I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Butterfly jigging rod
Posted by: Jim Colombo (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: December 03, 2005 11:03AM

Shimano is promoting a jigging technique called "Butterfly Jigging" (www.shimano.com) and they're proposing a certain type of rod (their TC4).
It appears to me that the action for this type of fishing should be in the fast to very fast range and need not be graphite.
Has anyone tried this type of jigging and if so what type of rod did you use? In fact, does anyone have any recommendations for blanks to fit this bill?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Butterfly jigging rod
Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.tampfl.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 03, 2005 11:59AM

This style of fishing originated mainly in Japan. I've got a few jigging rods from there, one of them a Shimano that I love. You really do want a graphite blank for this. You can use any sort of blank material, but the graphite is much more sensitive of course. More crisp on the action than fiberglas helps with hooksets. Plus the blanks tend to be lighter weight and more fun to use.

Mostly superbraid is used as it gives you a much thinner diameter letting you use lighter jigs and sink faster, as well as more sensitive.

I just built a jigging rod on the Lamiglas Tri-Flex Boat series blank, have to get back to you on the exact number. CGBT721LL I beleive, 15lb blank good for up to 30 lb power pro (per Lamiglas). I also have a heavier blank, but it won't be done for a couple of months as my stuff is relocating to Japan right now.

Phil

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 03, 2005 05:36PM

There's a post here, as well as on Noreast.com. Don't buy into the hype, I know for a fact in the North East regular jigs outfished the entire Butt jigging system hands down.

Posted by: Al Johnson (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 03, 2005 10:05PM

Dont buy the shimano ones. Too expensive and they are just copying all the jigs from the japan claiming they have something new. Check out river 2 sea knife and rock jigs. Much cheaper than shimano. Used them in Florida there wasnt any difference between the shimano ones.

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.centcom.mil)
Date: December 04, 2005 12:14AM

I'm not sure how much "hype" there is about this "system". I don't think its fair to say that they were copying the jigs from Japan. Shimano's a Japanese company. They simply introduced a version of something they have sold in Japan for years, and for the most part, is new to the U.S. It's a completely different style of fishing than anything else I've done, Shimano just happens to be the first company I've really noticed that's selling a rod/reel matched to that type of fishing in the U.S. I think all the advertising spent on the Butterfly system may actually help out custom rod guys, as people get introduced to this style of jigging in general, they'll probably want a custom rod to get the job done.

The jigs: up to personal preference. I'm not a big fan of Shimano's jigs although I've caught fish on them. I REALLY like the Yozuri Hydro-metal jigs, although they are a bit pricey, I've caught tons of fish on them. Grouper, AJ's, a 12lb hog snapper, triggerfish, ribbonfish tear them up in Japan, the list goes on and on. The sea knife jigs look pretty good too. Definitely check out the various options for jigs, Bass Pro has several models now that are fairly inexpensive.

I prefer a fast action rod, probably medium power. There's no right or wrong answers, buy a couple different types of jigs, find out what you like, and go from there. A lot of this stuff is personal preference. Different jigs do different things. Some of them are designed to flutter on the fall and induce hits (had lots of AJ's hit on the drop). Some are designed not to flutter, to sink straight down like a rock to get you deep quick and you have to give them action on the way up. Some are meant to be worked really quickly.

P.S. After reviewing prices on the butterfly jigs, I'd go with something else as well. The Yozuri's are great and 25% the price.

Tight lines.
Phil

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster