I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

metallic thread
Posted by: Keith Neidhart (---.hot.res.rr.com)
Date: December 23, 2005 05:08PM

I feel silly even having to ask this but do I need to use CP with metallic thread? I wouldn't think so but I am learning quickly not to assume things!

Thanks

-keith

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: metallic thread
Posted by: John Dow (---.245.167.38.Dial1.Stamford1.Level3.net)
Date: December 23, 2005 05:13PM

Keith , no , you do not need CP on metalics . You are right in not assuming things , even the most obvious things will bite you in the end if taken for granted , always double check if you aren't sure . The search will help out at times, if not , ask ! Have fun , John

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 23, 2005 06:01PM

Details, Detals, Details - one case where you MAY need CP on Metallics. Like John says you do not need it for color retention.

If you are doing a long butt wrap and do not pull a lot of tension it may be best to add a tad of CP at crossings to keep the stuff in place. If you have a long wrap and it sits around for a day or two before you finish it the humidity in the room may cause length increases in the metallics that will allow them to loosen and loose the packing band tightness.

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Keith Neidhart (---.hot.res.rr.com)
Date: December 23, 2005 06:36PM

I think it will be a while before I attempt any long or decrative wraps! Good to know that if left alone for a day or two, the thread tension can change, I wouldn't have thought of that. Does that mean I need to wrap and finish all of my guides the same day?

Thanks for the info!

Posted by: John Dow (---.245.167.38.Dial1.Stamford1.Level3.net)
Date: December 23, 2005 07:24PM

The thread tension can change if CP is used on NCP thread too . I learned that the hard way after doing a butt wrap with both nylon and NCP. After I applied the CP the NCP swelled up and must have grown by a 1/8th inch , destroyed the wrap ................live and learn , one or the other , no mixing for me . Have fun , John

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Levi Farster (---.essex1.com)
Date: December 24, 2005 02:01AM

I'm just a hobbyist, but... If your wrapper can be adjusted for tension, I mean the rod can be sortof locked in place, and you have a decent tension on your thread spool, you can hang a clothespin on the thread, and walk away and never worry, just get back to it whenever. Or really, anything that has just a little weight. Hang something between the rod and the spool. If your setup is way different, maybe this wont work. Levi

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster