I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

blank line weight / to fish weight
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an3.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: November 30, 2005 08:30AM

Is there any percentage of the line test a blank uses to the weight of the fish and how deep you fish it, to figure out what blank to pick ?
Like bass are generally fished with any where from 6 lb test up to 25 lb test and they are only 6-8 lbs and in weeds. Average of what 4 lbs. Big one of 12-14 ? So in the weeds add some and go 8-10 lb.

So if I am going for a 40 lb fish in at it's largest, deep fishing, should I look at a blank that handles 60-80 lb test line, or a blank of say 1/2 that or 2/3 that.

I usually look at the fish, it's weight, then maybe if deep on the bottom then how deep.
6-20 ft lake or 80-150 ft deep salt.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: blank line weight / to fish weight
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: November 30, 2005 08:58AM

Well, that's a lot to take in. I generally try to match my line to the blank I'm using and not go so heavy that I put the blank in jeopardy. Or vice versa - if I know I'm going to use a particular test line, I will look at a blank that will handle it.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an2.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: November 30, 2005 09:52AM

But should not the weight of the fish be considered in that formula ?
I mean like weight of the fish - line weight to handle fish - blank to handle line weight ?

Then of course lure weight to throw, how deep the fish for extra weight. Structure.

Posted by: Joe Brenner (---.swifttrans.com)
Date: November 30, 2005 10:18AM

Bill,

I think you have to consider several other things....how are you fishing. If you are fishing for bass in heavy cover you need a heavier rod. People catch 40 lb salmon on 6lb line with a 12 foot long rod in rivers. How much line capacity does your reel hold? If you are having to cast you are not going to be using really heavy line.

I think the answer would be different for most people you ask depending on how, what and where they are going to fish.

I think that is what is so great about rod building...you can build the rod you want for your own needs!

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.tci.com)
Date: November 30, 2005 10:18AM

When I am looking at blanks or completed rods the most important concideration to me would be the type of bait or lure presentation that
it would be used for most. Then I consider the amount of pressure generated on the rod when fighting the fish.
For example, if I am throwing spinners for king salmon ( 10-40LBS AVERAGE SIZE) I want a rod with a Med/fast action and a light tip and
because I use 12-14lb line I want the rod to handle about 20lbs. If I am jigging or mouching for the same fish I can get away with using a much
heavier rod with a very/fast and heavier tip section because the jigs are heavier and I can set the hook hard and put much more pressure on the
fish. The heavier rod would not throw the 5/8 - 1oz. spinners very well and also be hard on the fisherman.
A lot of bass fisherman use very heavy line as compaired to the line test rating of the rod mostly because of types of structure the line needs
to be in contact with durring the presentation and the abrasion resistance of the heavier line. Just because they might use 25-30lb braid that
does not always mean they are putting that much pressure on the fish or the rod.
Specific presentaion types are what the blank manufactures use in designing there blanks. IE: popping, Hot Shot, Crankbait, Jigging, etc.

Hope this helps

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Date: November 30, 2005 10:45AM

Looks like a possible starting point would be about 50% of the " max " weight of the fish.
So a blank that can handle 20 lb test, then of course lure size.
Just trying to simplfy picking a blanks out of the choises out there. Soooo many.

So far no one has broke any rods - knock on wood

Posted by: sam fox (---.jan.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 30, 2005 10:47AM

Bill,
I,ll have to agree with Ray. My experience here has been in heavy cover for bass. By heavy cover I,m talking logs and stumps and stick ups from old flooded timber. Most bass fishermen in this area will use 30 to 40 lb braided lineto handle bass from 2 to 15 lbs. The abrasion factor must be taken into consideration without losing sensitivity. Most of my own fishing is with 3/8 to 5/8 jigs and pork. My rods run from medium to heavy action. Right now my favorite for pulling bass out of heavy cover is a heavy wt 7ft. rod.You have to literally pul them out of the cover before you can fight one. Short distance flipping and pitching are the most common techniques used, even the you can get a lot of break offs due to the cover. A short time ago I was using a jig and pig in what was an old flooded field filled with fence wire and stick ups. Had a good bass of maybe 8 + lbs on and he came to the surface on the other side of a chain link fence. I wa s using too light a line (17 lb mono) and he cut it like a knife going thru hot butter.

Date: November 30, 2005 11:02AM

A man made lake with fences and wire on them. No wonder you have to use such heavy line.
That's some nasty stuff. Guess ya got to know what's down there.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ca-sanfranc0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: November 30, 2005 11:26AM

I'm with Joe and Raymond. Fish don't weight nothing in the water, or they wouldn't be floating around swimming. Teeth and sharp gill plates have their considerations. I concern myself with what I'm going to have to use to get to the fish, and how much control I need on him once he's on. If I'm fishing catch and release it changes considerably toward more control on the fish.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.242.177.149.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: November 30, 2005 11:28AM

I'm with Joe and Raymond. Fish don't weight nothing in the water, or they wouldn't be floating around swimming. Teeth and sharp gill plates have their considerations. I concern myself with what I'm going to have to use to get to the fish, and how much control I need on him once he's on. If I'm fishing catch and release it changes considerably toward more control on the fish.

Date: November 30, 2005 11:44AM

That makes sence. Only when you take them out of the water gravity takes hold. Interesting, never thought of that. Thanks Spencer Only press " post " once LOL

Posted by: Andrew White (66.204.20.---)
Date: November 30, 2005 04:30PM

When I'm bass fishing, it has everything to do with cover, water color, and size of fish. If I'm fishing a lake with quite a bit of cover, dingy water, and big fish (e.g. Fork), then I'm going to use a rod that is suited for 20 lb. test, and yanking big fish away from cover in a hurry. If I'm fishing my home lakes, which have clear water, little cover (other than rock-piles), and fish in the 1-6 lb. range, then I'm going to fish 8 or 10 lb. test on a ML or M rod. And, the above explanation mentions nothing about having certain rods for certain types of baits (i.e. crankbaits).

Now, when I'm fly fishing for trout, I typically drop down to a 3 wt. rod, even though the fish I'm going after can be pretty large. Here the mitigating factor is tippet size (i.e. the fish won't bite on anything larger than 6x tippet, and 7x is common). Consequently, the tippet will likely break before I'm really putting much stress on the blank.

I guess what I'm trying to say is this: In each situation, the major factors for line size (and therefore blank diameter and power) change. You just have to be aware of what your mitigating factors are and adjust accordingly.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nj-01.cvx.algx.net)
Date: November 30, 2005 05:12PM

The main reason I asked is cause I got a girl that wanted a rod for her boyfriend. Did not know what he used so knowing the fish I looked around for a happy medium. heaviest was about 42 lbs. so I figured split that add a little and maybe a 6'6 or 7' for 25-30 line. Then if he used heaver line the rod would be in danger.
Finialy she is giving him a Gift Certificat and he will contact me after Christmas ??? Then I can talk to him and get just what he wants.

Thanks guys Always on the look out to fit some one with the perfict blank or rod.

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: December 02, 2005 08:54AM

I think it depends more on the type of fishing environment, and preference than the weight of the fish. At times I have used a 7wt blank as a spinning rod and 4# line for Chinook Salmon out of Lake Superior. I have landed fish around 20# with a rig like that and never broke a rod and rarely broke off a fish. So I really believe it depends on what type of fish and where than simply the size of the fish.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster