I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

brush ???
Posted by: Ken Blevins (---.ironoh.adelphia.net)
Date: December 22, 2005 08:08AM

What quality of brushes do you all use to apply epoxy .I use Wal-mart cheapo's -12 brushes for a dollar and they seem to work for me. They are not real soft and thought that maybe this is the reason for my dry patches on my wraps
Thanks
Ken Blevins

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: brush ???
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.39.20.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: December 22, 2005 08:22AM

Brushes are good. The dry patches are cause of to thin a coat.
If you are not using CP then go over the wraps all, then come back and do them a little more. make sure you have a very good lighting to see.

If you see a drip under the wrap, just touch it with the brush

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2005 08:23AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 22, 2005 09:05AM

Use flat shaped, ox or camel hair brushes. And, don't "brush" the finish on. This is why you're getting those dry areas.

Use the brush as an "applicator tool." Load the brush with finish, hold it above the wrap, lower it to the wrap and rotate the wrap underneath it. Make one revolution and then lift the brush, reload with finish, move over one brush width, and repeat.

Brushing, poking, dabbing, prodding, all lead to bad finish jobs.

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.sanarb01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2005 09:29AM

I use to struggle with the softer bristles and then someone on this forum suggested the Plaid brand "Painter Brushes" found at Walmart in the Crafts section. They have various sizes and even sell packaged sets of different sizes. They run a couple dollars each, clean up well with Acetone, and really improved the looks of my wraps.

Posted by: LARRY PIRRONE (---.ontrca.adelphia.net)
Date: December 22, 2005 09:36AM

brushes are a pain. you have to clean them after use. i apply epoxy with spatulas made from those fake plastic credit cards that come in the mail every day. cut them into strips of the right width. try it once and i doubt you will go back to brushes.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 22, 2005 11:52AM

The individually wrapped plastic coffee stirrers from McDonalds work great They have a flat spatula end and work great for mixing, applying, eyc. Best thing is the cost!!

Mike

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.tci.com)
Date: December 22, 2005 12:07PM

I use those cheap plastic brushes also as I have not perfected my technique with a spatula yet.
The only problem I have had with the brushes is that sometimes a hair will detatch from the brush
and get stuck in the epoxi and if I don't catch it in time well, you know.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.226.---)
Date: December 22, 2005 12:19PM

A plastic palette knife is the ticket. Second choice is a strip cut from a closed foam paint brush, the dark grey dense ones. You are manuevering on the epoxy, not painting it on.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: December 22, 2005 09:06PM

I gave up on brushes once I saw Joe Kassuba demonstrate how to apply finish with a stainless steel spatula. It's simple, straight forward and cleanup is real easy. Stan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster