I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How do I convert ERN pennies to lure weight for spinning rods?
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.sanarb01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: December 16, 2005 10:35AM

I finally woke up and found the spinning rod tab of the CC Data Page. I know the ERN in pennies for fly line weights but where is the chart or formula to determine pennies in lure weight for spinning rods? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How do I convert ERN pennies to lure weight for spinning rods?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 16, 2005 10:51AM

The ERN is a relative power rating. Not a fly line weight, although ERN = ELN with 30 feet of line aerialized.

When possible, use the manufacturer's recommendation for casting and spinning lure casting weight range.

For unknown casting lure weight ranges:

Upper end of weight range:
(1.5 x number of cents) - 20 = weight in grains

Lower end of weight range
(.8 x number of cents) - 20 = weight in grains

To convert grains to ounces, multiply by .0022857

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2005 10:54AM by Tom Kirkman.

Date: December 16, 2005 10:56AM

Thanks Tom, actually I meant fly rods but my fingers outraced my mind and typed fly line. Thanks again.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: December 16, 2005 11:21AM

I don't know where such a Table is. As far as converting the units of CENTS to OUNCES, this may help: [I am unread on the CCS tome.]

One OUNCE weight is 28.35 GRAMS mass. Therefore ONE Penny = 1.00 Cents = 2.50 / 28.35 = 0.0882 ounces = roughly ~ 3 / 32nds ounce.
It takes 11.33 Pennies to equal one ounce (1.00 oz). -Cliff Hall+++

Common Cents Glossary, by Dr. William “Bill” Hanneman
[www.common-cents.info]

Common Cent: Unit of mass utilized in the CCS, composed of a common U.S. one cent piece minted after the year 1996. Each of which has the mass of 38.61 grains or 2.50 grams.

ERN / Effective Rod Number: Part of the Common Cents System which provides a relative measure of intrinsic power of a rod. A measure of the force required to load (deflect) the tip of a rod a distance equal to one third of its length.

Date: December 16, 2005 11:49AM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The ERN is a relative power rating. Not a fly line
> weight, although ERN = ELN with 30 feet of line
> aerialized.
>
> When possible, use the manufacturer's
> recommendation for casting and spinning lure
> casting weight range.
>
> For unknown casting lure weight ranges:
>
> Upper end of weight range:
> (1.5 x number of cents) - 20 = weight in grains
>
> Lower end of weight range
> (.8 x number of cents) - 20 = weight in grains
>
> To convert grains to ounces, multiply by .0022857

Tom, I'm having trouble with with these formulas. If I use 40 pennies for example:

Lower end - 40 x .8 = 32 - 20 = 12 grains x .002286 (my weight conversion chart) = .027 ozs or <1/32 ounce.

Upper end - 40 x 1.5 = 60 - 20 = 40 grains x .002286 = .091 oxs or <3/32 ounce.

Are we sure we should use grains and not grams? I'm missing the boat somewhere here because I think I'll need a small anvil to check my blanks. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

>
> ...............
>
>
>
> Edited 1 times. Last edit at 12/16/05 10:54AM by
> Tom Kirkman.

Date: December 16, 2005 12:12PM

Do not convert the weight of the pennies to ounces, or any other unit of weight. That won't help you. You cannot convert the weight of the pennies used to delfect the rod the required distance, to a casting lure weight. No rod will handle that kind of weight in a casting situation. The weight needed to take the measurements and the weight any blank will cast are two very different things. I wouldn't want anyone to confuse the two - you could very easily break a rod blank.

Tim,

No, those are correct. If you're working with heavier spinning and casting blanks, you will indeed need to use one heck of a lot of pennies. A blank that reaches the required deflection with just 40 pennies is going to be along the lines of an ultra-light to very light power.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2005 12:27PM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Shawn Moore (85.195.119.---)
Date: December 16, 2005 12:20PM

Those equations work VERY good! But as Tom says on the heavy spinning and casting rods you will need a lot of pennies to deflect them properly. What I do is pre-bag cents in ziplock bags in varying amounts. I have bags with 10, 20, 30 and 50 pennies and mark them for quantity on the outside. This is the same as you'd do with a regular beam scale where you have weights in varying sizes and amounts and just use combinations of what you need to get you close. Then you add individual pennies to another empty bag until you're on the money. This makes it much easier to count them up since you can just quickly add up the totals on the bags you've used and then add how many individual cents are there in the last bag.

I go by the manufacturers rating when possible, but sometimes I buy unmarked blanks and this is a great way to get you in the range they'll actually cast.

Date: December 16, 2005 12:31PM

Well Duh - while working on these formulas I dug out Dr. Hanneman's article in Volume 6 Issue #2 and right there on page 16 is the "Conversion of ERN to Casting Lure weight" !! It's amazing how I always find something new whenever I go back through my magazines.

However, the ERN for 40 pennies is 4.90 which falls just short of halfway between 1/4 oz and 5/16 oz. This still doesn't match up with the formulas I used for 40 pennies. Maybe my calculator needs new batteries. Thanks for all the help.

Date: December 16, 2005 05:25PM

Don't use that formula - use the one I gave above. You'll find it far more accurate for what you want to do.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: December 17, 2005 10:49AM

Oh Yeah! Had one of my fly rod customers who wanted a Rainshadow SWS blank built. He wanted it CCd just like his fly rods. Had to modify things some as the plastic bag trick doesn't work well with a couple hundred pennies in the sack. LOL, and you don't want to be near the rod when the sack fails either. Used one of my Shimano Curado reel sacks instead. 478 pennies later ---.

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 18, 2005 12:40AM

Here is an easier way? To estimate the casting weight of a fly rod built into a casting or spinning rod you take the fly line weight and 16 as the denominator, for example, an 8 wt., 8/16 = 1/2 ounce maximum casting weight for that rod. This works well enough for me to build a fly blank into a light or ultra-light spinning rod for the # line my customer wants to fish with. This may not be a correct answer for heavier lines but for me it works up to about 10 wt. very well. I haven't built on heavier fly blanks. So, C.C. the fly weight & use this method to proceed? It looks to me like it works up to a point. Ralph

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster