I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Applying permagloss
Posted by: steve parks (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 20, 2005 08:54AM

Do ya think that permagloss could be applied with an air brush and what would you use to clean the gun? I know it would have to be cleaned immediately. My reason for asking is that I would like to paint some smaller blanks and permagloss lifts the paint when trying to apply it with a make-up sponge, brush or coffee filter. I've painted some heavy stand up rods with SEM Color Coat paint and just covered the whole rod in Aftcote finish because rod weight was not really an issue. Just trying to find a way to paint the smaller blanks and finish with permagloss since it is a very tough finish. I've tried tinting permagloss but it would cover completely with a solid color.

Thanks,
Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Applying permagloss
Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 20, 2005 09:04AM

Steve, as you have discovered, permagloss is very hot! If you are going to use it you will need to use a quality paint and allow a ample amount of cure time prior to finishing with the permagloss.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Date: December 20, 2005 09:17AM

Doug,
I have let painted blanks sit for a week or better and still the same result.....lifted paint. I wonder if the same clear coat that is applied to vehicles would be sufficient. Maybe clear the rod and put it in a heated drying box. I dunno.....just trying to find a way to paint a lighter blank effectively. I wonder what G-USA uses on their blanks? hmmmmm!

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: December 20, 2005 09:35AM

"I've tried tinting permagloss but it would cover completely with a solid color."

What did you mean by this, Steve? You didn't want a complete, solid color?

Putter
Williston, ND

Date: December 20, 2005 09:38AM

Typo...I meant it would not cover with a solid color.

Date: December 20, 2005 10:12AM

Steve, I've tinted black blanks with white pigments in Permagloss. It covered very well. Took more than one coat, but really looked nice when I was done. No need for a clear coat when done, either.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 20, 2005 10:31AM

If you use a little more pigment you can get the Permagloss to provide a true opaque finish color. I swipe it on with a foam brush - one pass on one side than a quick pass on the other and let it stand for 30 minutes. Then repeat. That's usually all it takes.

Date: December 20, 2005 12:14PM

It does work well, Steve. I have some new 'rubber' material that I intend to try out doing this. I'll get my Christmas stuff out of the way and maybe try it out after the 1st of the year. I'll post the results to either prevent anyone else from going thru the misery or to help others with a new, easy way (hope, hope!!).

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 20, 2005 12:38PM

Steve,

Try Spar urethane. That's what I use looks good afterward.

Bill in WV

Date: December 20, 2005 12:41PM

I put metal leaf on a reel seat and threw it in my coat pocket for about 3 1/2 weeks after putting Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane on it (2 coats). It wore through right to the reel seat. I work in an office setting, so the coat isn't doing much but hanging most of the day. I don't think it's very "wear resistant". It sounds like it's pretty "weather resistant, though...

Any other's thoughts on this spar and it's wear resistance????

Putter
Williston, ND

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2005 12:42PM by Randy Parpart (Putter).

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 20, 2005 12:48PM

Thanks Putter, didn't know that.

Bill in WV

Date: December 20, 2005 02:54PM

I had to test it for myself, Bill, before I used it on someone else's rod. This was a handy little test. I plan on re-leafing it and applying Permagloss and putting it through the same standards, too.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 20, 2005 10:20PM

If you do spray the PG wear a respirator and do it outsde.Just the smell when brushing is bad let alone getting some mist in the air.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster