I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How many tie flys as well as build rods?
Posted by: Lance Black (168.8.176.---)
Date: December 08, 2005 09:32AM

It seems to me that Rodbuilding was the second hobby for most after learning how to tie flies. Also will anyone speak to the quote i have heard several times on the internet(not this forum as far as i know) that if you can tie a simple fly you can build a great rod????

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How many tie flys as well as build rods?
Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: December 08, 2005 09:54AM

I've been tieing for sixty years and building for six. I believe that developing the skills for either craft enhances ones ability at the other.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: December 08, 2005 10:03AM

Been building rods for near 25 years and tied flies shortly somewhere in the middle of that time for about 3 years. I sure agree with Stan's statement; they do complement each other.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Keith Tymchuk (198.237.218.---)
Date: December 08, 2005 10:27AM

I have tied flies for 8 or 9 years. Built rods for 4 yrs or so. I'm sure I wouldn't have started building if I hadn't started tieing.....and I only did that because my brother bought me a kit for Christmas. When I received the fly tieing kit I had to start fly fishing...then it is a logical step to building your own rods.

It is all his fault!

Keith

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: December 08, 2005 10:38AM

I tied some before I got into building. But, now I am so addicted to building that I basically gave up tying and buy them for $5 a dozen on @#$%&. That way I get to spend all my free time building or fishing. I should give up building so I can spend ALL my free time fishing, but the addiction has got me good.

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.north-highland.com)
Date: December 08, 2005 10:43AM

I started fly fishing about 40 years ago, tying some 20 years ago, building my own leaders about the same time and rod building about 5 or so years ago. imo, it all adds to my enjoyment of the culminating moment of catching a nice fish caught on a fly I tied specifically for the stream/water conditions, etc, attached with a leader designed to "optimize" the presentation (and land the fish), and all cast and controlled by a rod I built to be the prime component in the "system" all coming together. The time spent in the shop leading up to the moment and the thrill of the moment itself can't get much better in my opinion.

Posted by: LARRY PIRRONE (---.ontrca.adelphia.net)
Date: December 08, 2005 10:48AM

i have found that i can only do justice to one obsession at a time.

Posted by: Trevor Doylend (---.gv.shawcable.net)
Date: December 08, 2005 11:26AM

when I tie flys I use many colour combos, I can figure out what colour would look good on a rod, as well as creating a new fly.It's lots of fun. T

Posted by: Jim Benenson (164.64.146.---)
Date: December 08, 2005 11:28AM

I tie flys for myself and my friends, and have been doing so for most of my 62 years of life. I tie flies for the same reason that I build rods: 1) I enjoy it, 2) I take more care than volume tiers/builders, 3) I can experiment to my heart's content, and 4) I believe that what I produce is really superior to what is available on the mass market.. My friends and customers believe so also.

Posted by: Jim Smith (---.aep.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 08, 2005 01:36PM

I started back to fly fishing about nine years ago and started tying my own flies almost immediately. I finally got into building rods about five years ago. I find tying more relaxing but I enjoy both tremendously.

Jim Smith

Posted by: Tim Hough (---.metro8.phila.k12.pa.us)
Date: December 08, 2005 01:57PM

I started building rods first, then learned how to tie flies. My Trout Unlimited chapter sells flies for a buck a piece...expert ties too, so they were always affordable but a new rod, well...Anyway, I don't tie everything, mostly bass bugs, streamers and the like, I still buy most of my dries 'cause those TU guys are just so good and the price is just so right.

Tim

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: December 08, 2005 08:36PM

I started tying rods and wrapping flies about 37 years ago. I cannot recall what came first the chicken or the egg and I myself really don't care because I have enjoyed both these oh so many years. About 5 years ago I passed these hobbies onto my son who is now 18. I am thrilled every so often to come home and find him tying flies instead of school, friends, fishing, GIRLS, sleeping,eating, or just being a teenager ( the order varies widely depending upon the phase of the moon, or weather he got out of the left or right side of the bed ). He still askes his dad to wrap his rods for him even though he can do it himself I will never say no, but when it comes to cutting his meat and hook and handing, ( both of which stopped by the time he turned six and started out fishing and out eating me) I have to draw the line somewhere.

Happy Holidays

Scott

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.226.---)
Date: December 09, 2005 06:24PM

Learned to tie early on, then started building after a couple of years. Like to fish my own rods and flies. I don't see a lot of cross-over skills, though. Don

Posted by: Rob Matarazzo (---.nycmny83.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: December 09, 2005 09:15PM

I've been doing both for a long time but starting building rods first. And now I've been learning to build surf plugs. Will it ever end!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster