I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

thread under check
Posted by: Bruce A. Tomaselli (---.dioceseaj.org)
Date: December 27, 2005 09:21AM

Is it better to put thread wraps underneath the winding check on fly and spinning rods? I've only built 5 rods and I've glued all of the them to the top of the foregrip.
Thanks,
Bruce

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: thread under check
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.9.193.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: December 27, 2005 09:25AM

Do you like it that way ??
I always put a wrap just before the foregrip then put the check over it -- if I use one.

Posted by: Bruce A. Tomaselli (---.dioceseaj.org)
Date: December 27, 2005 09:33AM

Hi Bill! I guess what I meant was is it okay structurally to place thread wraps under the winding check. Is the winding check only a decoration or does it serve some kind of function?

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: December 27, 2005 10:03AM

The winding check function is to hide any gap resulting in a less than perfect fit between the grip and rod blank. I suspect that it started in the days of bamboo rods when the round hole in the grip needed to be transitioned to a hexagon shaped blank. If a grip isn't tapered perfectly to a round blank it also helps provide a pleasing and decorative transition. On the fly rods I build using metal winding checks I usually fit the check directly to the blank without any threaded cushion.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.tci.com)
Date: December 27, 2005 10:06AM

Hi Bruce,
The reason for a winding check is to make a nice clean transition from the foregrip to the blank with a finished look.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: LARRY PIRRONE (---.ontrca.adelphia.net)
Date: December 27, 2005 11:07AM

i choose my winding check so that i can put thread under it. i don't want the metal in contact with the blank to cause abrasion. i don't glue my check to the cork. i let the epoxy on the hook keeper wrap hold the winding check. right or wrong, this is how i do it.

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 27, 2005 02:17PM

Bruce,
My preference on fly rods is to run my thread up against the cork grip, and slide my metal winding check over the thread wrap. I use a very small application of five minute epoxy to hold the winding check against the cork, and to seal the wrap in place. This practice requires that you obtain a winding check with the proper inside diameter. This isn't always the easiest thing to do while acquiring components and don't yet have the reel seat and grip in place. I don't keep a lot of components in stock so the winding check can get expensive because it usually requires shipping or a trip to Cabelas.

My second preference (and I've done this when I have a winding check that won't fit over a thread wrap) is to mount the check without a thread wrap, up against my cork grip. I only do this, however, when the winding check is not a tight fit against the blank. Two reasons: When I wrap thread against the check, I don't want the subsequent application of epoxy to run up onto my winding check. Second reason, and in my opinion an important one - I don't want the even slight flexing of the rod in this area to cause the metal winding check to bite into the blank. This second method does require that you epoxy the winding check in a way that causes it to be centered on the blank. Since I use five minute epoxy to hold the check in place I visually center the check and hand hold it in place until the epoxy firms up.

Good luck,
Jeff Shafer

Posted by: Rob Matarazzo (---.nycmny83.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: December 27, 2005 09:20PM

I put the winding check on first without any adhesive, then wrap from the winding check out. I just let the wrap hold the check in place. I've always done it that way and have never had any problems.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster