I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Off topic, Fly tying vise
Posted by: Jay Lindholm (---.bois.qwest.net)
Date: December 01, 2005 10:01PM

I'm not much of a fly fisher (can't get the darn things to bite on a spinner!) but my son is starting to get into fly tying and I was looking for opinions on some good intermediate vises for him. Something in the 50-$100 range. I saw a Dan vise, is that any relation to Dan Craft?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Off topic, Fly tying vise
Posted by: William Colby (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 01, 2005 10:12PM

You can't go wrong with a Renzetti. It's a bit more money but will last a lifetime and he'll never have to upgrade. Go with the Traveler for about $125 and just get it over with. Buy it once and forget it.

Posted by: Christian Brink (---.dsl.aracnet.com)
Date: December 01, 2005 10:14PM

A little more money will get you the Renzetti Traveler Vice. They are a sponser.

I have used this vice for 5+ years and have nothing but great things to say about it. I prefer the Cam lock but the screw lock is ok.

Christian

Posted by: Jim Smith (---.aep.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 01, 2005 10:17PM

Jay,

As I'm sure you've discoved, there are a bunch of fly tying vises out there and making a selection can be daunting. Here is a link to an excellent article that compares many of the different makes and models in different price ranges. [www.flyfisherman.com] I hope that this information helps.

Good luck on your vise hunt.

Jim Smith

Posted by: vance corbett (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: December 01, 2005 10:45PM

Jay,

William and Christian have given you good advice. The Renzetti Traveller with a heavy base will cost you about $159. This vise is also available in a c-clamp model. My son started with a $10.00 cheapo (made in Pakistan) and got us both hooked on fly tying. I bought an HMH Spartan (another excellent vise) and he got the Renzetti for Christmas several years ago. I used the Renzetti several times and had to have one. I got mine last Christmas. If your son is interested in fly tying I recommend you fully support it. There are so many unkind and unsavory things for kids to get into nowadays, and fly tying sure isn't one of them. If he's interested in tying you should be really proud of him and nurture his interest. My son, now 17, has become an accomplished tyer (he's been invited to shows as a featured tyer). Get the cam lock version as Christian suggests.

Regards,

Vance

Posted by: Tom Nair (---.ptldor.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 01, 2005 11:10PM

If you want a less expensive but really good and dependable vise you can't go wrong with the Thompson model A. I use the pedestal mount and have been using it for years. They are probrobly $50.00 now. The vise has no frills but it always works and holds hooks well. Tom

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.sanarb01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2005 09:24AM

I've got an inexpensive one from Cabela's that good enough for nymphs and egg patterns. If I were going to start tying dry flies, I would have to get a Nor-Vice. Saw a demo of it at an Expo, a little expensive but relly unique.

Posted by: John Kepka (---.iad.untd.com)
Date: December 02, 2005 09:58AM

I would also suggest the renzetti traveler. The cam lock came out after I got mine--I wish I had the cam lock rather than the screw but it works fine. I like the weighted base but I also have the table vise.

Posted by: Mark Li (---.lvh.com)
Date: December 02, 2005 10:58AM

Renzetti Traveler or Dynaking Traveler.

Personally, I just bought an AK Best Vise (Mackenzie Co) used. Best vise I've ever used.

Mark Li

Posted by: Jim Benenson (164.64.146.---)
Date: December 02, 2005 12:18PM

IMHO, the best vice for the money is the BT's DanVise. It doesn't look too great, but it's an excellent vice for anybody except those who tie 100 dozen per year. I use it in my office almost daily (that's right folks) and can say that it compares favorably to my Renzetti 3000 Professional vice that I use at home (and costs four times as much). I think that your son would really enjoy it.

Here is a site that sells the DanVise for $79.95, with two reviews: [www.jsflyfishing.com] Many others sell it, perhaps one of our sponsors to the left.

Here is an excellent article on choosing a vice: www.flyfisherman.com/ftb/hwvise/index3.html

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: December 02, 2005 01:41PM

Last year I bought a Danvise. I wanted to upgrade from a Thompson to a full rotary vise. I am very pleased with it. Regardless of the vise you buy, be sure it is a rotary. It will make your son's flytying much easier.

Posted by: Terry Chiddy (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: December 02, 2005 06:30PM

I have had a few vises and recently aquired the Renzetti Traveller. By far the best vise I have used.

Posted by: John Dow (---.245.167.149.Dial1.Stamford1.Level3.net)
Date: December 02, 2005 08:22PM

If you are looking for a sponcor that sells vices , there are several , one of which is Hook and Hackle , who carries a bunch . I started with a thompson "A" , and now use an HMH Spartan , with 2 sets of jaws it's about $180 or so . The Thompson is $40 + change, great vice for a beginner . Have fun , nothing beats catching a fish on a rod you built , with a fly you tied from the feathers of game you harvested !! John

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Jim Crisci (---.dhcp.stbr.ga.charter.com)
Date: December 03, 2005 08:46AM

Jay,
In addition to the other good recommendations you've received, take a look at the Peak. I own one and am very pleased with it. Pricewise, it's between the Dan Vise and the Renzetti Traveller. Here's a link to some information: []

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: December 03, 2005 01:05PM

Check the Hook &b Hackle site, there are quite a few nice vises in there that would meet your needs. They more to the bottom of the page. Give them a good discription of what it needs to do and they'll set you up with the best value.

Posted by: Russ Osenbach (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: December 03, 2005 03:08PM

In addition to the Thompson Model A, Danvise, and Peak that have been mentioned, there are also quite a few very good vises Griffin makes that sell for between $35.00 and $100.00.

Although I tie on a Dyna King Baracuda, a beginning tyer doesn't need the features of the more expensive vises. All you need is a vise with good jaws that hold a hook well and the vises mentioned that sell for $100.00 or less all do that very well.

The one thing I'd caution you not to buy are the el cheapo imported vises because their jaws are awful and they don't hold up well at all.

Posted by: Jay Lindholm (---.region6.ang.af.mil)
Date: December 03, 2005 03:12PM

Thanks guys, I talked this over with the boss and she is leaning towards the Danvise and a workbench. I guess I'll go along with her, for now.

Posted by: Mikko Stenberg (---.kotopas.fi)
Date: December 05, 2005 05:03AM

Hi Jay!

You've had some good recommendations from the folks so I'd like to give you mine. I've tied flies for 15 years and enjoy tying flies from #8/0 pike monsters to #<20 tiny dries and from classic salmon flies to modern epoxy flies.

IMHO the two most important characteristics when it comes to a fly tying vise are that it holds the hooks well and the true rotary structure. Overall quality, jaw shape and quality, heavy and wide enough pedestal base, smooth rotation, a crank arm of some sort and a non cam locking mechanism are very important features as well. IME if these characteristics are ok you can't go much wrong.

Some five years ago I got two of the much recommended Dan Vises. I enjoyed tying with the vice but sold them both in the need of money. Regretted that later since I did not have a true rotary vice. The vice holds hooks very well and is highly funtional. Normally I do not like a cam type jaw locking mechanism but in this vice it seems to work surpricingly well. I pefer the two screws mechanism over the cam because I've found the screws mechanism to hold hooks better. The needed tension to hold a hook properly is IME better achieved and controlled with the screws type. The cam mechanism is prone to wearing because of it's basic structure and becoming unreliable. You'll understand this especially when you tie BIG flies. Nothing is more annoying than a hook that wont stay properly in the vice.

I also like the DV because it is a proper sized vice unlike the miniature "traveller" type vices. I like having alot of room between the jaws and the table so a bit longer stem is IMHO better. The vice looks like a toy or a space gun but it works - especially for the money. :) Heck just lately I bought myself a Dyna King Barracuda which is a brilliant "father to son" quality vice but I can not do anything with it that I could not do with the Dan Vice. ;) The lightness of the DV is also a bonus if one wants to take it on a trip. The only minus would come from the slitely questionable jaw quality. A few of my fly tying mates have the DVs and some them are showing some wearing in the jaws. Though I believe that the wearing can be avoided by paying some more attention to how one places hooks into the jaws. So I recommend you to buy the Dan Vice and a pedestal base for it. I'm sure you'll son will like tying flies with it.

Take care!

Master Tier,
Fly Tying World Champion,
-Mikko Stenberg-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2005 05:09AM by Mikko Stenberg.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster