I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How many hours does it take you to build a simple fly rod?
Posted by: Lance Black (168.8.176.---)
Date: December 08, 2005 01:12PM

say 5 wt 9' graphite

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How many hours does it take you to build a simple fly rod?
Posted by: Tim Hough (---.metro8.phila.k12.pa.us)
Date: December 08, 2005 01:47PM

When I was wrapping rods for a production house (one of our sponsors), I could do 14-15 rods in an 8 hour day. This did not include epoxy on the wraps and only doing one color with no CP. We had all the production equipment necessary for large scale production however: machines to ream cork grips to size, stations to glue up reel seats, grind guide feet and find spines. We used charts to measure guide spacing, marking 5-6 rods of same length/weight at a time, glued up all the seats and cork at once, then once the seats were on solid (5 min epoxy for them, Rodbond for cork) used powered wrapping machines and bulk thread spools. For myself? It can take a week to ten days if I'm moving fast because I have a job teaching and papers to grade, home chores to do, bedtime stories to read...

Tim

Posted by: Chris Richer (---.parl.gc.ca)
Date: December 08, 2005 01:59PM

This discussion will help

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2005 02:01PM by Chris Richer.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 08, 2005 02:01PM

Very difficult question to answer!! Depends on the quality that you want to put in to it. You could use preformed handles, generic guide placement charts, no embellishments, etc and probably throw one together in a few hours. You can do it right with static testing and test casting to get the ultimate performance. Custom make your grip to accommodate the user's hand size/preference, etc as well as being esthetically pleasing and do many other things that set apart a custom rod and make it superior to one that can be purchased at a store.
Like Tim, I have taken weeks or more to build a rod.

I'm curious to see the replies to this post.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 08, 2005 02:15PM

I'm working on one now as time permits ( I have others that have to get done before Christmas) that will have 90 hours or more just in the weave. It will take another 3 or 4 months to complete.

Posted by: Jim Benenson (164.64.146.---)
Date: December 08, 2005 03:39PM

I like to build intelligent fly rods. They easily outfish the simple ones. 8^)

Posted by: Greg Vogel (---.stat.centurytel.net)
Date: December 08, 2005 03:56PM

Like the other guys say, it depends on what you and your rod recipient want but here is what I can come up with on the fly and what I tell my customers for a flyrod with no embellishments on it. Which is what so many fly guys want.

Clean the blank - 10 min
Fit and glue reel seat - 1 hr
Ream Cork rings - 30 min
Fit and glue rings - 1 hr
Shape handle to users desires - 2 hr
Figuring guide placement and test casting - 1hr 30 min
Wrap guides on rod - 2 hr
Coat guide wraps X3 - 1 hr 30 min
Polish rod - 30 min

So I probably have about 10 hrs of "Hands on" time in a fly rod. Granted this is off the top of my head and may be different depending on the rod and components. I may be kind of slow but I do not do it for mass production and I wrap all my guides by hand - no power. I turn all my handles from rings and I do take my time with everything. I always go by the saying - "If you want it bad, you will get it bad". If someone wants a weave or cross wrap, that just adds more time. If you want to do a nice one just take your time and do it right and it will turn out great. Hope this helps.
Greg

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.dab.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 08, 2005 04:22PM

Depends. If the seat and grip are preformed and all I have to do is assemble the rod, figure the guide spacing and wrap and finish it, then I can easily do it in one single day. If I have to make the seat insert and turn and shape the cork grip then it's going to be at least two days. But I rarely work straight through on a rod anyway. Most times I work a couple hours in the evenings and get one done over a week or two.

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.155.12.119.Dial1.Baltimore1.Level3.net)
Date: December 09, 2005 04:47PM

Simple fly rod, single color wraps, pre-formed cork grips, reel seat insert purchased not turned myself.....4 hours.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster