I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

spey rod advice needed
Posted by: John Niebergall (---.ptldor.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 13, 2005 10:26PM

I am looking for a spey rod to fish the middle of my favorite lake. I think I want a 5/6 wt. rod blank to build on. Any suggestion on where to get such an animal? Do I need a special reel and line for such a rod? Thanks for your help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: spey rod advice needed
Posted by: John Dow (---.245.155.108.Dial1.Stamford1.Level3.net)
Date: December 13, 2005 10:44PM

John , I started to dabble with spey rods and casting last summer , it's quite a different ball game from standard fly casting ( in my oppinion ) . You do need a different line , and a lot of time to practice casting . There are a few different sites on spey casting , non of which I book marked . As far as advice on a rod / blank , Bob Meiser is the king of the hill , and well respected builder in that field . His site is on the left of the page. I had the privledge of speaking with Bob over the phone last summer, and he was very helpfull in giving me advice on a blank and set-up for a rod for my perticular application . Bob is a great guy to talk to , I wish I could have picked his brain for hours . Simon Gawesworth has a book , Spey Casting, by Stackpole books which is a great text description of the different casting strokes and presentations . The book is loaded with great photos and illustrations of the do's and don'ts of csating and fishing . You'll have to do some digging to get all the info you need , it is quite an interesting style of fishing , and I think you will find it a whole new look on throwing a fly . Have fun , John

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Tim Hough (71.224.88.---)
Date: December 13, 2005 10:44PM

The Forecast blanks will fit the bill without breaking the bank. I'm working on a 7/8 weight. Lots of sponsors carry them, some as kits with everything you need. Rob Meiser is a real guru on this stuff & can answer your questions. Also, the Batson folks (Forecast's makers) are extreamly helpful with questions. You will need a Spey line designed for the casting techniques and a reel big enough to hold all the line & some backing.

Have fun,

Tim

Posted by: Lynn Leary (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 14, 2005 10:16AM

You might want to look at Mudhole's new catalog. They list some SCIV and SCIII series spey blanks from St. Croix as well as some from Sage. They are all more expensive than the Forcast double handers from Batson though. I got one of the Forcast spey blanks from FishSticks4U a few months ago and it is just a super blank. It has a somewhat faster action than one of the Cascade Composit's speys that I got from Mudhole but those are probably sold out by now. Might be worth a call to them if you are interested but regardless, the Forcast's are a great buy for both the quality and the price.
I wonder if anybody here has tried the Burkheimer speys. Lamar Reel Seats is a dealer for Burkheimer but he doesn't list them as a stocking item and considering the price, I just wonder if anyone has tried them and would say that they are worth the money.
Maybe Dan Craft will offer spey blanks in the future. Imagine, a 15 foot long fast taper "rocket launcher". Sorry, just dreaming!
Good Luck

Posted by: Bob Meiser (---.dhcp.mdfd.or.charter.com)
Date: December 14, 2005 01:37PM

Hi John,

Could you share your thoughts a bit more about why your considering a spey rod for your lake fishing ?

Bob Meiser

Posted by: Robert Box (---.adt.com)
Date: December 15, 2005 11:03AM

I built a 11'6" spey rod for use with standard WF6F line.
The length is perfect when sitting low in the water!
Using 2 hands all day is easier than one!

Send me an email if you want more info.
RB

Posted by: Bob Meiser (---.dhcp.mdfd.or.charter.com)
Date: December 15, 2005 02:46PM

Right On Robert....

The shorter 10'6" to 11'6" two handed rods are perfect for walled boats or kick boats.

That's what I was hoping to discuss...};^)...!!!

Bob Meiser

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster