill Gaude (---.an2.atl16.da.uu.net)
Date: December 30, 2005 03:59PM

Appreciate your reply- since everything is in good shape, I am not "restoring". Forgot to list the following- Compac F-2092 "Golden". This will be used for fishing but an interested in any information on it. The label on case says registered (not readable) and product of (not readable). Nothing on rod. thanks

Date: December 30, 2005 08:56PM

Bill,
I tried to look up the rod based on the information you gave but had no luck at all. In the meantime I did find this item on @#$%& which is what I've used many times to remove surface gunk from cane rods. Musical instrument (guitar polish) also works well. @#$%& item:
[]

It looks "hokey" and something out of the early 1950's but does the job.

Posted by: john channer (---.228.186.248.Dial1.Denver1.Level3.net)
Date: December 30, 2005 09:12PM

No real need to worry about any "value" this rod might have, it's what's know as an "occupation rod", meaning made in Japan after WWII and sold to G.I.'s by the thousands. There are so many of them left in the world that they aren't worth much.
john

Date: December 30, 2005 11:30PM

John,
Do you have any idea what the full label says and/or what the design of the label is? I've started a small catalog/ database of "odd ball" bamboo rods because I'm asked questions on origin/maker time frame. Of course you're right today most of the 'occupation' rods aren't worth much but some are increasing in price especially those with the "prettier" labels and those acutally marked "occupied Japan". If you have any more information about origin / years of manufacture or whatever I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance for your time.

Posted by: john channer (---.228.186.206.Dial1.Denver1.Level3.net)
Date: December 31, 2005 10:23PM

Ken;
I'm sorry, but I don't have any further data. I haven't made much of a study of these things, I recognize them when I see them, and know their names when I hear them, but other than a rough idea of current market value, I don't really know that much about the individual companies.
john

Date: December 31, 2005 11:49PM

Thanks John. I just figured it would be easier to start cataloging these things before they got really hard to find good examples of. Try to get the wrap colors and spacings, basic materials used on the guides, ferrules. Something similar to what has been done for the more collectable bamboo from American and English makers.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster