I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fiberglass Rod - Lamiglas or Diamondglass?
Posted by: Tony Pevec (---.cdm.com)
Date: December 21, 2005 02:45PM

Just was seeing if anybody has had any experience with either one of these rods.

I am looking for a 6'-6" 2 or 3 piece 3wt.

Any other recommended manufacturer's are recommended.

Thanks,

Tony

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fiberglass Rod - Lamiglas or Diamondglass?
Posted by: LARRY PIRRONE (---.att.net)
Date: December 21, 2005 05:25PM

i have the three pc lami honey colored blank in 6'6" length. billed as a 3 wt but will throw a 2 o 3. i just converted mine to 6 piece which stiffened it up a little and makes it a better 3
wt. i have been told that the two piece in this configuration is kind of wimpy.

Posted by: Tim Hough (71.224.95.---)
Date: December 21, 2005 06:24PM

I built one of the honey colored 2 piece Lami's. It WAS wimpy. The multi piece ones are much nicer. Too bad they stopped producing their black S-glass fly blanks...they were sweet (and fairly cheap), my 7 1/2 ft 4 wt is still a favorite of mine to cast.. No experience with Diamondglass at all, only their graphite rods from "back in the day."

Tim

Posted by: Andy Davison (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 21, 2005 11:23PM

I've built the Lami 6'6" 3 weight 2 piece and I just bought a factory 6'6" Diamondglass 3 weight last summer. I didn't like the lami that much, waaay too noodly. The diamondglass is awesome though, I love it. Definetely a lot different action than the lami, I just wish it was a 3 piece. It's still a full flexing rod but has a silky smooth action, the lami had no backbone for fishing nymphs. I would say go with the diamondglass or else try the 3 piece lami, I've heard it's a lot better than the 2 piece. I've heard people that love the 2 piecer though, I guess to each his own.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.il-chicago0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: December 22, 2005 10:49AM

Haven't tried your blank, but the 8 ft 4 wt Diamondglass that I tried was a real delight to fish. As nice as any custom glass rod I've tried over the years.

Posted by: Dave Jamieson (206.239.195.---)
Date: December 22, 2005 11:51AM

Has anyone tried the 6-piece lamiglas honey blanks? I was considering the 3 weight for a winter project. I assume it's got more backbone than the 2-piece or even the 3-piece?

Posted by: LARRY PIRRONE (---.ontrca.adelphia.net)
Date: December 22, 2005 12:14PM

dave, when i converted the three pc 3wt using spigot ferrules just like lamiglass does it stiffened it up and made it a good three wt. before it was really a 2 for me. i think lamiglass uses the same taper for the multi piece (except the two which is tip over butt) rods so i would say that the 6 piece from lami would make a nice rod for what you would want a six piece rod for (small streams that you would have to hike into). it would be an adequate caster at short distances up to about 40 feet.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.va-ashburn0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: December 22, 2005 10:19PM

The six piece has about the same or less backbone as it has very fine spigot ferrules. Built one as a ultra-ultralight spinning rod for the old man. It CCd at around 1.3 if I remember right. Action angle was in the low 50's. Many of the glass rods I've CCd or seen CCd were lighter than their ratings.

Posted by: LARRY PIRRONE (---.ontrca.adelphia.net)
Date: December 22, 2005 10:50PM

the glass i used for spigots was from an old heddon glass blank and may have been stiffer than the ones lamiglas uses. the conversion made the rod stiffer for sure.

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.lamiglas.com)
Date: January 02, 2006 02:37PM

Tony,
what you may want to look at are the Blue Ridge blanks. These are a glass & graphite blank in 3pc.

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: Jim Benenson (164.64.146.---)
Date: January 04, 2006 06:02PM

Todd,

I have sent you a second e-mail about a problem with one of your blanks. Please respond.

Jim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster