I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

stupid question?
Posted by: Steve Smotherman (72.49.176.---)
Date: December 19, 2005 10:42PM

Alot of the discussions on this site go right over my head but im learning and I thank everyone thats willing to help us new guys out since I can count on one hand how many rods Ive built I havent had to rebuild or repair any yet (knock on wood) I also own six St.Croix flyrods built by the manufacturer these have had some misshapps over the years Ive sent them to St Croix they repaired them and sent them back as good as new my question is on custom rods if say you break an upper section on a three piece rod can you order just that section and not the whole blank?What kind of warranty do you provide your clients that can compete with todays lifetime warranty offered by todays rod manufacturers?I know that most blanks come with a warranty but most dont have unconditional warrantys.
So what if you modify a rod (say convert a spinning blank to a flyrod or vice versa
wont this void any kinda of warranty on the blank?

Thanx steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: stupid question?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 19, 2005 10:59PM

As long as you don't alter the length or finish of the blank, you should not void the warranty. Generally, you can get individual sections of a rod blank, but often the manufacturer may decide it's more economical (for them) to just replace an entire blank.

Re: stupid question?
Posted by: Ray Zarychta (162.136.193.---)
Date: December 20, 2005 12:48PM

Steve, I have built several spinning rods from 2 piece fly blanks up to 2wt 7'6" blanks. A couple of my customers are not exactly the gentle type and have broken the same rod multiple times. I had to send both pieces back and St. Croix matched the needed top section to the bottom, the charge was for the top and shipping back, last time $10.00 for shipping. I in turn, charge my customer for the expense of the new tip, shipping and for re-wrapping the guides on to the new top section. Each time they broke the rods was due to carelessness on their part, door slams, etc. Even when the rod broke landing a fish I suspect it was due to their terminal tackle, the small eared split shot they use to keep the bait down was most likely putting nicks in the top of the rod on the cast or when they stored the rods. Neither of these "experienced" fishermen realized that this could happen.

I just delivered the latest break which is now a 1 piece 7'6" rod, it will be interesting to see how long this one lasts!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster