I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide spacing/ How does this look?
Posted by: Brian Sisti (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 10, 2005 03:40PM

Wanted to get opinions before I wrap it. Thats about the max load that would be put on the rod. I think I got it right but havent made too many stand up rods.

[img265.imageshack.us]

[img265.imageshack.us]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide spacing/ How does this look?
Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.137.---)
Date: December 10, 2005 08:20PM

Is that rod 5 1/2' or 6'? Looking real close it appears you 'might' want to add one more guide and move the first roller an inch or so closer to the tip. The butt guide looks good in my opinion. What pound test blank is that and how much weight is hanging off of it?

Also is that Duel a 6/0?

Jay

Posted by: Randy Search (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 10, 2005 08:35PM

Brian,
The pictures are a bit deceiving (in my opinion). In the top photo I agree with Jay that it appears as though the roller closest to the tip could be moved a tad up (towards the tip). But the second photo looking down has the guides being right on. Not sure if it's the photos or the way the rod is being loaded. Or maybe my eyes...The "striper" is a nice touch as well. Randy.

Date: December 10, 2005 09:17PM

Jay Lancaster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is that rod 5 1/2' or 6'? Looking real close it
> appears you 'might' want to add one more guide and
> move the first roller an inch or so closer to the
> tip. The butt guide looks good in my opinion.
> What pound test blank is that and how much weight
> is hanging off of it?
>
> Also is that Duel a 6/0?
>
> Jay

Its a seeker CTSF55 rated for 5'6" 60lb test. The weight is 25lbs. I know its a little hard to tell from the photos( I tried to show it at different angles). I thought I might need to move the roller closest to the tip, closer to the tip, but it doesnt really change how the line sits much.
Its a Duel 4/0w

Thanks

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.clis.com.136.174.12.in-addr.arpa)
Date: December 11, 2005 09:55AM

Randy is right. The second picture looks better at the tip. Most 5 1/2' rods in this class will use the number of guides you already have. Twenty-five pounds is probably good weight also (especially if it is being used as 60# class). That is certainly on the upper end of what it will see with 60#...maybe a tad more at times. Looks good to me. You also have good clearance at the forward grip.

Those CTSF's are nice aren't they?

Jay

Date: December 11, 2005 12:34PM

Jay Lancaster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> Those CTSF's are nice aren't they?
>
> Jay

Yea very nice! This ones for my friend, I am about to buy one for myself. Pretty light too compared to the all E-glass models. Cant wait to catch a fish on it.

Posted by: Bill Ewing (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 13, 2005 10:26AM

From looking at the pic the guide spacing looks ok, but
it also looks like you could add another guide on the blank.
It almost looks like your first two guides near the tip are on the border
of having flat spots on the blank. I would try to add another guide and
move the fourth guide down some more to accomodate the additional
guide. My 2cents. Love that static setup.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster