I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Trim Tabs Metallic Thread A Guidebod Problems
Posted by: Jeffrey Wolfanger (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: November 30, 2005 10:51PM

I am having some problems with trim tabs. This is my first rod....No problems with wrapping just triming....The thread I am using is shinny metalic like thread guidbrod is the company that makes it. It isn't nylon, my main wraps are nylon A.

Anyhow, when I go to cut it it splits into two pieces, and sort of unravels. If it doesn't do it then, it might come unraveled latter, when I am wrapping other guides, any ideas guys.....

Thanks,

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trim Tabs Metallic Thread A Guidebod Problems
Posted by: Andy Dear (---.stic.net)
Date: November 30, 2005 11:10PM

Hey Jeff....missed you at lunch with Ellis the other day:

FYI, a "trim tab" is mechanism that goes on the transom of a boat to adjust the position of the boat's bow to cut through the water reducing pounding, drag, and engine laboring.

I think you mean a "trim band"

My advice to you is make the 10 minute drive to Ellis's house with a 6 pack of Dos Equis in hand and maybe...MAYBE if you ask politely he'll show you.

Andy Dear
Lamar Manf.

Posted by: Jeffrey Wolfanger (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: November 30, 2005 11:14PM

Andy Dear Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey Jeff....missed you at lunch with Ellis the
> other day:
>
> FYI, a "trim tab" is mechanism that goes on the
> transom of a boat to adjust the position of the
> boat's bow to cut through the water reducing
> pounding, drag, and engine laboring.
>
> I think you mean a "trim band"
>
> My advice to you is make the 10 minute drive to
> Ellis's house with a 6 pack of Dos Equis in hand
> and maybe...MAYBE if you ask politely he'll show
> you.
>
>
> Andy Dear
> Lamar Manf.

LOL......

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.tvlres.jcu.edu.au)
Date: December 01, 2005 02:54AM

Sounds like you're using a little too much on narrow bands of the metallic thread. It's a fine balance, and also depends on how many trim wraps are being used. For narrow bands, slacken off the tension a little: the core of the thread is polyester, and stretches a bit more than regular nylon: end result is if there is not enough by way of tensioned wraps to hold the tag underneath, it contracts and pulls itself out when you cut it flush.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.clis.com.136.174.12.in-addr.arpa)
Date: December 01, 2005 11:58AM

I think I understand. After tying off your trim band it pops back out...is that right?

I try to insert my trim band tie off loop before finishing (or starting) my main wrap. That way when tying off, the trim thread not only goes under itself but also under a portion of the main wrap. Extra insurance as I hate for those little suckers to come unraveled too! Best of luck!

*Extremely helpful when making single or double thread trim bands.

Jay

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2005 12:08PM by Jay Lancaster.

Posted by: Jeffrey Wolfanger (128.42.232.---)
Date: December 02, 2005 09:59AM

Jay-

Good idea, I did some further research on working with trim bands after this post. However, more particularly I am having difficulty dealing with this thread it unravels when bent or cut quite often it is very fustrating. Anyone have any input on that is it possible the thread is bad, it is seperating way to often.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (63.168.119.---)
Date: December 02, 2005 10:41AM

You have to be careful with the HT metallics in the way that you handle it. As already stated there is a thin metal layer coving a polyester core. That outer layer is fairly fragile. I don't let it slide between my fingers like I do regular nylon thread (although I generally don't do that with nylon either). You can easily mangle the metallic with your fingers. I have never had a problem of it unraveling badly when simply being cut. I guess its possible the thread might have been wrapped wrong in manufacturing? I'd say try another spool.

Jay

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: December 02, 2005 10:46AM

It sounds like you might be having trouble with the way the thread comes off the spool; putting a twist in the thread causing the outer wrapped metallic sheath to go bzoing on ya...

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Mikko Stenberg (---.kotopas.fi)
Date: December 03, 2005 02:54AM

Yes - a twist in a tinsel is never a good thing. Avoid those. Hackle pliers are pretty good help in handling tinsels. Perhaps a tiny bit of super glue might help too although it tends to show just a little in the result - if you know that it's there. ;)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster