I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Aftcote Question
Posted by: Mike Kulick (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 29, 2005 10:18AM

I tried Aftcote for the first time and was not completely satisfied with it. It dries crystal clear and levels itself very nicely but I could not get it to dry 100%. I mixed about 12 batches and tried it on bare blanks and over thread and every time it was just a bit tacky. I could not get it to dry hard and tack free. Humidity and temp. was not an issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Tight lines.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Aftcote Question
Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: November 29, 2005 10:34AM

Mike some questions. Are you using the same containers for mixing ,perhaps changing them? How long are you letting it dry? Ive heard of guys waiting 2or 3 day. If your drawing up the solutions up in a syringe could they be contaminated?

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.hlrn.qwest.net)
Date: November 29, 2005 10:55AM

Just a thought here...but maybe its some of the older,initial formulation where this WAS an issue? I had read that its been revamped to better suit us rodbuilders in the way of setting and curing time. I have seen posts from others like billy V that indicate it is a better product now. Faster cure time.
Chuck

Posted by: Mike Kulick (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 29, 2005 11:45AM

I tried mixing it in a few different containers and let it dry for 3 days but still had a little bit of tackiness. It's possible that it is the older formula, how would I be able to tell. I tried using syringes, 3 different pairs, all brand new and measured it out with small measuring/mixing cups. No luck with any way. It wasn't so tacky that it would leave a finger print but your finger stuck for a secong and you could put a mark with your finger nail easily.

Posted by: Randy Search (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: November 29, 2005 11:57AM

Mike,
I use Aftcote on a regular basis and I get excellent results. But, I've found (through trial and error) a couple of things that make things easier. My routine is pretty lengthy so I don't want to elaborate here and bore everyone but would be glad to send you the info to your email address if you'd like. Randy.

Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: November 29, 2005 12:04PM

Mike , sounds like this is a job for AFCOTE ! Why don't you call the company and speak to a technical adviser, they are usually very helpful and if it is an old bottle I'll bet they will replace it.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: November 29, 2005 12:04PM

When you say "tackiness" - do you actually leave a fingerprint in the finish after you touch it? Or is it tacky like a brand new rubber basketball? Aftcote is very rubbery, years (I've used it for 2) later I can put a fingernail dent in the finish, 10 minutes later it looks like new. Personally, I liked Aftcote, but I have had trouble with it when transporting rods in my car or in a Bazooka Tube to Charlotte. When teh guides rub on the finish, it sometimes "chunks" a piece of finish out. Keep in mind I like a high build up of epoxy on my guides.

I've been very impressed with Andy's new ThreadMaster finish, it stays just as clear as Aftcote, adn dries hard. I haven't had a problem on my rods with cracking, but I haven't put them throuhg the ringer enough to say just how flexible it is and if it resists cracking after a lot of use.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: November 29, 2005 12:06PM

Mike Kulick Wrote:

> It wasn't so tacky that it would leave a finger print but your finger stuck for a secong and you could
> put a mark with your finger nail easily.

That is normal with Aftcote. I didnt' see this when I posted the first time above.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.clis.com)
Date: November 29, 2005 03:00PM

I love Aftcote, and I have yet to use the 'new' formula. Even with the slower curing 'old' stuff I'm able to get it to set in 4-6 hours, comfortable in handling it in 6-8 hours, and have even wrapped over it with additonal thread in about 10 hours. I apply my finish in a heated room that sometimes may get to 110+ degrees. This really helps the Aftcote to cure. The stuff levels beautifully.

Jay

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: November 29, 2005 05:44PM

I use Aftcote and do nothing special at all and love it. Never once have I had a cureing problem. Mine is probably the "new" stuff and it works great. My dry time at normal room temp is overnight + or -. I usually put it on late at night and take it off the turner on the AM....about 6-8 hours? and it's good to go.

DR

Posted by: Ed Grella (69.183.3.---)
Date: November 29, 2005 08:04PM

Acording to the Aftco rep at Merrick's open house, the new formula has better UV properties. No difference in the cure time. Ed

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster