I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Another New Guy
Posted by: Tom Grahm (---.parker.az.npgco.com)
Date: December 05, 2005 01:06PM

Hello to all. I recently made the decision to try building my own fishing rods. I do quite a bit of fishing 3-4 time a week (Retired) mostly Bass. There must be some books or DVD I can get, to give me an idea on how to get started. I own 1 custom wrap rod, built by a friend of mine, who has passed. It is a beauty thats too good looking to take in my boat. If anyone could pass along some info on getting started it would be a great help. This seems to be a great site for the Rodbuilders.
Also, I live 40 miles from nowhere, so everything will have to be mail order. Again, thanks for any info.

TG

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Another New Guy
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 05, 2005 01:35PM

The Flex Coat, "How We Do It" DVD is great for beginners. It will get you started on the right foot. Not at all expensive and will arm you with enough background information to get started building that first rod. Most any of the sponsors to the left will carry it.

Posted by: Lynn Huffman (24.199.174.---)
Date: December 05, 2005 01:45PM

Tom,
Welcome! I would recommend "Rod-Building Guide: Fly, Cast, Spin" by Tom Kirkman. This is probably the best book for a beginner. Over 100 color pictures, and clear explanations of each step in the process of building rods. Tom Kirkman is the owner of this website, one-man show at Rodmaker Magazine, the driving force behind the National Rodbuilder's Show in Charlotte, and an all around good guy. Tom has been building rods since 1977 and has contributed a tremendous amount to the craft of rodbuilding. The book is available from most of the sponsors to the left. Also, take time to read the FAQ's, the glossary, and some of the articles in the library.( buttons above) as these will answer many of your questions.

Lynn Huffman

Date: December 05, 2005 01:55PM

Thanks Tom and Lynn. I will get both the book, and the DVD. The DVD sound good. Like anything else new, I'm really looking forward to starting this hobby. Again, thanks for the help.

TG

Posted by: Randy Search (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 05, 2005 03:39PM

Tom,
Welcome and I see your from Parker (AZ). I've got a 2nd place in Havasu so I'm out there all the time. Just give a shout if I can be of any help to ya. Randy.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: December 05, 2005 04:22PM

SOME RESOURCES for GETTING STARTED in ROD-BUILDING:

Rod Building Guide, by Tom Kirkman $15
Step by Step instructions for crafting your own custom fishing rod. Building a spinning, casting, surf, fly or offshore rods, Rod Building Guide will explain the how and why in clear, concise text with nearly 100 full color photographs. 51 pages paperback.

THE NEW Advanced Custom Rod Building, by Dale P. Clemens $30
Dale Clemens has completely rewritten this new book (copyright 1978 – 1987). He continues to display his expertise in his discussion of methods for building every kind of rod-from ultra-light fly to surf and offshore trolling. Following detailed explanations and illustrations, rod builders can design, built, and embellish rods to suit their particular desires and needs. Hardcover, 320 pages. [CRTA, 1982.]

Step By Step Rod Building, by Flex Coat (FC) $7
Contains over 100 clear illustrations, charts and guide sizing plus step-by-step instructions on all phases of rod constructions. Some topics included are: designing your own custom rod, determining the spine of the rod blank, constructing cork handles, foam handle construction, installing the tip top, wrapping the guides, finishing the wraps and helpful tips for a professional finish. Great for both beginners and experienced rod builders. Softbound, 48 pages.

ROD-MAKER MAGAZINE, bi-monthly, $27 / (6 issues per 12 months).
[www.rodmakermagazine.com]. Order a subscription as soon as you think rod-building is for you. And as far as back issues go, order soon so you won't have to worry about back-issues running out. There simply is no other rod building magazine that can compare for quality and expertise with RMM.

Take a good look around right here at RBO. PLENTY of information at all levels of expertise. Between MudHole's On-Line tutorial and Tom Kirkman's "Rod-Building" book, and the FAQs & LIBRARY & GLOSSARY here at RBO, you have more than enough to get started. And the RBO SEARCH Engine has a database of over 29,000 different Message Threads, totaling more than 170,000 Replies. You are standing in the middle of the world's best repository and forum for rod-building information. All you gotta do is get busy and fill your creel. LOL, Cliff Hall, Gainesville, FL-USA+++

P.S. - If you get hooked on rod-building, RodMaker Magazine, and Dale Clemens' books and videos (like Doc Ski's) will prove very valuable in improving your knowledge of rod-building and your craftsmanship skills. A small price to pay for the return on your investment.

WARNING: Rod-building, and day-dreaming about it, can become habit-forming, and may be hazardous to other relationships. Participant discretion is advised.

P.S.S. - Do yourself a favor and go to the MudHole website and request a free copy of their 2005 Catalog. In the front is a 6-page PRIMER, "STEP-by-STEP ROD-BUILDING". It will keep it simple, and has clear illustrations. Order the Flex Coat Booklet "Step-by-Step Rod-Building" as your table-top reference if the MH-Primer is not enough. Tom Kirkman's book is the next level up in general reading. Then Dale Clemens' book "The NEW Advanced Custom Rod Building" is the most comprehensive reference book for general rod-building. Tom Kirkman's RodMaker Magazine is the only other thing that can top Kirkman's own book, or Clemens' book. There are some specialized rod-building books that are tops in their specialty, but this is just an introduction and not a literature review. And there are plenty of new Videos and DVDs to take us where our own rod-building skills have never gone before. Enjoy your own Rod-Trek. -Cliff Hall+++

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: December 05, 2005 04:24PM

SOME RESOURCES for GETTING STARTED in ROD-BUILDING:
WOOPS - DOUBLE POST - . -Cliff Hall+++

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2005 02:20AM by Cliff Hall.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 05, 2005 07:57PM

Now you guy's know that Tom would never fathom the thought of reccommending the "Must Have" book for todays new rodbuilder. His own creation mentioned above. in my opinion it is a "Must Have " for all rodbuilders, if not just to remind them of how it's supposed to be done. Although I have been admonished by him for dumb or inappropriate posts, I still respect and admire him for the impact he has made on this addictive craft. Although I haven't met him personally, His is the first hand I plan on shaking when I go to the Big Show for the first time in February!!

Bill in WV

Posted by: Fred Crum (---.accel.pas.earthlink.net)
Date: December 05, 2005 09:44PM

Tom,
Welcome to an addictive hobby. You can run but you can’t hide!!! This web site has been an inspiration to myself and others. Enjoy and keep building your knowledge and skills. And don’t be afraid to ask lots of questions, we all have them!!!

Fred Crum
Dixon, Ca.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 05, 2005 11:23PM

The only dumb question is one that is not asked! Especially when not "searched" first!!

Welcome to the club Tom Grahm !

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Date: December 06, 2005 03:27PM

Thanks to all the replied. I would guess, once I get either the DVD or the book the wheels will be set in motion. Like I said in my previous post, I'm really looking forward to this. Happens my wife told a few of her co-workers that I was interested in building my own fishing rods. Can you guess what their response was? "Can he do one for me, my husband, boyfriend, etc. All I would like to do is build some nice Bass rods. Well thanks for all the input. Randy, are there any Rod components shops that you know of ,in the Lake Havasu area? Thats the closest, 45+ mi. from here, Big River, CA

Date: December 06, 2005 03:28PM

Thanks to all that replied. I would guess, once I get either the DVD or the book the wheels will be set in motion. Like I said in my previous post, I'm really looking forward to this. Happens my wife told a few of her co-workers that I was interested in building my own fishing rods. Can you guess what their response was? "Can he do one for me, my husband, boyfriend, etc. All I would like to do is build some nice Bass rods. Well thanks for all the input. Randy, are there any Rod components shops that you know of ,in the Lake Havasu area? Thats the closest, 45+ mi. from here, Big River, CA

Posted by: Randy Search (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 06, 2005 05:19PM

Tom,
There are a couple "tackle" shops up there in Havasu but none (that I know of) that sell components. I get all my stuff online. You can email me at my personal address and I'll elaborate. Randy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster