I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What's the best way to write on your blank?
Posted by: david harris (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: December 13, 2005 10:37PM

What is a good technique to put your signature or rod name on your blanks? I need some help. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What's the best way to write on your blank?
Posted by: Leon Mack (---.san.res.rr.com)
Date: December 13, 2005 10:53PM

David: I gave up and ordered waterslide decals from Decal Connection. They can make a decal from you signature too. My first rod I tried writing but for my second, and future, rods I used what I got from them. The results were like amateur to professional. The difference is profound. I have seen some rods that were hand written and looked great but I could not get similar results with my hand.

Posted by: Tom Nair (---.ptldor.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 13, 2005 11:03PM

Get a Sanford uniball gel available at Michaels. Get the ball rolling on a piece of paper. Just write what you want at a speed that works for you. I f you make a mistake just rub off with alcohol. Next step is to spray on some krylon fix a tiff. This step may not be needed, I am still testing this. Make sure you cover all your lettering with quick sprays. Now you can finish with your favorite rod finish. Remember to let the lettering dry for 15 minutes as well as the fix a tiff. It is pretty easy. Put some cardboard or whatever on the ends of the lettering area to prevent overspray. If you screw it all up you can sand everything down and do it again. Just relax and have fun. Tom

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: December 14, 2005 07:30AM

I recently switched from gel pens to a rapidograph technical pen with white ink. This is now my preferred method.

Posted by: Ralph Ratliff (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 14, 2005 07:38AM

My latest effort was to make a V grove in a piece of plywood so the blank is held steady on the same plane as my pen. This helped me.

rhr

Posted by: Mike Naylor (---.state.md.us)
Date: December 14, 2005 08:42AM

I write on blank waterslide decals placed on top of lined paper (so I can see the lines). Then I transfer the decal onto the blank. It's so much easier to be neat writing on a flat surface... I just use scraps of waterslide decal sheets I've ordered from Decal Connection over the years.

Posted by: Lou Perez (---.nyc2.dsl.speakeasy.net)
Date: December 14, 2005 09:57AM

I use Winsor and Newton silver ink and Sanford steel nib pens. The pens cost a few bucks for one holder and 2-3 tips, and the inks cost less than $5.00 for a small bottle. I've used the same one for the last 4 years. These inks come in a myriad of colors and can be cleaned up with water. The best part is that they dry in a matter of minutes (3-5 min.) and can be finished directly over with flex coat. They are available at Pearl paint, but I'm sure a quick google search would bring up other suppliers.

As for the actual writing, I just take the butt section and carefully place it on the table. The grip and the end of the section keep the wraps from touching the table preventing them from getting ruined. Then I just write as if I was writing on a piece of paper..........and it makes a huge difference to have the blank at a comfortable natural writing level. I used to keep the blank in my rod supports and would stack some books as a hand support, but the blank on the table works infinitely better.

Good Luck.

Lou

Posted by: Grant Darby (169.204.109.---)
Date: December 14, 2005 11:55AM

Well...if your handwriting needs work, then decals are the way to go. I sometimes use the decal of my logo, but more often than not, I write the name and blank info with a gel pen. Found a package of 5 metallic pens, thick point at one end and fine point at the other. I had trouble finding a gel with a fine enough tip for those little letters and numbers and the set from W..M... was just what the doctor ordered. 5 metallic colors to augment trim bands and butt wrap colors. I've found that they dry overnight and need no sealer prior to applying finish. Works for me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster