I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rodbuilder magazine.
Posted by: Levi Farster (---.essex1.com)
Date: December 17, 2005 02:54AM

Allright. The post about ERN and the common cents system got me. I mean, using pennies to deflect a rod a given distance over its length to determine action? Who thinks of this stuff? A ziploc bag of pennies. For real, people are bagging pennies, and tying them on, to see what? I gotta know. It's crazy, I can tell my freinds about it. If this stuff is available in the mag, I want a years subscription. How, and who do I send the money to. Some back issues too, Tom, dont skimp. Money is not a problem. Wow. Levi

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rodbuilder magazine.
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 17, 2005 09:14AM

The Common Cents Systems is the first and only objective and relative system for measuring rod action, power and frequency (feel). Pennies are used as a weight medium to achieve the deflection constant because of their verbatim weight. They also allow builders and fishermen to concentrate on taking the measurements without having to worry about the math behind the system (how many people would use a computuer if they had to understand how it actually worked?).

Dr. William Hanneman is the inventor of the system. You can access it online at the link near the top of the sponsor column or in RodMaker volume 6 #'s 2, 3, 4 and 5.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 17, 2005 09:16AM

You can order RM as well as back issues at the link on the left of this page. If you do not see a sponsor's list on the left disable your pop-up and or add blocker!

Yes, we really use pennys!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: December 17, 2005 09:53AM

IN PART 5 of the CCS Files at [www.common-cents.info] , you will find a LIST of the RodMaker Magazine Articles which cover Dr. Bill Hanneman's Common Cents System (CCS), on the last page of the article "Dynamic Characterization of Fly Rods: Frequency and More". The complete Editor's Note (TK) and the List of CCS Articles is quoted below for your convenience. The final "OVERVIEW" or 6th installment of CCS Articles is a work that is still in progress, and it's not available anywhere yet that I am aware of.

There seems to be about 12 or 13 Files to download from the CCS Info website. And that represents about 50 pages to skim thru, in order to organize your thoughts and mental archive before you even READ the Front-Page Introduction or the Glossary. So, allow for an earnest look before impatience takes over. -Cliff Hall+++ (CMH).

PENNIES seem to have been selected as a convenient, inexpensive and reliable way to establish a weight & increment standard which can be universally and precisely adopted by everyone without too much difficulty. CENTS makes SENSE, to me. IMO, -CMH

Editor’s Note: Until the advent of the complete Common Cents System, the only relative measurements available for rods and blanks concerned length and weight, and only those two. Any other rod or blank “properties” were listed according to the subjective opinions of the respective designer or maker and were not accountable to any across the board standards or constants.

Now, with the advent of Dr. Hanneman’s latest work, the CCF and Rod Tip Speed Analysis, rod builders and fishermen have, for the first time ever, a totally objective and relative means of measuring and comparing nearly all of the most important intrinsic properties of a rod or blank - Action, Power, Speed, Frequency or Feel.

Along with this issue, these previous issues of RodMaker contain the complete system as presented by the inventor.

Volume 6 #2 • The Common Cents System - Determining power (ERN) and action (AA).

Volume 6 #3 • The Big Picture - Using the Common Cents System to further analyze rod power and action.

Volume 6 #4 • The Common Cents System - Dr. Bill’s Fly Line Analyzer and The Rosetta Stone Chart.

Volume 6 #5 • The Common Cents System - Balancing fly rods and reels.

Volume 7 #2 • The Common Cents System - Updated Rosetta Stone Chart.

all you need to know-
Posted by: Ken Finch (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 17, 2005 10:11AM

If you just want to use the system you only need to read the last 2 or 3 pages of the first installment. That's pretty much all you need to know to make use of it. The rest is just if you want to understand the unpinnings of the system. I think they even mention that on the cover page of the first installment on the website. Don't worry about those 50 pages, all you need is just 2 or 3 and you can go right to work.

Date: December 18, 2005 02:45AM

I want it all. As far as 'puters, I kinda know how they work. If I didn't, I would probably take this laptop apart. I hope I can giva a credit card number, and start getting the mag. Levi

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: December 18, 2005 10:36AM

BACK-ISSUES of RodMaker Magazine (RMM) are available at:
[www.rodmakermagazine.com]

RMM SUBSCRIPTIONS can also be done on-line there. Credit Cards accepted. The RMM website shows a condensed Table of Contents for each Back-Issue that is still available, to help you find Topics and Issues that may be of interest to you.

Consult the RMM Index of Articles for a Topic or Author approach to your "Search" at the RBO / LIBRARY /

* RodMaker Magazine Index Volumes 1 through 7 [www.rodbuilding.org]

* RodMaker Magazine Directory Vol. 1- 7 - Excel File
[www.rodbuilding.org] - Download source.

Only RMM Volumes 5 and forward will be available come January 2006. RMM Back-Issues for Volumes 1- 4 can be obtained by following the announcement and instructions at "Last Call" by Tom Kirkman 12/14/05 [www.rodbuilding.org]

Merry Christmas, -Cliff Hall+++

Date: December 18, 2005 06:41PM

Thanks Cliff. Happy holidays to you and yours.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster