I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Cork alternative
Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: December 29, 2005 09:45AM

Scott Kinney Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have to disagree a bit here...I have a DC 905-3
> SigV that has a handle made from pure exotic burl
> from Andy. It weighs a TON. Ok, not a ton, but
> darn close. 5.5oz for the completed rod whereas a
> normal cork build would put it at about 2.9oz.

> Scott Kinney
> The Longest Cast Fly Rods

I haven't tried any of Andy's burl cork yet,but plan on doing so very soon.I do however,have quite a few handles made of all natural burl cork(the more common type of burl cork) and while they are definitely heavier than regular cork,they certainly aren't anywhere near 2 1/2 ounces heavier.That is a considerable difference to say the least.

I haven't actually weighed and compared one of my regular cork grips to one of my all burl(not Andy's) cork grips,but I would be VERY surprised if there was even 1 ounce difference between them.In fact,I can only feel a slight(maybe even 1/2 ounce or less) difference in weight when held in the hand,and when slid on to a bare(no guides or seat),ultralight rod blank like the 9ft 5wt SIG V,I can't really tell much of a difference between the rods at all.I can't imagine a 7" grip being 2 1/2 ounces heavier than a typical cork grip,but if that were the case,I am pretty sure I would be able to instantly feel the difference in weight as well.If the burl cork from Lamar is truly that heavy,then I think I too would probably use it more for trim,than as a whole solid grip on a lighter blank.That said,I know that an all burl grip,made from any of the Lamar burl cork materials would look stunning,and I would bet that the difference would be much less noticable with a completed rod once the reel is on it.I have a few gorgeous wood grip/seat combos on rods and hardly notice the weight because it is so low down on the rod.

I have to agree with Andy that in most cases,people tend to worry a bit too much about the weight of a grip and/or seat.It has little effect on how a rod casts,and the initial feel of that extra weight can be somewhat neutralized by using the right reel(a light one).It's how the rod feels with a reel on it and during casting that really counts,not how it feels bare.I know one or two guys who have built their rods with single foot wire or Recoil guides(and the thinnest coat of finish on them possible),natural cork grips,cork seat inserts,and thin,lightweight aluminum slide bands,to make a rod as light as possible,and then they turn around and put a reel on it that it several ounces heavier than needed to balance the rod.Building a short little 3wt or something that weighs 1 1/2 ounces,then putting a 5 ounce reel on it kind of defeats the whole purpose of building a ultra light weight rod,LOL.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2005 10:25AM by Tony Dowson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.north-highland.com)
Date: December 29, 2005 04:06PM

Andy - Yes, down to 3 wts. For 2 wts I use a cigar grip or a variation of a Ritz & dbl ring seat one piece. Sometimes on <5 I will use a 1/2 Wells/Fenwick style, especially if using a cap and ring seat. Along with size and shape, I like the extra material under my thumb. I do not like reverse 1/2 Wells/Western grips. It may be all mental, but I tend to want to press though the stop on the forward cast and I guess it punctuates the punch as well as opening the arc. I can really throw a mean tailing loop when I pick up a factory rod :)

One (of many) reasons I started building was to get "my" grip.

Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.eugn.qwest.net)
Date: December 29, 2005 05:36PM

Well, looking at the rod last night I noticed a few things. The grip I have on there from the exotic burl is a large cigar-type grip...you can see it here (with my dog): [www.thelongestcast.com]

It's about 7" long and solid exotic burl. The reelseat is a Batson BUL5, which is heavier than the A5 I use on most rods. It also has an olive insert-- don't know about the weight on that vs. the normal rosewood.

Based on that, I'd say the grip weighs about 2.0oz vs. a standard cork which is 0.5oz.

I think Andy has said that the exotics weigh about 4x as much as regular...and this seems to parallel my observations.

Scott Kinney
The Longest Cast Fly Rods
[www.thelongestcast.com]

Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.eugn.qwest.net)
Date: December 29, 2005 05:38PM

Andy-- You're right about the analogy...tip swing weight directly affects performance...grip weight is an indirect effect. I notice a difference in my casting with a 5oz rod vs a 3oz rod...no matter where the weight is distributed. May be just a mental thing but that's enough to throw me in to a tailing loop...

Scott Kinney
The Longest Cast Fly Rods
[www.thelongestcast.com]

Posted by: David Edens (---.dhcp.hckr.nc.charter.com)
Date: December 31, 2005 10:11PM

Andy:
Why don't you offer the cork rings made to accept the foam arbor? Then we can have the best of both worlds, weight, appearance and flexibility to make our own own grip designe with rings. Put the arbor on the 1/4" mandrel, then glue up the grip on the arbor, turn it, fit it and mount it!!!

I know i could pre-drill the rings, but I am just trying to save time!! Also, if you made the rings like that, you would use less material.

David

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 31, 2005 11:32PM

David,

He wouldn't be using less cork, he would just have more waste, not to mention the added labor of boring them larger for those that wanted larger holes. Since there are various sizes of the arbors, which size would he drill to? With a Flex coat arbor bit, I can drill out about a dozen rings a minute

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster