I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ferrule Measurement
Posted by: Buddy Sanders (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 29, 2005 10:03PM

I've come into several servicable cane rods that need some work. I'm not refurbishing these for any collectors/antique reasons, but to fish with them. Most of it I have a grasp on, but I've never had to replace a ferrule, and I'll have to for this project.

So, for those of you with cane rod experience I have a couple of questions.

First, where do you measure the blank to get the proper size ferrule? These have been turned round at the ferrule, but it's tapered a bit...

Second, several of the ferrules I'll have to remove and replace have pins that go in from one side only. What's the best method to remove these?

Third, are there different 'kinds' of ferrules available? Some I've seen on other cane rods have a little flare where it meets the hexagonal section of the rod, others have a thinner portion that is wrapped with thread.

Is it best to replace all the ferrules on the rod, so they 'match', or should I try to find 'close enough' from what's available?

Where can I find the best selection of what I'll need?

Thanks,

Buddy Sanders

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ferrule Measurement
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.il-chicago0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: December 30, 2005 01:46AM

Go to the experts. Golden Witch can answer all your questions and supply anything you need. Great people to do business with.

Posted by: Mark Wendt (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: December 30, 2005 08:19AM

Buddy,

It kind of depends on what type of ferrules the maker used. There are two main types - a step down ferrule, and a Super Z style ferrule. It's pretty easy to tell the difference between the two. The Super Z style female ferrule will have a distinct swelling about 1/3 of the way up from the tabs, and the male slide will have the same diameter the entire length of the slide portion. The step down female ferrule will have a constant outside diameter, while the male ferrule will have a distinct drop in diameter (generally) on the male slide.

Figuring out the size of the of a Super Z is relatively simple. The openings on both the male and female ferrules where the cane is inserted have identical diameters, and the diameter of the opening in 64th's is the size of the ferrule.

Sizing a step down ferrule is a little trickier. Different rod makers used different ways of making step down ferrules. The female ferrule bamboo end can usually determine the size of the ferrule, ie, a diameter of .156" will give you a 10/64 ferrule, but, the male ferrule sizing comes into play. Some makers, like Payne stepped down 1/64 in sizing for the male ferrule, while others stepped down 2/64. In order to find the right replacement ferrule, you'll need to know who made the rod. Goldenwitch can help you out with sizing the ferrules correctly.

If your ferrule is pinned, on one side only, you need to have a pin punch with a .039" end on it. You will push the pin into the rod, just enough so that the top of the pin is below the inside of the ferrule. Then, with the judicious application of heat, you should be able to remove the ferrule. If the pin goes all the way through, you have to push the pin far enough so that you can grab the pin with a pair of pliers on the other side and pull the pin out.

There's a few folks out there that do a lot of restorations, and they have either original replacement ferrules for the different rods, or have ferrules made up to copy the originals. This is why it helps to know who manufactured the rods you're working on, because the ferrules are all different in appearance, and in some cases, sizing and fit, depending on the make. The folks at Goldenwitch are a great place to start, and if they don't have a match for your rods, they may know of someone who has.

Mark

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2005 07:46AM by Mark Wendt.

Posted by: john channer (---.228.186.248.Dial1.Denver1.Level3.net)
Date: December 30, 2005 09:21PM

Buddy;
In addition to the other good advice you've recieved, I would like to add this: try to identify the rods before you buy parts for them, this will not only help you get the right ferrules for them, but will also let you know if you are spending more on parts than the rods are worth. just a thought
john

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster