I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Dented Cork
Posted by: Marc Schwitters (64.140.60.---)
Date: December 06, 2005 09:38AM

Hello,
I completed my first Wonder Weaver weave last night and although the weave turned out well I ran into another problem. I attempted to pad the rod where the screws from weaver came in contact with the cork grip I built but I still managed to put three nice dents in the cork. I tried putting ice on the dents which helped a little but it is still quite noticable. The rod is a X-mas gift for my Dad and I am under the gun time wise as it is (I have two young kids, any time I can work on my rods is a blessing). I cant imagine trying to cut off the grip and starting over at this point. Does anyone have any idea's as to how I can lift and smooth over the dents?

Thanks in advance,

Marc

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dented Cork
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 06, 2005 09:49AM

If they are in a concentric pattern - try this. Go to the hardware store and purchase three or four very small tapered cork plugs. They usually are in a cabinet with rubber and wooden plugs. These things are available down to 1/8 inch. Take a drill and carefully tap a hole in the cork where the dents are and use Rod Bond to seal them in place. Sand an buff to take to same OD as original. Stain them a different color than the origingal cork piece and tell Pop that you worked extra on the grip to get the customized pattern.

Gon

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 06, 2005 09:54AM

Marc, even though I've never tried it with cork, we use to remove dents in gun stocks with steam. You can try it by wrapping a damp cloth around the grip and apply an iron to the areas. It removes dents in wood!

Hope this helps.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an1.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: December 06, 2005 10:54AM

Have not had to do it Yet ? but possibly holding the cork over a tea kettle and letting the steam hit the ring may do it

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.114.210.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: December 06, 2005 11:13AM

i haven't had to deal with this yet, but isn't submersing corks from wine/champagne bottles in hot water the typical procedure for reconstituting the cork's shape? might work if they're really just dents. it would probably loosen the adhesive you used on the reel seat hardware so allow it to dry again without much movement. if they're punctures, maybe bill #1's uniquely creative suggetsion would be the path. good luck.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Lynn Huffman (24.199.174.---)
Date: December 06, 2005 11:35AM

Marc,
Bill's steaming tea kettle will definitely work. It takes some time, but I've used the method several times.

LH Custom Rods

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.a.001.gct.iprimus.net.au)
Date: December 07, 2005 12:14AM

Marc,

Take a wet cloth and your wifes iron. Put the iron on hot as possible, place the wet cloth on the area of dented cork, place iron on top of the cork checking every few minutes and the dents should nearly if not completely come out.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster