I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Big Things in Store for 2006
Posted by: Andy Dear (---.stic.net)
Date: December 17, 2005 09:21PM

Hey Folks,
As the year comes to a close, I just wanted first of all to say Merry Christmas to everyone, and THANK YOU ...Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, for such a tremendous year...I mean truly tremendous. We experienced growth on a scale I never thought possible for a Redneck workin' out of a barn in South Texas!
2005 saw several big things happening here in South Texas, among them the release of the revolutionary new ThreadMaster finish, 2 new Exotic Burl patterns, and the acquisition of the CTS line of blanks. And from the looks of it 2006 is going to dwarf 2005. Although I cant give all the surprises away, I can tell you several BIG things will be happening:

1. We will be releasing a Color Preserver to complement the ThreadMaster finish

2 We will also be releasing some new & interesting epoxy systems for the assembly of handles/reelseats to rodblanks. Not only will the resins themselves be unique, but the dispensing system will be quite...well...really cool.

3. We will be working with CTS to develop a technique specific line of Bass and Light Tackle saltwater spinning and casting blanks as well as some revolutionary new flyblanks as well.

4. I am currently investigating some waterborne urethane products specifically engineered to serve as a coating for the Exotic Burl product.

5.Somehow, someway we are going to release a line of pre-formed Exotic Burl grips for you non-lathe owning rodmakers. There is no reason your rods should not look as...well...Exotic as the rest of ours!

6.Starting Jan. 2nd we will be extending our phone/email order hours to 8:00am Central time to 9:00pm Central time. This means you can call and place orders or ask technical RodBuilding questions for 12 hours out of a 24 hour day.

I've got several other things in store, but you'll just have to wait until they materialize. As well, Emily and I are REALLY looking forward to seeing as many of you as possible in Charlotte again next year as well. She said to me the other day "You know, last year I was really nervous about being around all those Rodbuilders, but I really feel like they are old friends now" That's scary to think that my wife considers Billy Vivona an old friend. Personally I just thinks she likes taking money from a bunch of crusty old dudes.

Also, I want any and all of you to know that if you're ever in the South Texas area, you are more than welcome to stop by the shop and visit. We live barely 1 mile from a beautiful River loaded with Bass, and if the weather permits, I am always up a for a day trip to the coast to chase Redfish...I'll even pole you around for the whole day no questions asked. Ken Praeger can vouch for my "guiding skills" (I use that term loosely).

Thanks again guys, you'll never know how much I appreciate all of your support.

Regards, and here's wishing you a MERRY CHRISTMAS, Tight lines, and BIG FAT fish!

Andy Dear
Lamar Mfg.
www.lamarreelseats.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Big Things in Store for 2006
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 17, 2005 09:44PM

Yahoo!! Andy!
The next time I order finish I have already decided to try ThreadMaster. I am one of those "no lathe" guys and have been looking for
burl grips with little or no success. If I do find someone who turns them and are willing to sell one the price is well HIGH!!
One of these days I'll be emailing or calling you for a catalog. Although we have never met and I have yet to do business with you the
respect and admoration you get on this board tells me "what have I been waiting for"?

Looking Forward,

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 17, 2005 09:46PM

Andy Dear Wrote:lize.
>That's scary to think that my wife considers Billy Vivona an old friend.

LOL!!! That is scary. Hopefully our booths are close together in February, I had a great time hanging out with you guys. We may be from WAY different sections of the country, but we're all pretty much the same. Well, not really the same, but I guess opposites attract, lol.

You're definately on the right track, keep looking at what's currently available, and improvig on it and you'll continue coming up with winner after winner. Looking foward to the new products in 2006. Best of luck.

Date: December 17, 2005 09:50PM

The reason I worry about that is because I don't want your wife and my wife to get together....Emily may come home one day with the skills to back up her talk, and finally bludgeon me into submission!

For those of you who don't know, Billy's wife is an amazingly talented female boxer, and a beautiful lady as well.

How she ended up with him is one of those great mysteries...then again how Emily tolerates me is one for the books also.

Andy

Posted by: John Dow (---.245.167.107.Dial1.Stamford1.Level3.net)
Date: December 17, 2005 09:59PM

Andy , I tried the new finish this afternoon , I was amazed when I was mixing it , I could not get it to make any bubbles ........... I tried too , it mixed great ,and went on nicely for being sub artic in the basement where I have my lathe and stuff . I'll let you know how things look in the AM .
Keep Vivona away from your wife , he's a terrorist ...........LOL I am making plans to attend the show with Billy and Mike and hope to meet you there . Bring on the CP , and you need to remind me to get exotic burl when I call for stuff ( I was kicking myself for you sending a box with just finish in it , should have filled the rest with burl cork , my bad ) Best of buisness and pleasure in '06'
About time for a little Andy isn't it ? John H Dow

Got Fish ?

Date: December 17, 2005 10:13PM

You know what? Getting to do this for a living is a vacation.... seriuosly. You guys have made it possible for me to be on vacation 365 days a year. having to go visit the in-laws over Christmas...that's work.

And don't worry...Those days when the tide is right, and the wind is out of the Southeast, and 10mph or less I find a way to make for some "Andy time"

Andy

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.144.146.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: December 17, 2005 10:30PM

Hay Andy

My rods would look like your's but I can't afford your blanks ??

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 17, 2005 10:42PM

Sounds like great stuff ahead! Looking forward to seeing you and Emily in Charlotte again and tippin' a few!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: John Dow (---.245.167.107.Dial1.Stamford1.Level3.net)
Date: December 17, 2005 11:11PM

I didn't mean time for you to go and play .................isn't it time for the pitter patter of little feet , and the sweet aroma of a messy diaper on a little Andy ?.............................. I'll bring some pics of my son to show "how cute they are" , that will get the wick lit . JHD

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: December 18, 2005 12:02AM

Andy,
Last night I finished putting the ThreadMaster on a Rainshadow SW967F rod that I built for my daughter-in-law from San Diego. What a pleasure to work with your rod finish. Jeffery Wolfanger took your advice and came by with two big flounder that he caught and a dozen tamales that we quickly wolfed down. I know this coming year will be great for you. As a fellow Texican, I couldn't be happier for you. I know how hard you work. I read somewhere that the only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Cheers, Ellis

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: December 18, 2005 02:16AM

Andy, behind every successful man stands a woman who couldn' t be more surprised!! LOL! Get that cast iron skillet out, Emily!!

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.riogrd01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 18, 2005 08:20AM

Andy; Thread Master arrived yesterday, I am building a stand-up now so it will get quick use
Great talking to you! Good Luck

Posted by: Scott Olex (---.bflony.adelphia.net)
Date: December 18, 2005 05:07PM

Andy,

You don't have to worry about your wife learning to box because you're already living dangerously. As my wife told me years ago, "You have to sleep sometime". I tried sleeping with one eye open then I tried sleeping with the right open for a few hours then the left. After extensive testing I determined that she was indeed correct, I did have to sleep eventually and I had to close both eyes. It was shortly after that when I decided that just staying out of trouble was in my best interests. Oh Oh... Here she comes. Better hit the post button before she sees this...

Scott

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster