I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

butt plug glue
Posted by: Dick Zrudsky (---.cphaze01.fl.comcast.net)
Date: December 13, 2005 02:31PM

Can anyone refer me to a good glue that will allow RUBBER butt plugs to stay attached? I have tried epoxy,contact cement, rubber glue. Many times they fall off after usage of about 3 to four months.

Thanks
Dcik Zrudsky

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: butt plug glue
Posted by: Lance Black (168.8.176.---)
Date: December 13, 2005 02:46PM

that is for a totally different forum. just kidding! i could not resist.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 13, 2005 03:16PM

This is really a tough task. When you try to glue up a joint with neoprene black rubber, graphite, cork, aluminum and who knows what else the challenge is huge. I am installing butt plugs through an aluminum butt cap and into the inside of a graphite blank and have the same problem as you have noted. The last four rods I have built I drilled a 3/16 hole in the post of the plug and inserted a hardwood dowell. I then cut the dowel off flush to the diameter of the inside of the blank so there will be contact of wood and graphite. I am thinking that this will allow the Rod Bond I use to bond the wood surface to the graphite ID of the blank.

Maybe one of the real glue sperts will give us the real solution!

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 13, 2005 03:20PM

Rod Bond!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IMO, If there is one indispensable product for a rod builder, it's got to be Rod Bond The key to getting a good bond is to get a "water break free" surface (See Glossary above!) Lightly scuff the inside of the butt cap first!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: joe lucas (65.118.17.---)
Date: December 13, 2005 05:35PM

the next time try building the butt up a little thicker where as the rubber will have to stretch to go on .

Date: December 13, 2005 05:54PM

Please take another look at the thread - the one I am referring to is not the typical female cap but a cap with a post - the butt plug is a neoprene black rubber cap with a post that sticks up into the end of the blank. Rod Bond will not bond tightly to the soft rubber. It is not a function of water break but the bonding agent. There ae certain things that Rod Bond will not stick to - mix it up on the bottom of a plastic container - when it dries you can peel it off. The only real way to deal with the neoprene is to vulcanize the joint for the rubber side. This is not the typical vinyl/rubber female cap that is causing the problem. In the hardware stores there are some rubber cements that stick to the rubber but are useless on the other side. If Ralph would see this post and tell us how to stick this joint for a permanent installation I really could use the help.

Gon Fishn

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 13, 2005 07:32PM

Oops!!! I thought he was referring to butt caps!

Mike

Posted by: Curtis Beers (---.225.204.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: December 14, 2005 07:11AM

PRC adhesive will most likely work. It is a two part pliable rubber compound used in aircraft assembly and repair. It is used for sealing fuel tanks and bonding windows to airframes.
It's similar to rod bond in terms of masticity only it remains pliable after cure.
It's a four to one ratio toxic brew, smells bad, works well.
My nickname for the stuff is rhino snot. It's nasty sticky stuff but once it sets it stays stuck to whatever you put it on. This includes but is not limited to all tooling to come in contact with it, hands, face, the steering wheel of your car, the family dog.....you get the idea.

Date: December 14, 2005 09:17AM

Thanks Cutis - can you give me a clue as to where to buy or a common product name? I am using a lot of the butt plugs as the end piece on Jesse's encapsulated pieces and have been having a devil of a time keeping something stuck. The inside of his piece is common PCV pipe.

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Mark Gibson (---.mmm.com)
Date: December 14, 2005 12:40PM

Curtis, Are you referring to the PRC black and tan putty?

Dick, Bill,

A couple other suggestions would be to try a high performance rubber and gasket adhesive such as the 3M 847 or 3M Super Weatherstrip adhesive. These types of high strength adhesives are designed to bond rubber and cork. They work well on most rubber types such as butyl, neoprene, SBR etc..... although EPDM types can present more of a challenge.

Auto stores, esp. the high end shops should carry these adhesives, but if you have trouble finding them shoot me a note and I might be able to help you out----> basstour "at" isd "dot" net

mark

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 14, 2005 03:41PM

I have read here on the forum that some of the guys and manufacturers are useing common RTV silicone for butt plugs on tip sections and tip over butt ferrule butt section sealer. You may try that.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Curtis Beers (---.225.204.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: December 15, 2005 08:01AM

With the knowledge that the inside of the piece to be attached is poly vinyl chloride My suggestion of PRC may not be accurate. About the only solvent or adhesive to bond with PVC related materials that I know of contain methylene chloride. I think it is easily obtained at hardware stores as PVC pipe cement. I do not know what its reactivity is with neoprene. I'm sorry to have perhaps led you astray.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster