I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide size advise needed
Posted by: Jan-Ole Willers (---.adsl.hansenet.de)
Date: December 20, 2005 02:33PM

Dera all,

intend to build a 10'6 steelhead/casting rod. Blank has arrived (Rainshadow IST1264) now I am planning to order the guides but I' am not quite sure about the sizes I have to go for. I intend to use Fuji guides, following my plan (up to now) I intend to follow for a straight baitcasting setup with an ABU 3600 Mörrum to be used:

FUJI TLNSG (double foot design)
1x #16
1x #12
1x #10
1x #8
1x #7

FUJI TLSG (one foot design)
5x #6

FUJI TFST
1x #6

The final number of used guides I will determine by stress test. My main thought currently; [ I think some more will follow based on your proposals ;-) ] is the first butt guide where I heard that it could be good to start with a #20 which is not available in the preferred design. As you can see, one question hunts the next one...

All comments welcome. Maybe some experienced steelhead rodbuilders can help me in this regard, here locally (Germany) rodbuilding is unfortunately by far not as popular than in the US, so please give me your comments.

RGDS,
Ole

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide size advise needed
Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: December 20, 2005 04:54PM

Ole,

I don't build casting rods for steelhead so perhaps some others with more experience will jump in. As a rule of thumb I use the smallest guides that will pass the line I use. On fly rods I seldom use guides over size 6 ceramics as running guides. I doubt that there is an advantage to use a butt guide as large as a 20 for a casting rod such as you are building. If you are using a level wind reel the line is already constrained to the width of the level wind guide as it comes from the reel.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Leon Mack (67.99.3.---)
Date: December 20, 2005 05:40PM

I would go with more like a 10 or 12 to start with and then straight to 6's or 5.5's or even 5's all the way up.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 20, 2005 09:21PM

Hi Jan,
I've built more than a few bait casters but not one that long yet. However, you can switch to the single foot guides after the butt and tamer.
That will save weight. Also, the #16 may or may not be bigger than necissary. I would guess that the #12 would be a better choice but that would be determined by the height of your reel and I am not familar with the model you mention.
I agree with Leon, and if you want to save more weight you can drop to the smallest size after the tamer. (the one after the butt)
Although some think it looks funny it will perform better. If you wrap it as a standard (guides up) bait-cast you will most likely need 11-12
guides depending on your test like you said but if you wrap a simple spiral (bumper) you can get away with less because most of the guide will be on the bottom of the blank.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.tx-dallas0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: December 20, 2005 09:49PM

I don't go any larger than a 12, even on the IST 1266F I'm building now. Also with this length rod I'm not sure you'd notice the difference between the Ti guides and say a set of Alconites. The weight and length of the blank kind of negates the weight difference, for me, in this length rod.

Posted by: Mike Adams (---.dhcp.knwk.wa.charter.com)
Date: December 20, 2005 10:22PM

I asked the same question a while back about guides for the same blank and got these responses [www.rodbuilding.org]. This rod is bumper wrapped but I used 12 & 10 BLNAG and finished with BLAG 8 for the rest of the guides. Tip top BFAT. The friend who received the rod has been impressed with it's performance.

This thread has kind of stuck with me about not needing to progressively step down running guides [www.rodbuilding.org].

Mike

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.39.157.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: December 21, 2005 08:53AM

Another thing to " ponder "
Ya know those bait casting reels ? The spinning reels with the cover on them ?
What size is the hole on the cover where the line comes out ?
maybe an 8 ring ?

makes one wonder if even smaller rings can work even better on spinners ? If the cover was taken off, most would use a #20 as the first butt guide?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster