I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

wrapping small guides
Posted by: Ken Blevins (---.ironoh.adelphia.net)
Date: December 19, 2005 10:59PM

Hello group
I’m having a real problem getting started wrapping the smaller guides at the tip of the rod. My fingers are getting a little stiff and I have trouble holding the thread to get the wrap started. I tried taping the end and pulling it underneath the wrap but don’t really care for the finished product. Any simpler way to get this done
Ken Blevins

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: wrapping small guides
Posted by: Fred Murphy (---.ptldor.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 19, 2005 11:06PM

Ken: That is always a problem for me also. On page two of the photo site is a neat looking "tip top support" made by Stan Gregory. I haven't made one yet, but plan to very soon, it looks like it would work quite well.
Murf

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: December 19, 2005 11:38PM

I am waiting for a company to market peel-and-stick guides.....That would solve the whole "can't grow two extra arms" problem I have wrapping small guides....esp single foot guides....on thin whippy blanks. I built 6 roller stands and (wince) glue my guides in place prior to wrapping. If I use all six stands I can get some pretty even blank support for the whippy end.

Derek

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: December 20, 2005 07:52AM

Lotsa patience!!! I hate putting on the 1st 2 or 3 guides on these lightweight Walleye rods that I make or even worse is the Ice Rods, they are even lighter on the ends. It seems that my fingers are just a litttle too fat to make that an easy feat. I usually start out real loose on the tension and then start the wrap about 1/8 inch from the foot and then make a couple of turns pull the tag end tight and push it up to the foot. I think it is a little easier that way, but still not a walk in the park.

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.sanarb01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: December 20, 2005 08:52AM

I use Flex Coat's guide foot adhesive for those small guides on tiny tips. It's pretty easy to do and you can manipulated the guide a bit before it sets. Actually you can tweak it a bit after wrapping sometimes. Just don't burn your fingers and use lots of support when wrapping.

Posted by: Lu Gardner (---.sta.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: December 21, 2005 07:57AM

Just a thought based on the reply about "peel and stick guides".
You could take double sided scott's tape put it on the foot of your guide trim excess off with razer knife, and stick to rod. Should still have enough play to adjust guide after you wrap it, if needed.
Never though about it before, but might work

Posted by: John Rustige (---.dnr.mo.gov)
Date: December 21, 2005 06:59PM

I do two things that seem to help. First, based on some advice from the board, I tie the guides to the blank using rubber bands. On the small ones I've used two rubber bands (on single foots), just to hold them relatively tight. After I tie the knots on the bands, I trim the tag ends off the rubber bands just to get them out of the way.

Secondly, I begin the wrap quite a distance from the guide making it gradually tighter. At some point, I then pull on the tag end, essentially unwrapping up to the point I want the wrap to start. This can be can be done rather tightly. Sometimes it takes me a few times to get this to work, but I do all of this by hand without a thread tensioner. It is slow going, but I'm in no hurry because I only build for family and friends.

Now if I could just get my eyes to work. I think I'm approaching the bifocal brigade.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster