I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Holiday Wish List
Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: December 24, 2005 09:48PM

Was sitting at the computer looking at the rodbuilding forum when my 83 yr old mom-in-law walked in (X'mas gathering) and asked the biggy, " So, what would you like for X'mas?" Now remember I was looking on this forum! She walked off before I could answer, but I really thought about it. I am not a newby. I'm what I call a "tweener"! I know a little about what I'm doing when I build a rod . After looking at this forum for about a year I am painfullty aware that there is a ton of quality rod building knowledge, feel, touch and skill that I simply do not possess....yet?! After looking through the photos for another 20 mins. I came up with an answer. I would like to be really good in at least one of the rod building specialty catagories. GUIDE WRAPS..as good as Kirkman, Wiggins, Throop Tanaka . WEAVING... as good as Labanowski, Fisher, McComesky, Rippe. HANDLE INLAYS... as good as Barkley, Bromfield, Vivona, Kymalainen. MARBLING... as good as Rhoades, Putter, Spence. FEATHER INLAYS... as good as Weber, Grace, Fisher, Putter. AND I COULD ADD SO MANY OTHERS IN EACH OF THOSE CATAGORIES and many of them are experts in all! To us tweeners and newbys it's X'mas every day looking at this forum. Thanks Tom for overseeing it all and so many of you "blue chippers" for sharing your expertise with us. But if I had to pick just one catagory to be a "chipper" in; I 'd give just about anything to be able to put together a handle like Eden Bromfield. The rest of you tweeners and newbys, if you could only pick one, which catagory would you want to be an expert in? Thanks and have a nice X'mas all.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Holiday Wish List
Posted by: Fred Murphy (---.ptldor.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 24, 2005 10:16PM

Streve:
I would like to be good enough at this rod building stuff to be able to move from one step to another without having to stop and figure out what (and how) I need to do for the next. I suppose when I get few more rods under my belt, that knowledge will come.
Merry Christmas to all,
Fred Murphy

Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.235.207.102.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: December 24, 2005 10:41PM

Hello Steve.(TWEENER) awsome,I love it.As for me, I would very much like to be able to understand and to lay out thread art. Like diamonds and chevrons. Maybe in due time.Thanks to this forum.
Happy Holiday to all.<<<<< DON>>>>>

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 24, 2005 10:47PM

Steve,

I'm with you, I'd love to be able to make all those beautiful handle's. I'll try it and learn from my mistakes, as most things are generally learned. But, I am going to Charlotte this year and Andy's seminar on turning is at the top of my list, along with buying his video, and some of those awesome burl cork rings he makes and sells.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Levi Farster (---.essex1.com)
Date: December 25, 2005 12:29AM

I need a smith machine, and a jewelers lathe, and an anodizing setup (I know how) and a ti coating setup ( I will learn soon). I havent seen anyones work except on the photo page. So, I just want to be as good as I can be, and maybe someday people will want to be as good as me at something. Out of all the posts I read, Putter seems like a real, nice, down to earth real human being. It would be cool to be that way. Not sure what that has to do with making rods, except maybe in some philosophical, zen sense. So, I guess I wish I could post like someone more experienced and knowlegable and, layed back, than I am. Rodbuilding will come all on its own, and I dont know, this may sound weird, but I feel like if I DON"T see other people work, and learn directly from their hand, maybe the end result will be more MINE, and less someone elses. Make sense? Levi

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 25, 2005 09:37AM

Steve --
Take heart. We're all "tweeners" at all levels and asipre to be nearly as good as those whose photos we admire.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 25, 2005 11:28AM

Ken,
It is nice to see you back posting again.
Did the hair grow back on your dog's tail so you have something to apply epoxy with and can start building rods again?

Posted by: Al Ciner (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 25, 2005 02:25PM

Steve,

As a newby I couldn't have saqd it better. Thanks to all for your comments and encouragement. Merry Chrsitmas

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 25, 2005 02:40PM

Hi Steve

All I can say is I will do everything I can to help everyone I can with what knowledge I have gotten over the years. My greatest satisfaction now a days comes from watching and helping others succeed. Hope everyones Christmas wishes come true(execpt the fishes wishes)

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 25, 2005 08:03PM

I wish for all of you great people to have GREAT 2006 and get all that you wish for and I hope to meet a lot of you in Charlotte

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: December 25, 2005 08:17PM

What would I like to become an expert at in rod building?

Wow, that's a mouthful, really. Things are changing so quickly anymore, the newbie down the block can quickly become the 'new' expert at some of these things.

But if there was something that I could get really down pat, it would have to be all of the different myriad of finishes; to be able to know the good, the bad and the ugly of each of them, and to be able to use them to their best qualities (with and without pigments added) to match each situation on each rod-that's what I'd wish for right now.

Merry Christmas everyone; see a bunch of you in Charlotte, I hope!

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 26, 2005 06:22AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2005 06:23AM by Steven Libby.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster