I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Decorative wrapping and weaving
Posted by: Keith Neidhart (---.hot.res.rr.com)
Date: December 13, 2005 09:40AM

I spent over an hour yesterday admiring the work in the photos section of the site. All I can say is: Wow, you guys are incredible!

I want to know how you learned such great threadwork? Are there any books you can recommend, that will teach an eager but true beginner how to weave? I'm interested in artwork as well as letters/numbers in thread. I know it will take lots of time and practice but I'm young! I believe I have the patience to take this on, I just need some detailed instruction.

Many thanks,

Keith

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Decorative wrapping and weaving
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 13, 2005 09:43AM

Rodmaker contains this information. Check the online library for the complete index and look under thread topics. Those back issues will be the least expensive way for you to learn the "how-to."

The book, Custom Rod Thread Art also has instructions for weaving along with some patterns. Not sure how much it sells for these days. Check with some of the sponsors.

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 13, 2005 11:07AM

Keith; The articles in RodMaker magazine for weaving and CRTA for cross wraps will be a big help but you may also want to get a copy of Doc Ski's video or I guess CD now. It will give you step by step instruction on how to weave. After that feel free to E-Mail me or I am sure, Doc or any other weaver that frequents this board. We'll be happy to answer any of your questions. If you can you might want to come to the weaving seminars that I will give at the National Rod Builders Show in Charlotte. You can also ask a lot of questions there.

Weaving really isn't all that difficult once you understand the basics. Just takes a little practice.

Jim

Posted by: Randy Search (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 13, 2005 11:34AM

Keith,
And Jim is modest and not explaining his tool so I guess I will. My first couple of weaves were just simple name weaves using about 10 threads or so and double-stick tape. I bought Jim's Wonder Weaver and use it all the time. I think the most intricate pattern I've done involves about 90 threads. His tool came with a DVD and I bought Doc's DVD as well. If you watch both of those DVD's, you can easily start doing it. Jim's tool just makes it much easier (in my opinion). Randy.

Posted by: Warren Witkowski (---.nwlnnh.tds.net)
Date: December 13, 2005 01:13PM

Is there a DVD or video available on how to use the Wonder Weaver without buying the Wonder Weaver? I watched Doc Ski's video ( which was excellent!) and on that he uses tape to hold the threads. I emailed him a couple of questions on it and got a very quick response. In it he says he now uses a jig instead of the tape. How do you go from left to right and back again if using something like the Wonder Weaver or a weaving loom like Mud Hole has?

Thank you.

Warren.

Posted by: Randy Search (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 13, 2005 03:59PM

Warren,
If you go to Renzetti (sponsor on the left) they sell the DVD alone very cheap. Randy,

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster