I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Amtack Matrix blank vs TFO blank
Posted by: Martin Francis (---.people.net.au)
Date: December 30, 2005 08:02AM

Planning to build a 5# fly rod for my next project.
What I am after is a fast action blank of 9' in length.
Checked CCS data site and come to the following two:
1) Amtack Matrix 905-4
2) TFO Professional 905-4
There is no CCS data for Matrix 905-4 but looking at the other models, they AAed average 70.
Any opinions?

ps - Yes I know how good Dan Craft blanks are and I've got FT. I want something different.

cheers
Happy new year everyone.

Martin

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Amtack Matrix blank vs TFO blank
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 30, 2005 09:21AM

The TFO blanks get really good reviews from most who try them. However, the Matrix is a higher end blank and would be the one I'd go with. I can't compare weights although I suspect the matrix might be a tad heavier in the butt area. Also a bit more power down low.

Posted by: Mikko Stenberg (---.kotopas.fi)
Date: December 30, 2005 11:00AM

Martin - How about CTS blanks that Andy Dear from Lamar distributes. They should be spectacular blanks.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: December 30, 2005 11:46AM

Mikko,
No CCS values appear to be available for the CTS blanks so it would be hard to compare them with others.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: James Mello (---.click-network.com)
Date: December 30, 2005 12:44PM

For the price I can't image that the Pro would be bad to go with. I haven't used the Matrix line yet, but based on the performance of the finished TFO rods, it would definately be a good choice. Heck with decent components and better fit and finish, I'd be willing to use a TFO Pro over quite a few "name brand" rods.... But if you *really* want fast action go with the TiCR. It's a tad heavy but *super* fast

-- Cheers
-- James

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.155.51.36.Dial1.Baltimore1.Level3.net)
Date: December 30, 2005 04:42PM

I haven't used the Matrix 905-4 but I have used both the TFO TiCr 905-4 and TFO Pro 905-4 and they are very nice rods. Enough power to use a 5,6,or 7 line but they still are responsive and pleasant to fish with the rated lines. Fast action, soft tip, excellent ferrule fit, very straight, black color that looks great with any color thread. Even though the TiCr are more expensive, I like the Pro better. Feels lighter and has the same power and action - identical in fact (7.53/73 if memory serves).

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.155.87.146.Dial1.Baltimore1.Level3.net)
Date: December 30, 2005 06:31PM

Martin and others,

Resist the temptation to assume that just because a particular model in a particular series of blanks is fast action, that they will all be fast. I have test a lot of rods for power and action with the CCS, and the only series I have found this to be true for, so far, are the TFO 9' Pro, TFO 9' TiCr and Fiver Rivers 9' FT models. All of these blanks are uniformly fast, whereas with most series of blanks I have tested, the individual models can be all over the place for action. Take one of my favorite series of blanks for example, the old 2pc. SCIV from St. Croix. They literally range from almost slow to fast. I had a 4F765 with AA 60 and a 4F864 with AA 72 all from the same order from the same vendor. Most in that series are in the 65-68 range. So, when a manufacturer describes an entire series of blanks as "fast", be skeptical. It is usually not the case. I did use one Matrix and it was model AMF908-4 and it had an AA of 72 and an ERN of 10.3 I think. But, I would not assume that the other Matrix blanks are in the low 70s for action angle. They might be and they might not be. I don't think anyone is out to deceive, this is just based on my empirical observations of action.

Steve

Posted by: Martin Francis (---.people.net.au)
Date: December 30, 2005 07:27PM

Thanks everyone.
Now I am more confused as to what to get.
But I am leaning towards Matrix for its finish and action. TFO maybe a bit too fast for my liking.

Steve, I totally agree. Whilst checking the CCS data, I have noticed that the AA values (as well as ERN in that matter) of the same series of same brand are all over the shot. I'm going with the average value. That way I have a good chance of getting what I have expected.

cheers
Martin

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster