I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

My thoughts on ThreadMaster Epoxy
Posted by: Bob Meiser (---.dhcp.mdfd.or.charter.com)
Date: November 30, 2005 02:48PM

Quick and sweet....I loved the stuff...};^)...!!!

Just finished 6 rods....All over 13'

This epoxy has a very long pot life, yet quick to cure for re-coat....A very important combination for production building.

I was able to first coat an entire 15 ft rod, including inscription, and feather inlay in one 3cc batch.

...Same with the second final coat.

The ThreadMaster takes a torch very well <> I do a lot of torching to remove bubbles (especially at the feather inlays) and to distribute epoxy into the tunnels, thread edges etc. quickly.

It cured Crystal clear with very flat viscosity during cure time.....Nice hard finish when dry.

I'm a firm beleiver in the old adage " If it ain't broke <> don't fix it " : This ESPECIALLY true for my shop epoxy work....

Been waiting a long time for a more workable and efficient finish then FlexCoat, (I've tried them all) and for my needs <> ThreadMaster is just that.

Good Job Andy....Now you need to get bigger bottles...I lke big jugs !!!

Meiz

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: My thoughts on ThreadMaster Epoxy
Posted by: Robert crabtree (---.nas20.chicago4.il.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: November 30, 2005 03:02PM

mines on the way ..............one batch for a rod that long thats great because i got a few float rods ranging from 13 to 15 ft to knock out all so time consuming when you have to mix more and more wich ads drying time cant wait to try it out.................tight wraps Crabtree's custom rods

Posted by: Bill Karayannis (203.185.214.---)
Date: November 30, 2005 03:23PM

Andy,

I've sent you 2 emails regarding shipping to Australia and have not have a response ????

I'd really like to give Thread Master a go, I'm not entirley happy with the current epoxy I use and I'm looking for an alternative.

Cheers,
Bill K.

Posted by: Mikko Stenberg (---.kotopas.fi)
Date: November 30, 2005 03:37PM

Bill, try Andy's other email addres: aldear@stic.net

Posted by: Bill Karayannis (203.185.214.---)
Date: November 30, 2005 05:07PM

Thanks Mikko

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 30, 2005 05:52PM

Hey Andy where is mine??? Along with that new mandrel. I think you just go fishing too much and don't ship products fast enough. (Just kidding)

Ed Smith
Flat Rock, NC

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.stic.net)
Date: November 30, 2005 05:52PM

Yeah...I don't know what the deal is with my isp...2 different email addresses, same provider, one likes foreigners, and the other doesnt!!! I sent you an email back Bill....let me know if you get it or not.

Thanks for the kind words Bob, I really felt it was time somebody did the homework and got it right. I was lucky to find an exceptional chemist who did what I asked him, and here we are.
For all you CP addicts, just wait....were gonna blow the doors down on that technoology as well!

I'll have BIGGER bottles in the next few weeks!

Cast 'em tight bro's

Andy

Date: November 30, 2005 05:56PM

Ed,
If I could find a machinist that would let my mandrels take presedence over the custom NASCAR parts he makes....then I'd really have something!

Andy

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 30, 2005 06:04PM

I'm sure NASCAR is more bucks than Andy Dear. (But what if his engine blows?-I once worked for Goodyear racing tire division) If the larger bottles become avaliable before the mandrel let me know. I'd like to get a larger set of bottles. (16-32 oz)

Ed

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 30, 2005 07:45PM

Nascar parts??..."Lamars Talladega Lathe 500"!!........Fast! ...... but I'll settle for bigger bottles of finish and CP.

Date: November 30, 2005 07:59PM

Hey Meiser,
You know Kirkman said the same thing about the re-coat time. It's like the potlife is 30 min. BUT it's sag-free in an hour. I'd like to tell you I had that in mind when we designed it, but that part was a happy accident!

Andy

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 30, 2005 08:44PM

Andy - I also noticed the 0 to 60 set up time. I haven't sat there with a stopwatch to see just how long it takes where I can shut off the motor, but it's definately less than 3 hours in my drying box.

Glad to see others like this stuff as well. Also happy to see the CP experiment was mentioned here. Andy's on teh right track with that, I'm sure he's gonna get it RIGHT and address all teh issues each CP on the market today has. Water thin, no bubbles, perfect color retention, no bizarra formula's to get the consitancy the way it's supposed to be - 1 coat, no haze, no crystals. And your cat won't try lapping some up becaus eit looks like Milk....although you may mistake it for a glass of water that's how clear & watery it was.

Posted by: Bob Meiser (---.dhcp.mdfd.or.charter.com)
Date: November 30, 2005 11:12PM

Yup,

Ya done good bud....Good on ya.

Meiz

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster