I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

need help and suggestions
Posted by: Ken Blevins (---.ironoh.adelphia.net)
Date: December 04, 2005 05:19PM

As I start my second year of building, I feel that my wrapping technique is pretty good but my actual knowledge of rod building is way below average. When I started I was given a wrapper, guides, epoxy, etc and around 80 blanks and a couple of instructional tapes .The blanks ranged from 6 ft 2 piece to 7 ft one piece .None of the blanks had manufacture labels on them so just started picking out blanks and building them .I finished 13 rods last winter and of the 13 I used 6 daily. The ones I use everyday are light and sensitive and cast pretty good.
When I started, I used the Fuji guide system because I didn’t know any better and at the end of last winter’s building season I started spacing the guides under load conditions. These rods cast or seem to cast better than rods build earlier …This winter I plan on only building 5 or 6 rods and trying to educate my self on the characteristics of rods in general… I have read and looked at the charts provided on the net by different people in regard to rating rods but when I apply what I know [and see] to selection, I’m always disappointed in the final results [most times] .The rods are always a little weak on the power side. I use aconite or titanium guides as suggested by a sponsor [at left] to cut down on weight.[ ??]. Any suggestions for a dropshot, crank bait, flipping rod and a good all around worm rod??? 6-6 to 7 ft
Sorry about being so long winded
TIA
Ken Blevins

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: need help and suggestions
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 04, 2005 06:15PM

One thing that I would suggest is to scrap the FUJI Concept spacing system and go with the New Concept Guide System as outlined in the Library above. The Alconites are a very good guide choice for this system.

I'm sure that you will get advice on the other parts of your question from far more knowledgeable builders than myself

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: December 04, 2005 07:09PM

Hiya Ken - If you want some more and different views for spacing guides on a SPINNING Rod, then take a look at these recent Posts & Replies, and see if they help you refine your current methods and techniques.

How do I select guide sizes when ordering?
Posted by: Keith Neidhart Dec. 4, 2005 12:48PM
[www.rodbuilding.org]
Discusses actual guide sizes, offered by Mike Barkley, for a 6'6" fast taper, medium power rod, rated 8-15# line, and 3/16 - 5/8ths oz lures. Also Posted is an example of Guide Spacing Calculations (by Cliff Hall) for the same rod as MB's considerations, but using larger guides and incorporating the usual cluster of design constraints for the convergence of a good guide layout. -CMH.

Uplifted / angled reels
Rob Heaton ... Dec. 3, 2005 ... 03:47PM
[www.rodbuilding.org]
Discusses the Intersect Method and variations on that theme.
[My reply (Cliff Hall) will be continued and a new Post made later.]

Posted by: Ed Sabatini (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 04, 2005 07:31PM

"but my actual knowledge of rod building is way below average."

Reading this forum and the online library along and most importantly with a subscription to Rodmaker magazine will really put you on top of things. I don't consider myself a master rod builder, but my subscription means that very little is going on that I don't know about. I'm up to speed on all the modern techniques and have a ready reference source right here in a stack next to my rod bench. You aren't going to run across much that you can't find covered in Rodmaker.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 05, 2005 08:16PM

Amen to that Ed!!! Ken if you don't have Tom Kirkman's book get it!! I've been building / refurbishing for a year and IMHO Tom's is a MUST HAVE for new builders. It goes over every phase of rod construction in depth, with lots of pictures. It shows you how things should be done.

Bill in WV

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.114.145.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: December 05, 2005 09:27PM

funny. it seems even the newcomers (like myself) who read this board and get the magazine, though little experienced, seem to know more about current and efficient methods to rodbuilding than those with years and years of experience without benefit of these resources. or that's just my perception of it. each leaves a bit to be desired, even the book, but taken together, a vast source of info. don't sell yourself short. tom's concept on offering these resources creates a fourth element, the community.

sorry i couldn't offer much practical help. group hug time?

eric
fresno, ca.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster