I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

building a new fly rod
Posted by: joe lucas (65.118.17.---)
Date: December 27, 2005 05:59PM

alright christmas is over how many of you are building a rod at this time.i started on a 6'9" 5wt fly rod ,have the reel seat on ,grips shaped.,a 5" yellow underwrap with a feather inlay consisting of grey phesant,and jungle cock feathers trimmed in metallic green.the butt wrap is drying as i type.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: building a new fly rod
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 27, 2005 06:10PM

Was I supposed to stop during Christmas? Rats! Did Christmas happen already? Shorter, non-smart alecky answer -- Yes, two of them today 7' medium weight salt water spinning rods on PacBay 2XGSSP70M PBX-II rod blanks and one yesterday a 6' 20lb class trolling rod built on a CalStar rodblank with 19" Stuart Tuff butt assembly & a mixture of All American roller guide for the first quide and American Tackle black/gold boat rod guides to finish it off. All three are turning now (I'm sitting here listening to the motors happily churn away)

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 27, 2005 06:30PM

Today I selected from two reel seat inserts I have for a U24 Struble reel seat. The blank is a Rainshadow RX8+, 905-4. Guides will be Fuji Titanium SIC's, first rod that I've done with single foot guides in many years. And the thread colors will be determined after some test wraps are wrapped and coated tonight or tomorrow.

Jeff Shafer

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: December 27, 2005 08:23PM

I started my first Dan Craft rod today. #3 pc 1 wt. Took a big step for me and cut up the handle I had for it and put in some (my first) burl cork rings I cut them in half first and sanded them flush. Took some help/suggestions from Putter and cut out some foam rings (Blac& Gold) and have butted them between the burl. I am doing this with hand tools. I have 5 hours in the handle already. I just finished rod bonding it in my clamp. I look forward to shaping and sanding it down to the final product. I plan to do some more advanced (for me) feather inlay work with this rod. I've got some time right now and am looking forward to improving my skills and product due to this board and Tom's book. Plan to order a subscription of Rod Maker tomorrow. Thanks Steve

Posted by: Antti Kymalainen (---.storaenso.com)
Date: December 28, 2005 01:12AM

I'm still waiting blanks I ordered to me and my friends (going to run beginners rod building course at our flyfishing club's evenings). Total amount of blanks were over 20 :)

Looking forward to get them and start building.........

Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 28, 2005 06:02AM

current queue:

10'0" 7wt DC Sig V (just awaiting a tiptop!)
8'4" 4wt DC Sig V (same as above)
6'10" 1wt DC Sig III (needs finish)
7'0" 1wt DC Sig III (only half wrapped)
6'6" 2wt 4pc Forecast (needs decal and 2nd coat finish)
6'6" 2wt 4pc Forecast (everything except handle assembly needed)
9'0" 8wt DC FT (blank form)
9'0" 10wt DC FT (blank form)
9'0" 4wt Powell LGA (not sure if I'm keeping or selling this one)
9'0" 5wt Powell LGA (not sure if I'm keeping or selling this one)
9'0" 6wt Powell LGA (not sure if I'm keeping or selling this one)
9'6" 6wt Powell LGA (keeping this for sure)
10'4" 10wt DC FT (needs 3rd coat of finish)
5'6" 5wt RX7 spin blank (blank form)

Yes, I will be busy this weekend :) :) :)

Scott Kinney
The Longest Cast Fly Rods
[www.thelongestcast.com]

Posted by: Jim Benenson (164.64.146.---)
Date: December 28, 2005 01:58PM

I have several in the works...

9' 7 wt. Lamiglas Perigee, Pacific Bay gold/black aluminum reel seat w/ fighting butt, full wells grip, American Tackle Titan Guides, dark green wrap w/ gold trim
9' 3/4 wt. Lamiglas Perigee, Pacific Bay uplocking gold reel seat w/ bubinga, reverse half wells grip, American Tackle TiCh gold single foot guides, chestnut wrap w/ gold trim
7 1/2 ft. 4 wt. bamboo (Paul Young Perfectionist taper), Bellinger reel seat w/ redwood burl, reverse half wells grip, gold snake guides, mottled brown silk wrap
6 ft. 3 wt bamboo (restoration), Pacific Bay nickel silver reel seat w/ rosewood burl, reverse half wells grip, chrome snake guides, blue silk wrap
7' 3 wt Sage VPS light, Struble U-24 reel seat w/ walnut, reverse half wells grip, American Tackle Titan Guides, chestnut wrap w/ silver trim
8' 6" St Croix SC iv, Struble U-20 reel seat w/ cocobolo, reverse half wells grip, American Tackle Titan Guides, dark brown wrap w/ silver trim

Jim

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.onspeed.com)
Date: December 28, 2005 03:07PM

Have 5 old bamboo fly rods being rebuilt , 1930's - 1940's vintage. Removed all guides, ferrules, reel seats and stripped all the old varnish. Now time to start from scratch, sort of like starting with 5 new blanks and all new components. The stripping was a pain, very time consuming, but the rebuild should go fairly fast.

Bob

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.138.63.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: December 28, 2005 03:22PM

jim.. how does that bellinger's redwood burl insert look? it looks gorgeous to me on their web site, nicer than other companies' redwood burl wood.

i've got a brown fiberglass 7 foot, 2 pc, 5 wt, a 7'-9" three piece 5 wt mustard yellow graphite fly, a 9 ft blue 7 wt 4 pc unknown brand, a 7'-6" 4 pc 3/4 wt tiger eye at LEASt, qiaintg in the queue to build someday soon, all blanks. not to mention a bamboo blank i hope to have in hand by spring, maybe a 7', 2 pc Sir D taper. but nothing i'm working on this week. i have my little girl with me and we're having too much fun. although i did receive a fly tying kit for xmas and she wants to try tying a fly by the weekend if this rain doesn't stop. we WERE going fishing.

eric
fresno, ca.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster