I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Static Guide Placement
Posted by: Tom Danielson (---.dtccom.net)
Date: December 21, 2005 10:53PM

5'4" Medium Heavy Glass - Casting
Ive read Tom Kirkman on placement (library reference) and did a search and gathered more info but still have some questions. The rod is short I think by most standards only 49" long in front of the fore grip. Using the charts for a 5 1/2' rod the butt guide goes roughly about 38" from the tip.
When I flex the rod, guides up, Im finding it hard to keep the line off the blank without the guides getting very close togeather, up to 8 guides and that sure seems like too many.
With the top glued on and the butt at 38" I keep wanting to add guides . Am I flexing the rod too much? I should be doing this with the guides up just as I would fish it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Static Guide Placement
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 21, 2005 11:16PM

Dump the charts. They do not take into consideration your handle length or reel size.

I can't really advise you where to place your butt guide - I'd need your reel here to do that. You want the butt guide located so that under what you anticipate as a full load the line between the butt guide and reel doesn't get down onto the foregrip. Generally, on a rod of that type, a distance of about 20 to 22 inches from the center of the reel will be roughly okay. Probably something along the lines of a size 16 in a low frame casting or a size 12 if a higher frame spinning style.

I'd think that about 7 guides would work, although 8 wouldn't necessarily be out of the question.

Date: December 22, 2005 12:04AM

Well that seems to be about right then. I was trying to make it happen with 5 guides (charts). Using 8 guides and the butt guide at 18 from the reel center Im thinking all is good. (Im using a Chronarch low profile frame)
Thanks again

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.39.20.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: December 22, 2005 07:45AM

easy way to figure how many is go to the higher foot. 5 1/2' would be 6 guides then depending on the blank
Try taking one away on the tip and see what the spacing is like.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 22, 2005 09:03AM

I think you're on the right track.

Date: December 22, 2005 11:24PM

Ended up with tip and 7 with the butt guide 18" from reel center. Static tested using the 2 line method you discribed. Started at 5" apart and made one adjustment to each guide about .75" - 1" took it out and casted for about 30 minutes. Average was about 15' -20' furthur than any of my commercial rods using the same casting plug. It really felt much different and accuracy was excellent. I wrapped it and will epoxy in the next day or so. Ive been reading up on everyones suggestions regarding brush or spatula. Jury is still out. I have an identical blank that I will use and make a same rod but with a spiral wrap.
Thanks all

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.147.231.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: December 22, 2005 11:31PM

It's nice when a plan comes together

You could start out with the cheap flex coat brushes. Try a couple of practice runs first. Epoxy , ya put it on and it does it's thing. Not really that scary. it can be put on with a stick, as long as it is clean.

Date: December 25, 2005 08:17PM

Have finished with the apoxy. It got a little "sticky" you could say. Looks nice no bubbles but it seemed like the apoxy had a short pot life or I was just working too slow. Did use a spatula all the way thru using the Mac's coffee stirrers. I had a thought in the back of my mind after I had begun that I didnt read the syringe correctly which may have given me 1/2cc more hardener than resin. IF this were the case would it tend to shorten pot life? What should the pot life be?
If I thin with acetone will i get a longer pot life? I know it means 2 coats if thinned. The 6 rpm drying motor seems too slow for applying and I will look for a motor about twice that speed or a variable speed motor..
I took it out this morning and did some more casting and realized that the additional distance I thought I had gained over my commercial rods had all to do with where I was standing when I was testing guide location but I seem to get the distance with less effort.

Posted by: Michael E Tanner (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: December 26, 2005 12:44PM

Tom,
Maybe I can help with the sticky part.
I always make sure I have Paper towels and alcohol close when I set down for anything except wrapping.
also some of the best advice I got on this board was with epoxy - it's not how much you put on but how much you take off.
I cover the wraps well then come back after I start turning and take the sags out down to the amount of finish I want left on each wrap.
Too Much Information. I just felt extra helpful today.
Mike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster