I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

long, light blank in the salt
Posted by: dan ervin (152.34.179.---)
Date: December 01, 2005 08:56AM

I fish a lot in the surf in and sound in NC, throwing mostly artificials for reds, spanish, trout. I have a great rod that I built for throwing jigs and light baits, but I need a longer rod for throwing Mirrolures, stingsilvers, heavier (1/2 oz. plus) jigs, Top Dawgs... things that stretch my 7' rod too far. I was speaking with Andy Dear about the 8 or 81/2 Salmon/steelhead rods, but most of those are 2 piece. Rainshadow has a Musky rod that is 7'9" and seems like it would be ideal, but I have never used a musky rod for any building situations. Would one of these rods be better than the other for this application?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: long, light blank in the salt
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: December 01, 2005 09:06AM

Look no further, the Graphite USA Surf Assassin in either the light or medium version. Both 10' long, very, very light, very slim, fast action. You will have a hard time beating one of these for what you want to do. Do yourself a favor and take a look at one. You won't be disappointed.

These are two piece rods with offset ferrules. I think the butts are about 3' in length.

Posted by: Clyde Roberts (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 01, 2005 09:34AM

For an 8' rod, the Rainshadow IP 965 is great as well. I've used it hard this year and caught probably close to 75 red's on it and it's held up very well. It's good for mirror lures, grubs, and up to about 1.5 ounces. I fished it mostly with 1oz and bait this fall for the reds with a stradic 2000. It's got a very light tip and still lots of backbone to handle larger fish. I landed one red that was 36" with it. Looking forward to catching some more spec's with it as the season progresses, and hopefully a striper or two. I really can't say enough about this rod, it's just great.

Posted by: Randy Search (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: December 01, 2005 04:46PM

Dan,
Here's yet another blank worth considering. I built a striped bass spinning rod for a guy in Jersey that sounds familiar to what your needs are.
The blank was a Seeker SPS78 7'8" 12-30 lb one-piece. I wasn't able to actually fish with it but it had a very nice and solid feel to it. I think the blank was gloss black if I remember correctly. It also cost a small fortune to ship. Randy.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an1.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: December 01, 2005 05:46PM

Randy
I have shipped to Cal, and Alaska, I'm in Jersey, now there is a small fortune. Think I only lack two or three states now .

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 01, 2005 06:29PM

I'll second the GUSA surf assasin. I picked up a medium model strickly for throwing large sluggos and 1/2 oz swimming plugs at stripers. Its a fast action blank thats very light in the hand. The 3 ft butt section is tough to get used to visually...but I'm getting used to it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster