I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spey / OH DH rod guides?
Posted by: Sakari Siipilehto (---.ms.tut.fi)
Date: December 16, 2005 08:23AM

Hi.

I posted this earlier and didn't get a single reply. I'm counting on Bob (Meiser) here, hope this caughts his eye this time.

How many and what sizes of guides would you suggest on using on a 12'6" #9/10 fast action double hander? I mainly fish with shooting heads but this could see some short belly spey lines too. I'm going to put a tamer guide on it too (size?), or at least try with one attached with masking tape.

I'm thinking of following titanium framed ceramic fuji models to be used to guide the rod:
tip: TLST or TFST or TPST
+
guides: TSG or TLSG
+
tamer/strippers: TUNSG (only smaller one/ones) and TNSG or TLNSG or some other, perhaps V-framed TYSG (too high?) or TLVSG?

I'd be very happy to receive any suggestions.

Cheers,
Sakari

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spey / OH DH rod guides?
Posted by: Tim Hough (---.metro8.phila.k12.pa.us)
Date: December 16, 2005 10:57AM

I asked the same question (different weight rod). Meiser & Batson (I'm building on a Forecast) both suggested traditional snakes & ceramic strippers. They weren't specific on the type strippers, but I've used just about all the styles there are on various fly rods, from chrome boat guides to v-frame and I've never ran into trouble with any of them. Contact the manufacturer or browse fly sites, they will have suggested spacing charts for you.

Tight Lines,

Tim

Posted by: Bob Meiser (---.dhcp.mdfd.or.charter.com)
Date: December 16, 2005 11:24AM

Hi Sakari,

Generally on my fast recovery shooting head or short belly spey application rods I'll really minimize the numer of guides and oversize them quite a bit.

No need to manage the line on the rod with excess guides with these stripped -in line systems, as the belly will generally want to be beyond the tip top on deliveries, and you'll only be dealing with the running line within the guide system.

For a fast recovery progressive 12'6" <> Stiffer tipped rod: 10 guides total.

Strippers: 20 to 16

Runner Snakes: 6/6/6/5/5/54/4

Tip Top: Over size Pear Loop

If a slower recovey progressive, traditional action rod:

Add one or two (at the most) more runners to accomadate the additional flex in the fish fight and delivery....These generally towards the top third.

....But static test the blank....She'll tell you were she wants the guides.

Never use a tamer myself as the shooting heads will leave the rod with such extreme authority <> But I'm sure it would not hurt...};^)...!!!

Bob Meiser

Posted by: Sakari Siipilehto (---.adsl-net.finnetcom.net)
Date: December 16, 2005 01:35PM

Hi Meiz,

so you'd suggest using large snakes instead of titanium framed SiC guides? I guess what the weight difference is. Compared to NiTi (Recoil) it's quite big I'd guess but to regular hard chrome stainless steel not so big. If I go with wire type I'll use single foot recoils.

Why that big? I've got smaller ones on my 15' glx and they work well imho.

I'd be using the tamer to reduce tangles around the first stripper. That doesn't add to distance but it would add to repeatability.

Cheers,
Sakari

Posted by: Bob Meiser (---.dhcp.mdfd.or.charter.com)
Date: December 16, 2005 02:37PM

Hi Sakari,

Bottom line here is that what you've suggested to use for your rod will work very well indeed...No worries on that...};^)...!!!!

Chrome wire snakes, Titanium framed ceramics, small wire recoils, even single leg wires will all work...Why would they not ?

What I've suggested is a basic/standard guide system for the rod you mentioned, and is how I would do it generic out of the shop.

<> As I know from years of experiance: This system will fully allow the full spectrum of lines that my anglers may end up useing on their fresh water two handed rods.

I'll often build rods with a similar guide criteria that you described ....

<> If my clients want to front the additional expense to do so.... And if the IDs of the ceramics will not constrict line flow of the large diameter spey lines and their tip looped systems.

I'll often use full Titaniums if the rod is salt water targeted, and/or will use full ceramics for the entire guide system if the running lines (for the shooting heads) are braided mono/spectra <> As these will quickly saw through all wire guides.

All and all the rod will cast just fine with all of the above.....It's all a matter of personal preference, and to some degree: Specific application.

At 9/10 wt spey grains <> That's getting into as much as 650 grains....Or more depending on the line Mfgr.

That amount of grainage will rip whatever distance you'll want, or can line manage with a 12'6" rod.

You will have fun with this rod.

Bob Meiser

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster