I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lamiglas Blue Ridge Travel - Opinions
Posted by: Tony Pevec (---.cdm.com)
Date: December 28, 2005 03:20PM

Gentlemen,

Just wanted to say "Thanks" to all who responded to my post last week regarding the recommendations on a Lamiglas or Diamondback fiberglass rods.

During my research, I stumbled upon this relatively new Lamiglas blank (Todd Vivian sent me a helpful review - Thanks Tom!).

The 3pc. Blue Ridge has a graphite butt, graphite/glass hybid mid section, and a glass tip section.

Sounds like the best of both worlds - soft flexy tip with a little backbone in the butt.

Anybody here good or bad things about these rods? Might be the next project.

Best Regards,

Tony

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lamiglas Blue Ridge Travel - Opinions
Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.138.63.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: December 28, 2005 03:56PM

the lamiglas Blue Ridge's construction sounds interesting. i don't see it at their web site. can someone forward me the review? i DO see a new "Spring Creek" series which also sounds interesting... i wonder what the blank prices are. i'll have to check out their PDF.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: William Mitchell (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: December 28, 2005 04:15PM

I'd like to hear more about these blanks, as well.

Bill

Posted by: LARRY PIRRONE (---.att.net)
Date: December 28, 2005 04:27PM

sounds very interesting. would like to know more.

Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.eugn.qwest.net)
Date: December 28, 2005 07:08PM

A blank you small stream/pack/travel guys should look at closely is the Forecast 7'6" 5pc 4wt. I have built a couple in the past month and am amazed at how sweet they are, especially for $30 or so. Very similar to the Orvis Superfine Henry's Fork 7'9" 5wt that everyone loved/s.

Scott Kinney
The Longest Cast Fly Rods
[www.thelongestcast.com]

Posted by: LARRY PIRRONE (---.ontrca.adelphia.net)
Date: December 29, 2005 12:17PM

Thanks for the tip on the forcast blanks. there arew a lot of good 'travel" blanks out there. i am kind of intrigued by the combining of different blank materials in one rod. russ peak, the great glass rod maker, used to make rods with glass and graphite. i think it was graphite butt and glass tip. there was another manufacturer back in the 40's or 50's that i read about that made a rod with a glass butt section and a split bamboo tip section. don't know how these rods performed.

i sure wish tod vivian would weigh in with some info about these new blue ridge travel blanks.

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.lamiglas.com)
Date: January 02, 2006 02:30PM

Sorry Guys,
have been off for the past 10 days doing work around the house. Weather has been so crappy there wasn't much fishing.

The Blue Ridge are as Tony described them above with graphite butt section, graphite glass mid & glass tip. We were trying to find an area between the traditional glass actions and graphite. I believe with this blank you will find the best of both worlds for small stream light line fishing.
I do have the product review done by Bob Petti of the Global Fly Fisher which I'll post below.

Thank You,

Todd

Blue Ridge 7ft 3wt 3pc

The "Blue Ridge" is about as far away from the XMG50 on the rod action scale as you can have. The "Blue Ridge" blanks are one evolutionary step up from a pure fiberglass blank in that the blanks are actually comprised of three different material composites - the butt is graphite, the mid section is a graphite/glass bend, and the tip is glass. This makes for a rod that has the smooth and softer action of glass, but with the added butt stability and light weight of graphite. It truly is the best of both worlds.

I used this rod a few times on the upper Willowemoc Creek, fishing for some of the wild local brookies and browns. What a delightful rod! The graphite butt removes any of that "tale wagging the dog" feel that some glass blanks have, but the slow action and soft tip gives you that special feeling where you can comfortable cast just a couple feet of line and the leader. For small stream work, it is absolutely fantastic.

The blank is a rich glossy jet black, and the graphite material in the blend allowed Todd to design a blank that does not have a large diameter butt section like many glass blanks. I used an off-the-shelf Bob Venneri reel seat for this rod, and it fit perfectly. With a set of single foot snake guides, the rod is light weight, but has just a hint of heft to give it a very classic feel. For you guys who like short rods and light lines, you will really like this one.

For those of you who are curious about slower action rods, but are not sure about using a pure glass or even bamboo, this will be just the ticket.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster