I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Results of 3 different guide spacings.
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.sanarb01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: November 30, 2005 03:35PM

Since there’s no help initially to determine what size guides are required for the New Guide Concept, I ordered them at Fuji specs of 30-16-10-8L-7-7-6-6-6 for an 8’ Rainshadow IP965 (plus a 12 & 20). I spaced these out with a 30-16-10-8L-7-6-6 in accordance with the NGC and found it cast 1/3 oz lead (.344 to be exact) consistently about 30 paces or 90’. Because of about 18” between the 30 and 16, I could see the line sag pretty badly between the spool and the butt guide during the cast and the static test looked blah..

I changed the guide sizes around to 30-20-12-8L-6-6-6-6 (one more guide than before) and it cast consistently around 35 paces or 105’. And the there was less sagging between the spool and butt guide as well and the static test looked better.

Then I mounted the guides 30-16-10-8L-7-7-6-6-6 (an increase of another guide) at Fuji initial recommended spacings and it cast consistently about 33 paces and the line between the spool and butt guide looked even better. The static test looked better than ever. Then I took a ½ oz weight (getting closer to a treble, spawn bag, and slinky for Salmon) and it cast consistently at 40 paces or 120’

This rod will be for Salmon fishing only so my main objective is fighting fish, not casting distance. I’m using a Fuji NPS reel seat with a 5” fore grip turned down to the same diameter so your hand can slide up fairly easy to balance it after the cast. This also will help my brother reach higher up the blank (22” max. according to Baston’s) to fight Salmon. I could probably do another NGC set up with a 25mm as a butt guide but the 30mm sits 26 ¼” from the spool face now at the Fuji specs and it seems to control the line very well.

The rod needs about 1 ½ ozs to balance it right now but I’ve got a lot of masking tape holding these guides on so I don’t really know what the difference will be with thread and finish. The Fuji specs look pretty good to me, what would be the reasons for NOT going with this setup? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Results of 3 different guide spacings.
Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.252.144.216.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: November 30, 2005 03:56PM

Nuttin' .

You like it ?

You go with it !

Tight lines to all ~~

Posted by: Andrew White (66.204.20.---)
Date: November 30, 2005 04:06PM

Sounds like you did your homework. And, one advantage of using more guides is that your stress distribution should be great.

Go for it.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 30, 2005 04:15PM

If it works the way you want, there is not reason not to do it that way. But I'd also try setting it up as I have outlined it in the library here. I think you might be able to get a few more feet out of it, if you want.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 30, 2005 08:43PM

Tim,
I think to misunderstood something if you read the article in the library. 18 in. between the stripper and the tamer guides seems exsessive
to me.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: joe lucas (65.118.17.---)
Date: November 30, 2005 08:46PM

a lot depends upon the size reel you are using for the size of your first guide.i guess i am from the old school 30,20,16. and so on.i will useally place my guides then load up my rod.if good arch,the i work on line slap.then casting distance.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 30, 2005 09:06PM

All those intermediate sizes along the running guide portion would not be used if the article in the library is followed. You'll never get a straight line path with those sizes.

Posted by: joe lucas (65.118.17.---)
Date: November 30, 2005 09:13PM

i agree with tom i just went by what guides you had.

Posted by: William Colby (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 30, 2005 10:05PM

I don't know how your first few guides work out pathwise but you can dump the 8L and the 7's and just move directly to 6's. Those other little guides just upset things in-between there. You don't need them.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (137.219.130.---)
Date: November 30, 2005 11:02PM

Replace the 8L with the 7, and then 6's out to the tip. I tried all that you went through, and found this setup to cast best.

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.sanarb01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: December 01, 2005 08:31AM

I did follow the article in the library as described in test #2 which gave the farthest cast by 2 yards. With a 52mm spool, I opted for a 30mm butt guide that wound up 22" from the spool - at the far edge of the article's recommended 17" - 23". If I had used a 25mm butt guide, it would have fallen in the 26" range. But Fuji's specs with a 30mm butt guide put it 26 1/4" from the spool's face as well - I just didn't order a 25mm as a spare.

That is the only annoying thing I find about the concept system. It's been stated as fact that a specific reel will intersect a blank at the same point regardless of it's overall length - just add more running guides. So a given rod blank with line ratings such as 4-6lb, 6-12lb, 8-17lb or 10-20lb - each of these generally would take a sucessive larger reel (and spool size). And as stated before, the "normal" industry standard is a 4 degree upsweep. And it would seem that the majority of size 4000 series reels for example, a certain "size range" of the lower guides would be fairly consistant - all you would have to space them according to how they line up on the table edge.

If I had built 100 spinning rods, I would think that knowing the line rating and reel size for project #101, I would have a pretty good idea what the lower guide sizes are going to work. I just don't like the idea of having to order 3-4 extra guides since I may only going to make 2 or 3 more spinning rods in my lifetime. I've seen suggested guide sizes for fly rods on this forum based on length and line weight - seems we could suggest ahead of time the probable lower guide sizes for specific weight spinning rods.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.45.48.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: December 01, 2005 12:59PM

if you tend to use the same type and company guides you can make up " sizing guides " of cheap guides and save them to size rods this way you know what guides to order.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster