I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank Suggestion for Snook Fishing
Posted by: Don Jones (---.UNUSED.EPIX.NET)
Date: November 29, 2005 08:47PM

I am looking for blank and guide suggestions for a spinning rod. I have a friend that wants me to build a 6’ spinning rod for snook fishing. I’ve only built bass rods up to this point and I’ve never even fished for snook. After doing a little reading it would seem that most prefer a longer rod for snook but this guy seems pretty set on 6 foot. I was thinking Fuji Titanium for the guides but to keep cost down is there other options that will work just as good? Looking at a few rods on the web, it looks like a cork handle should do just fine as opposed to EVA. Also, up to now, all handles, including spinning that that I’ve done have been split grip. I would think that would be a benefit for this type of rod as well, as it would make it lighter and more sensitive. Any other info or suggestions would be great.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank Suggestion for Snook Fishing
Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 29, 2005 09:37PM

Don,
I have not fished Snook in quite a few years and maybe someone will have better or more up to date advice but I think that you are right your friend is looking for a rod that is a little short for Snook. I would prefer a rod that was 7 or even 71/2 feet longT I think that you are also on the right track with titanium guides or at least the titanium plated guides as salt water can be very corrosive. As far as blanks are concerned I would look first at some of the heavier Mag Bass blanks. They have a lot of power in the butt yet fairly light tips and are available from a number of the sponsors on the left. Because of the power of these fish and they way they usually bite agressively the rod does not need to be super sensitive so I would not look at expensive high modulus blanks but rather look at a blank of an intermediate modulus graphite

Date: November 29, 2005 09:37PM

Don,
I have not fished Snook in quite a few years and maybe someone will have better or more up to date advice but I think that you are right your friend is looking for a rod that is a little short for Snook. I would prefer a rod that was 7 or even 71/2 feet longT I think that you are also on the right track with titanium guides or at least the titanium plated guides as salt water can be very corrosive. As far as blanks are concerned I would look first at some of the heavier Mag Bass blanks. They have a lot of power in the butt yet fairly light tips and are available from a number of the sponsors on the left. Because of the power of these fish and they way they usually bit agressively the rod does not need to be super sensitive so I would not look at expensive high modulus blanks but rather look at a blank of an intermediate modulus graphite

Date: November 29, 2005 09:43PM

How do I get rid of a double post?
How do I get rid of a double post?
The edit function does not seem to get the job done.
The edit function does not seem to get the job done.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2005 09:46PM by Emory Harry.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.mo-stlouis0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: November 29, 2005 09:48PM

Andy Dear at Lamar Reelseats recommended a blank that got rave reveiws from a customer who used it. The SWS540, he had 3 or 4 left last time we talked. A 7 ft 8 in blank. He also recommended a All Star 6 ft 10 in blank that the customer liked also, but he really loved the 540. I bought a few extras, at the prices he wanted I couldn't turn them down.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: November 29, 2005 09:53PM

So much depends on what this guy will throw and how far and how big the fish are that there is little point in getting too specific at this point. Chances are that a nice graphite 6'6" medium or medium heavy power rod blank with a fast taper rated for about 12-15# test line and 3/8th to 1.25 oz lures would be a good start and fit the bill. Lots of options out there for such a rod blank, among saltwater series, heavier largemouth bass tackle and some lighter musky rods. Think of fish of 3 - 8# for typical snook sizes. Build accordingly. Snook are great gamefish and fairly unforgiving when around structure, and often line shy, but nothing mystical beyond that. ... Best Wishes, -Cliff Hall+++, Gainesville, FL-USA

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.012.dsl.qld.iprimus.net.au)
Date: November 29, 2005 10:35PM

What's your mate using braid or mono,

From what I understand the Snook is very similar to Barramundi, Barra rods here in Australia vary greatly but some popular blank choices I would suggest to a customer seeking a barra rod would be if using braid GLoomis CB756 or if using mono either a GL2 or GL3 MB844 either of these I build as baitcasters or spin rod. Actually I better order one of those ALPS triangular reel seats from the Rodworks so that I can finish my wifes MB844 GL2 spin. I only chimed in on this as I have talked to a lot of US guys fishing here for barra and say they are very similar in habits and behavior.

Posted by: Don Jones (65.213.88.---)
Date: November 30, 2005 08:08AM

I believe he uses mono. I would categorize him as a casual fisherman. He has a home in FL and when down there he likes to go out for snook. Thanks for all the input so far.

Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: November 30, 2005 10:53AM

Don paramount importance is find out how he plans on using the rod. I can think of at least two reasons why the shorter rod is prefered- first is fishing in narrow canals enclosed by mangroves, another is some like to cast under docks similar to bass fishing in both cases a shorter rod is necessary, as for blanks as has been mentioned sensitivity is not much of an issue, I prefer bass casting blanks they have generally a litle more power then spinners of the same line weight. the most common is 8-17lb
John

Posted by: Joe Meehan (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 30, 2005 11:47AM

Hi Don,

Take a look at our emerald green Matrix series AMSJ722 fast action spin jig blank in 6' 6-12. Lots of power in the butt with the Matrix twill. Save a pile of money with our Titanium framed Titan guides. No corrosion in saltwater, half the weight of SS, and they feature the new NanoLite ring which extends line life.

Warmest regards, Joe Meehan, American Tackle

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.north-highland.com)
Date: November 30, 2005 05:58PM

I occasionally get to fish for Snook in SW Fla. Either along backcountry mangrove shorelines during the day or under dock lights at night. If not fly fishing, I often cast side arm or under hand to skip topwaters (eg, Mirrolures) or buck tails deep into the mangroves during the day or under dock lights at night. I like 6' medium or medium/hvy "bass casting blanks" set up as spinning (e.g., St Croix 3C60MF or 3C60MHF). I like the shorter length because I can control it better off a bay boat casting deck. The power, especially in the butt, is to turn the fish before it gets into the mangrove roots or wraps a couple hundred times around a dock piling. Sensitivity is not necessary. As mentioned above, it's about stealth and presentation to get the fish to strike, after that it's combat fishing. I do however keep the rod as light as possible (split grip, no fore grip, etc) but that is just to keep the wear-&-tear down on my arm during a full day casting on the water. Plus, I've grown to like the look.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster