I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Third time re-build (13th Dec post ) - re Don,Lou and William !
Posted by: Mal. Marlow (---.sympatico.ca)
Date: December 21, 2005 09:34PM

This is in response to the comments I received from the above ................

I would like to know the difference between Permagloss and Spar Urathane is one any better than the other. Ease of application - wearing qualities etc.etc.

Many thanks
Mal.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Third time re-build (13th Dec post ) - re Don,Lou and William !
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: December 21, 2005 09:58PM

I put metal leafing on a reel seat this fall. I put 2 coats of Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane over the leafing. I then put the reel seat in my coat pocket for a bit of a test. I work in an office, so the coat is on the back of a chair most of the day.

After about 3 1/2 weeks, there were quite a few spots worn right down to the black of the reel seat. I know Spar is really weatherproof, but I'm kinda doubting it's wear resistance, now.

I plan on re-leafing the reel seat, coating it with 2 coats of Permagloss, and then re-doing the test until wear shows through again.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.186.63.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: December 21, 2005 10:51PM

The permagloss is hard, quick to dry, the better finish -- but a pain to use. Hot

The spar is a little on the yellow tint side. Easy to use, longer drying. Not as durable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2005 11:01PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 22, 2005 12:19AM

Agree with Bill above. Plus PermaGloss has a very quick dry time and would be hard to apply the way I do it. That's why I use the Spar Urethane. I may try Permagloss on a rod soon though using my application method, just to see how it works.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: December 22, 2005 12:32AM

I am new to rod building as well....Only done a few rods, but I use Spar Urethane because it is CHEAP, easy to find, and when you screw up as often as I do, it is MUCH easier to remove than other coatings. I will eventually try finishes that were specifically designed for rod building, but rught now, for the money and ease of use I will stick to Spar.

Derek

Posted by: Mal. Marlow (---.sympatico.ca)
Date: December 22, 2005 05:15AM

Thanks for the info on the differences of the 2 finishes !

Just last night found a product in my local hardware store made by "FLECTO" its a spray finish and a Varathane !
Its actually recommended for outdoor use. Do you think this would be more similar to the spar finish ? I think I would prefer to go with either of the products suggested from the board.by rod builders. I know spray finishes are usually easier to apply and give very good results, but I just wondered if anyone had tryed the FLECTO finish at all.

Thanks once again
Mal. Marlow

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.39.20.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: December 22, 2005 07:14AM

Another thing to try is the Mon-O- war spar varnish. I got a can and only tried it on a piece of scrap but it did look clearer and being a marine may last longer ?? Red can

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.225.---)
Date: December 22, 2005 12:33PM

Permagloss dries way to fast for my taste. I think the easiest way to coat a blank is to wrap a coffee filter around your finger and saturate the filter over your finger tip with a quick dry polyurethane, a Wipe On poly, spar varnish, or Tru-oil. The quick dry Poly appears to be the hardest finish next to the permagloss. That said, the Wipe On poly is the easiest to use followed by the Tru-oil. All of these products can also be used for wraps, but take many more coats than epoxies.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster