I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Trimming a ferrule
Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: December 03, 2005 10:00AM

I have a couple of 2pc 7ft6 3wt old model(teal blue)Forecast blanks that need to have the ferrules trimmed and I could use a touch of advice on which side to trim.I did this to a few blanks a year or two ago,but can't remember exactly what side I trimmed,LOL.

The first blank has an overlap of about 1 1/2"(about ideal I guess),while the other is about 2"(not too bad either).Both blanks have rod tip sections that are about 1/4" shorter than the butt section.

Both of the rods have a slight clicking in the ferrules when firmly put together and wiggled.They appear to be "fairly" good fitting,but when wiggled by hand on each side of the ferrule you can see there is some play between them(AKA - not a snug enough fit).

I have a dremel tool and last time I cut the blank with a cutting disc,which made a quick,clean cut.I just can't remember if I trimmed from the male end,or the female.I think it was the male end that I trimmed,but how do I determine exactly which is the side to cut?

I also have a 4pc thin walled 9ft 5wt Killwell blank that needs to be trimmed as well,on all ferrules.It has ferrules that all look like they fit together just right,and overlap 1 /2" on each,but you can hear them clicking ever so lightly at each joint no matter how snug I try to make them fit.What would be the way to attack(trim the ferrules) this rod as well?

Thanks all.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trimming a ferrule
Posted by: Ross Eedy (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: December 03, 2005 04:58PM

Tony I have gone through this also with one of Jacks kits. If you can see the actual movement, that means the male end must be shortened so it goes further into the female end. Wrap with masking tape, & using your dremal cut-off wheel remove 1/16'' at a time. Having just started building in Jan. , I never thought I'd be answering one of your questions. lol

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 03, 2005 05:02PM

Right, it depends on where the fit is deficient. If the fit is loose at the female end, then the male end needs to be trimmed. If the fit is loose at the male end (tight at the female end) then the female ferrule should be trimmed.

Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: December 04, 2005 09:27AM

Sorry guys,I must have had a total memory lapse or something last night,LOL.

I've trimmed a few of them in the past and remembered what to do about 5 minutes after posting the question,so I went ahead and did them last night.Should have edited out the question right away.

Feeling a little stupid now.....LOL.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster