I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

guide sizes
Posted by: Ken Blevins (---.ironoh.adelphia.net)
Date: December 20, 2005 07:33AM

I've noticed that guide eye size vary from manufacture to manufacture and was wondering if there are charts or tools that can help with sizing??? Is a # six eye guide 1/16 of an inch or ¼. [Or whatever]. Or is this something I just have to work out for myself.
Thanks
Ken Blevins
So little time, so many questions

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: guide sizes
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.111.98.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: December 20, 2005 08:01AM

If you put the blank in the " search " of this site you will come up with suggestions on sizes that other people have used. Use all dates On top in the red banner.

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 20, 2005 08:26AM

Ken guide size is measured in mm. A #6 guide should measure 6mm to the outside diam of the insert or the inside diam. of the frame.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 20, 2005 09:11AM

Ring size would be the same no matter who makes them as the size indicates the diameter in millimeters

Mike

Posted by: Ken Blevins (---.ironoh.adelphia.net)
Date: December 20, 2005 09:12AM

Doug
If I understand you correctly a #7 guide would be 7mm ,#8 guide--8mm and so on
Thanks
Ken Blevins

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: December 20, 2005 10:07AM

Ken - Somewhere, there is a LINK for the FUJI Line Guide "Ring Size Chart", with Diameters. If anybody knows where the LINK is, please REPLY & POST it. Thanks, ...

It is a one-page *.PDF File that has ring sizes from 2.5mm up to 50mm, for all ring & flange styles, and lists OD, ID and WIDTH. -Cliff Hall+++ Merry Christmas

FUJI Ring HEIGHTS can be found at: [www.fujitackle.com]

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 20, 2005 11:59AM

Ken,
That's correct! A size 20 guide should have a 20mm outside ring diameter, no matter who makes it.

Mike

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 20, 2005 12:45PM

Check the Merrick Tackle site the have a page in PDF format that indicates guide sizes. It actually has circles that indicate guide ring size.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Richard Chappel (---.cleveland.apk.net)
Date: December 20, 2005 01:53PM

Anglers resource on the sponsor list is the US distributor for FUGI . They have a catalog request form.

Best for the Holidays !

Posted by: Jim Benenson (164.64.146.---)
Date: December 20, 2005 02:23PM

With ceramic rings, the diameter varies! The inside of the frame might be 8 mm, but the ceramic thickness varies, so you will have a range of openings. You can eyeball the differences in a catalog, but the only way to know for sure is to either ask the manufacturer for the I.D. or buy one or two of different brands and compare them.

Jim

Posted by: Jim Benenson (164.64.146.---)
Date: December 20, 2005 02:23PM

With ceramic rings, the diameter varies! The inside of the frame might be 8 mm, but the ceramic thickness varies, so you will have a range of openings. You can eyeball the differences in a catalog, but the only way to know for sure is to either ask the manufacturer for the I.D. -- even their own guides vary by style -- or buy one or two guides of different brands and compare them.

Jim

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 20, 2005 03:02PM

The size of the guide is not determined by the opening of the ring, but by the inside of the frame. If the inside of the frame is 8mm, then the guide is a size 8 regardless of the thickness of the ceramic insert.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Tom Danielson (---.dtccom.net)
Date: December 21, 2005 04:48PM

I think the whole system of ring size and top size is wierd to say the least. For what reason would the tube opening of the top be measured in 64th and the rings be sized by a metric standard whether ring on the top or the guide. That this has remained the standard in the industry is a fluke. Also to size a tube opening in "half 64th" make even less sense i.e. 9.5/64th. If a person is measuring a rod tip with calipers he might find a tip at .1406" (9/64th) or 3.57mm (metric is not used for tube size). Going down a listing for tops you would find a listing for 9.5/64th or .1484" but why not simply use the inch system for both tube and tube ring and even guide ring. The industry wont change anything its a matter of getting used to it. I think the U.S. decimal for both top tube/ring and guide ring sure would make it easier. I have never seen a caliper that reads in fractions (tubes in 64ths???) For U.S. I think decimal would simplify it all and the metric conversion (25.4mm) for Autrailia and England and other metric users. Guide and top ring size should be referencing the opening the line passes thru or if not why not? I'd really like the industry lose this "double standard".

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 23, 2005 11:48AM

For some reason I couldn't post the direct address the the ring chart mentioned above, but if you go to the Anglers Resource home page and click the drop down menu for "General information", you'll see the link to the ring chart. [www.anglersresource.net]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster