I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

RX7+ vs. SigV
Posted by: Robert Miller (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: December 08, 2005 06:47PM

How would you guys compare Rainshadow RX7+ and Dan Craft SigV in all ellements of fly fishing for trout. In a 9 foot, 4 weight

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: RX7+ vs. SigV
Posted by: Keith Tymchuk (198.237.218.---)
Date: December 08, 2005 07:00PM

Not quite the same thing.....but I have a green Rainshadow RX7 8 ft 4 wt. A nice blank that I quite like! My next project will be to rewrap it......used Spar Varnish on it...will try Flex Coat high build this time. Anyway...makes a very nice rod. (I've not built a rod on a Rainshadow or Forecast blank that I did not like.....The old 4 pc 7'6 4 wt Forecast...which they practically gave away was really a nice blank. I built two. Gave one as a gift...)

But in my humble opinion.....the 8'4 4 wt Sig V that I have is head and shoulders better than the RX7....Well...better than anything! Lighter, more responsive...Thinks for me. Very VERY special!

There is a 8'9 4 wt, too. I've not cast that one. Some people absolutely love it..... Some people think it might be better with a 5 wt line....and then they love it!

If you're not married to the 9 ft length.....I highly (well...higher than that!) recommend the 8'4 4 wt! Terrific...

Keith

Posted by: Robert Miller (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: December 09, 2005 01:36AM

Thanks for the great input Keith!!!

Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: December 09, 2005 09:01AM

Haven't cast a RX7+ yet,but I have a 8ft9 4wt SIG V and it is phenominal.It's extremely crisp and recovers about as fast as anything out there,at ANY price.I prefer a 4wt line for most situations,but it can certainly handle a 5wt well.It's incredibly light and crisp though,so if you do fish it as a 5wt it will certainly be one of the lightest 5wts you have ever fished.

This is one blank that I can't recommend enough.It's definitely a high performance blank and offers INCREDIBLE bang for the buck.

I don't have the 8ft4 3/4 yet,but plan on getting it soon,LOL.Generally I prefer much slower action,low power blanks that bend deeply with even a small fish on,for small stream work,so I'm not sure how the SIG V will feel to me compared to my current favs(I'm sure it will be outstanding though) for this kind of fishing.I love rods like the Scott G,Winston IM6/WT,and Diamondback Classic Trout for small stream work as even a small fish puts a great bend in them,yet they don't feel like a noodle.They seem to cast so smoothly,with so little effort,and at such a relaxed rythym...The 8ft 4wt Scott G I have is hands down the sweetest rod I have ever had in my hands.It is "velvety smooth",and feather light.

Posted by: Jim Benenson (164.64.146.---)
Date: December 09, 2005 11:36AM

When I built my first Dan Craft rod, I asked him personally what blank he recommended for Western trout fishing, both drys and nymphs. He recommended the 8'9" 4-wt. I and others around here, especially guides, rave over the rod. You cannot go wrong choosing this blank! I don't think that Dan would hesitate to answer any of your questions. He is a very nice guy.

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.155.12.119.Dial1.Baltimore1.Level3.net)
Date: December 09, 2005 04:53PM

I've fished lots of RX7s and lots of SigVs. They are not similar. RX7 is heavier, more durable, and not as sensitive as SigV. RX7 is a good rod or I would not have built so many but the SigV is a very responsive, performance rod. It is thin-walled and won't take abuse or mishandling but for the angler that takes care of his gear, it is a step up in crispness and performance. That's my opinion of course. Some people think bamboo is the best performance, but those aren't folks who value lightness and crispness. Depends what you like.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster