I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Butt caps for tubular graphite handles
Posted by: Nick Dazer (204.200.228.---)
Date: December 14, 2005 06:03PM

Looking for suggestions on where I can lay my hands on some plastic butt caps/plugs for finishing tubular graphite handle material. I've seen cork options for finishing Tennessee handles, but I'd prefer plastic. Any help would be very appreciated.

-Nick Dazer
Portland, Oregon

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Butt caps for tubular graphite handles
Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: December 14, 2005 06:13PM

Rubber Fuji BRC caps, size 22. Just cut it down so it matches the OD ot the tube. for the 15mm tubing this butt cap it too big, so is teh 19. For the largest tubing, it may be too small.

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 14, 2005 06:36PM

I was wondering that myself, and was thinking about trying the end caps used in bicycle, or maybe even motorcycle, handlebars. Havent done it yet, just a thought.

Posted by: Nick Dazer (204.200.228.---)
Date: December 14, 2005 07:02PM

I know that such animals exist, because there are production companies making trolling/plug rods with these handles and which are finished with plastic butt caps (WW Grigg and Lamiglas are 2 that come to mind). I just don't know where to get them retail.

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.lamiglas.com)
Date: December 14, 2005 08:06PM

We are having the eva butt caps and also the eva pieces that fit at the reel seat made for us. You should be able to order these through any of our regular dealers. Just tell them to contact me about them.

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 14, 2005 09:02PM

I have seen a couple of rods built with those graphite tube style handles accsented with wood rings and butt caps.
They really popped!!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Levi Farster (---.essex1.com)
Date: December 15, 2005 04:21AM

Goto japantackle.com, or search specialty tackle shop, or japanese tackle. japantackle has at the very bottom of the home page some listings under rod building. There is a very nice casting handle kit very similar in appearance to a "matrix" handle, with the very endcaps you are looking for. Levi

Posted by: Michael Sledden (208.21.98.---)
Date: December 15, 2005 07:17AM

I am just finishing a rod with a carbon fiber handle, and I used Corian and turned an endcap for it. I use a hole saw and cut out rings from the sheets of Corian I have and then I take the drill out of the hole saw and cut out just a disk. I found a glue from Woodcraft that is meant for solid surface materials and glue up the pieces on the end of a mandrel and then clamp them till the glue dries. With using a 3-jaw chuck on my lathe, I can pass the mandrel all the way through and have just enough of it sticking out to turn the material. I will use the tailstock for roughing out the endcap, then pull it away to finish it off. Then with sand paper and then micro sanding sheets, it polishes up very nice. Makes for a very durable endcap. Also since the material is dense and a bit heavy, it can be used if you want to try and balance the rod some. You just need to vary the length to control how much weight is being added.

Here is a picture of the butt cap I made

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2005 11:19AM by Mike Sledden.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.242.174.121.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: December 15, 2005 11:39AM

I've just been using the Forecast EVABC20 EVA butts. Fast, easy, looks nice and less than a buck a piece.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster