I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Once you have decided to shape your own cork handle how do you proceed?
Posted by: Frantz BUCHOT (---.w86-197.abo.wanadoo.fr)
Date: December 14, 2005 12:07PM

Once you have decided to shape your own cork handle how do you proceed?

I know that you can shape it directly on the blank or on another support, I know also that you have to consider a handle of 13 minimum cork rings and that you can use whether a drill or a lathe BUT what I totally ignore is the way you deal with the wood insert (at the top) !!
Do you add them till the beginning so as to shape them at the same time than the cork rings?
Do you coat them after?

I saw a lot of nice handles in the photos gallery with some wood insert in it, needless to say that as far as the “middle handle inserts” are concerned I already have the answer but I was wondering what about the “top” ones?

Frantz

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Once you have decided to shape your own cork handle how do you proceed?
Posted by: Ken Finch (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 14, 2005 12:20PM

Rod Building Guide has a great chapter on how to build and turn your own cork handles.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: December 14, 2005 12:44PM

Many of the fly rod handles that you see in the photo section with the wood piece in front were bought that way. Look at the ones in the Mud Hole Tackle site. However, if you must make your own, I would first make the wooden piece and then turn or sand the cork piece to fit the wooden piece. Since wood is much harder to turn than cork, you run the risk of over sanding the cork.

Posted by: Frantz BUCHOT (---.w86-197.abo.wanadoo.fr)
Date: December 14, 2005 01:26PM

Ken ,

I have two books here one from Skip Morris and the other one from L.A. Garcia, both deal with Rod Building and both are very clear regarding how to shape a cork handle BUT as I said none of them suggest when it comes to wood insert, that's why I am asking.
Ellis it makes sense to start first with the wooden piece but I was afraid not to be able to fix it perfectly on the cork after.

I will give a look at Mudhole Tackle site.

Posted by: James Mello (---.haydrian.com)
Date: December 14, 2005 05:19PM

Fitting the cork shouldn't be too hard. The deal is to go slow and take your time. By the time you get to within a 1/10" or so, you really shouldn't be applying too much pressure, or using sand paper coarser than 320 or 400 grit. Just have a good set of calipers (or use your "touch" to feel the handle), and to take your time. Oh yeah.... a bit of masking tape on the wood isn't a bad idea either.

-- Cheers
-- James

Posted by: Frantz BUCHOT (---.w86-193.abo.wanadoo.fr)
Date: December 15, 2005 03:28AM

Thanks James

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.north-highland.com)
Date: December 15, 2005 05:04PM

I glue all the rings, cork and wood, together and turn down as one piece. I use a sanding block and take my time to turn to true round and concentric before I start shaping. When shaping I also use a sanding block as I progressively go up in grit. If I'm targeting a shape with indentions I will sometime use wood dowel as the "block". When I get very, very close I will use a strip of paper torn to a size I need to work within the shape (not very clear explanation). Using blocks, taking your time ( I turn the lathe off and hand turn it a few times to make sure everything is working out) and applying pressure to the right places will avoid scalloping and assure no ridges between rings. Practice will speed it up, but care is always necessary.

btw, my hardest problem with inlays and end pieces has always been getting the faces square. I cut them while the stock (turned down to 1.25")is turning on the lathe using a fine blade saw, but it always seems that one or more of the pieces will not be perfectly square. Most times I can sand them to pretty close, but then that can change their width. Any suggestions from you guys reading this thread of how to do the cuts and keep the faces square would be much appreciated.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster