I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Stupid Human Tricks
Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: December 03, 2005 05:22PM

1) Stop touching the pretty finish.....Even if it does look dry!- I do this WAY too often and since I don't use epoxy I can't claim it was the fumes.

2) Don't coat wraps immediately after getting a haircut- You don't want to know!

3) Don't Vaccuum in a room that has a rod drying in it- Even I can learn a new trick.

Hanging my head in shame, shaking it in disbelief, and reaching for the razorblade to cut it all off.

Sigh!

Derek

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Stupid Human Tricks
Posted by: rusty berrier (---.nclxtn.infoave.net)
Date: December 03, 2005 05:39PM

4. don't read labels without your glasses after a certain age-'"One Coat " does NOT mean the same as one part.
5.never let the cat in the shop while things are turning--slowly-irresistably--within leaping distance---trust me on this.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.riogrd01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 03, 2005 09:31PM

Rusty
I will second #5

Posted by: Wylie Wiggins (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: December 04, 2005 01:01AM

Great post Derek!
Certain age? I don't feel safe getting out of bed without my glasses on Rusty.

Tight wraps and lines,
Wylie

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dotnet.com)
Date: December 04, 2005 09:22AM

Derek,
When teaching rod building classes to "at risk" students don't let them put soda in the middle of the building table.
-
-
-
-

That way when there are four rods, built buy four different students, that have just had finish put on them, now on the dryers, the student won't reach under one of the rods to get his soda, getting the tacky epoxy finish of the rod stuck to his hair on the back of his head so that when he stands up the rod stays stuck to his head while he knocks two other rods off their dryers onto the floor (built by two other students) thereby starting a major brawl during which a plastic burnishing tool was considered a "deadly weapon." It he wasn't "at risk" before the brawl he was "at risk" with me when it ended.

And the list goes on.......................................

Buzz

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 04, 2005 09:33AM

# 1 is a classic that probably ALL builders will experience one way or the other.

#7....kind of like #5 but involves a certain dog....

#8...don't power wrap wearing fleece....static electricity and loose fibers aren't a good mix...might as well just flock the entire rod, similar results.

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: December 04, 2005 10:17AM

# 9----Don't turn the lathe with a 1/4 in mandrel sticking out of the chuck and spinning @3000 rpm on without the center in the other end. Centrifugal forces do really bad things when you do.

Scott

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 05, 2005 08:35PM

Agree with #5, cat hair seems to sink down into the finish.

#10 Make sure you have your rod that is drying secured somehow in the V notches of home made drier stands. For some reason they roll up the edge and fall out while you're sleeping.

Bill in WV

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster